Lemon Meringue Cake

Discussion in 'Desserts and Sweets' started by Bella Désordre, May 12, 2007.

1. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I started making this this morning to take to mother's day tommorow. I will let you know how it turns out when I put the meringue on it tommorow. So far so good though
    http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=9bdbe38e6ec0f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=cake&rsc=ns2006_r5

Makes one 9-inch layer cake

• 2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans<LI class=odd>3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
    • 1 tablespoon baking powder<LI class=odd>1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 2 cups sugar<LI class=odd>5 large eggs
    • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract<LI class=odd>1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
    • 1 cup milk<LI class=odd>1 1/4 cups Lemon Curd
    • 2 recipes Meringue
    Directions

1. To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter two 9-inch round cake pans. Flour pans, tapping out excess; set aside. In a medium bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
    2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating to combine after each addition. Beat in the vanilla and the lemon zest. Add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Beat until just combined.
    3. Divide batter between prepared pans. Bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven, and let stand in pans until cool, about 1 1/2 hours.
    4. Remove cakes from pans. Using a serrated knife, trim tops of cakes. Slice each cake horizontally into 3 layers. Place one layer on a serving platter. Spread with 1/4 cup lemon curd. Top with second layer of cake. Spread with 1/4 cup curd. Repeat with remaining cake and curd, finishing with a layer of cake. Transfer to refrigerator until ready to use, at least 2 hours.
    5. Remove cake from refrigerator. Spread a thin even layer of meringue over sides of cake. Mound the remaining meringue on top of cake. Use a handheld torch to brown meringue.
    • 16 large egg yolks<LI class=odd>1 cup sugar
    • 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice<LI class=odd>12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    • Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
    Directions

1. Prepare an ice water bath; set aside. Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar in a medium heatproof bowl. Add the lemon juice, butter, and lemon zest. Place over a pan of simmering water and cook, whisking occasionally, until thick, about 15 minutes. Transfer bowl to ice water bath and let stand, stirring occasionally, until cool. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the curd. Transfer to refrigerator until completely cold, at least 2 hours
    • 2 cups sugar<LI class=odd>8 large egg whites, (1 cup)
    • 3 freshly squeezed lemon juice
    Directions

1. Combine the sugar, egg whites, and lemon juice in the bowl of an electric mixer set over a pan of simmering water. Whisk until sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes.
    2. Transfer bowl to the mixer stand fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on medium speed for 10 minutes. Increase to high speed and beat until stiff glossy peaks form, 10 to 15 minutes more.

2. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

Oooh, that sounds fantastic! Definitely let us know how that turns out. I think I'll have to make that sometime!

3. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

I will! :) I am nervous about tourching the meringue though. The only thing I have ever tourches is creme brulee and it's hard to mess that up!

4. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I want Iwant Iwant

5. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

You're going to love it Andy. We'll have to have it on your fake b-day with melon cosmos...it would go soooo well together.

6. Bella Désordre

Bella Désordre Charmed

It turned out beautiful. I put orange candied nesturshims (sp?) aroung the edge of the top and at the base and then sprinkled candied lemon zest all over the top. I must say I am very proud of myself. I made a cheesecake to take over as well. It has a tiny tiny crack in it though ):

Any tips on getting your cheesecake not to crack?