Les Miserables?

Discussion in 'Books' started by youngnpassion, Apr 17, 2013.

1. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

I've wanted to read this for a long time and now that I have some time off prior to starting training, I wanted to know if people thought it was worth the 1400 (?) pages or so? I have no issue with long books, just didn't know if this story has been over-hyped over the years. I love history, fantasy, historical fiction, all that stuff. Is this book worth the read?

2. PEACEFUL LIBRA

PEACEFUL LIBRA DAMN RIGHT I'M A WEIRDO

the book at least for me was hard to understand

3. Mike Suicide

Mike Suicide Sweet and Tender Hooligan

It's an excellent read and a really great story. I recommend finding a good translation, the free ones on the internet are really bad and hard to comprehend. There's also some really boring parts that are just unrelated back story about political and social events in France at the time, just take it page by page and you'll get thru it.

4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

[​IMG]

Too bad there isn't a shorter, more simple version, huh

5. Mike Suicide

I think there is, I've heard about abridged and unabridged versions. My guess is the abridged versions have all the unrelated stuff taken out.

6. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

yeah I definitely bought the unabridged...it's huge

7. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

And then there's always this!

[​IMG]

8. Mike Suicide

9. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Oui.

10. neodude1212

neodude1212 Senior Member

This is correct.
    There are portions of the book that will make you think that Hugo intended the title of the book to evoke the image of his readers.
    There are some gems if you are willing to wade through a lot incredibly indulgent writing.
    Also, Hugo was rabidly nationalistic to the point of causing the non-19th-century-French-reader physical pain, so be ready for that.

11. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

haha..well thanks for the warning...hmm...this is all making me re-think my decision...

12. DrewSpeaksTrue

DrewSpeaksTrue Member

Its a beautiful, tragic, story...Victor Hugo is always worth reading. People get turned off because he tends to use an incredible amount of very detailed language and it can be exhausting and the stories are intricately woven. I suggest having something to cry into like a towel because its a tear jerker. A great story of justice, injustice, sacrifice, redemption, plus the french revolution kicks ass.

13. youngnpassion

youngnpassion Member

I do really love the french revolution...one of my favorite periods in world history...