Legailisation of cannabis

Discussion in 'Protest' started by troopermk2, May 17, 2009.

1. troopermk2

troopermk2 Guest

Everybody knows that Cannabis can do no real damage, memory loss, trips (in very high doses), and my personal favorite hunger

I have searched all over the net to find out why cannabis is illegal
    look at holland, you dont hear much from them, they are very quiet dont cause much trouble.

ive been smoking it for roughly 3 years now and the worst ive had off it is being sick..everywhere.

But that brings back my main point, why is it illegal, please if anyone has any information on why it is illegal please reply

Free the weed

2. Drakor

Drakor Member

political reasons probably

3. oceanvagabond

oceanvagabond Guest

If you could buy weed at the corner store nobady would even start smoking tobacco...imagine all those job losses...

4. HushBull

HushBull Insuperior

Yes

5. JNature

JNature Member

Sadly, i think its political purposes. Obama probably doesnt want to be the first black president to legalize cannabis. That whole racial stigma might follow. A good point would be that the tobacco job loses would switch over to cannabis and hemp production. 30 different products that hemp creates is more than enough to stop tobacco. literally billions of dollars in revenue.

6. Drakor

Drakor Member

I was told by the history channel on a show called marijuana that it is the Mexican's fault because in the early 1900s Mexicans started to immigrate to the US in large numbers and they brought marijuana with them so the government made marijuana illegal to make the US an unsutiable place for pot-head mexicans to go and by the way things are today it didnt work so U say they should leaglize it already.

7. igpay atinlay

igpay atinlay Member

thats true drakor, they did the same to the chinese with opium and africans with cocaine

8. troopermk2

troopermk2 Guest

true that

9. Drakor

Drakor Member

hey the just need to make it legal so i can smoke it on my front step that is all i am saying its no worse than drinking a few beers and definetly no worse than drinking a bottle of vodka that and the government would save over 4 billion dollars from incarciration and policeing the matter

10. walsh

walsh Senior Member

I hear it causes speling problems. But I don't beleive that.

11. def zeppelin

def zeppelin All connected

12. antithesis

antithesis Hello

I've heard that as well.

13. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

there's a lot of threads around here regarding the issue, as well as articles online. From what I understand, it started as racial, then fear for health, but today its solely political. Conservative voters don't want it because they don't understand it, it scares them, and it would eat into profit of other existing products and materials such as cotton, paper, food, oil, medicine. They associate it as a drug like cocaine or meth. So the conservative politicians feed off that and of course, give the voters what they want in turn for money and their votes.

14. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

look up Aslinger and DuPont

15. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Aslinger was the biggest fucking asshole. I want to spit on his grave.

16. slappyman

slappyman Member

17. slappyman

slappyman Member

Don't forget Hearst

18. TheGratefulChinacat

TheGratefulChinacat Guest

It is associated with unfashionable lifestyles. The man thinks of hippies and stoners as menaces. It is perceived as addictive as well.
    the Controlled Substances Act of 1970 says marijuana is classified as a Schedule I drug. That means the man thinks marijuana is addictive. Nobody seems to make an appealing case as well. Congress won't take a hippie seriously. I did a report on it for school. I was high when i was researching the paper. And I did a speech on it as well.

19. paperairplane

paperairplane Banned

I hereby officially legalize cannabis for you all! let us partake.. with virtue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU2yI02SM-4"]YouTube - Cannabis Expert & Author Chris Conrad, 2008 CTC

20. Voileen

Voileen Member

The complications Ansligner brought about my making marijuana illegal has caused so much sorrow and havoc not only in this nation, but in the world.

Race is part of the issue - the lumber and cotton industries are the other part. The pure and simple fact of it is Ansligner, among a few others, were afraid of the potential of the hemp plant and used it as a scapegoat to get what they wanted (it was under his ordering that the propaganda film "Reefer Madness" was made and distributed to make people fear this "satanic devil weed").

I HIGHLY recommend the documentary Grass, narrated by Woody Harrelson. It is a very accurate view at the history of marijuana as it pertains to US law as well as how it has affected the drug war and the billions of dollars we have wasted on fighting marijuana alone.

I am a medical user- have been for 6 years. I have Lupus and Fibryomialgia. 8 years ago I was on between 20 and 25 various medications that destroyed my quality of life. Today I am on 3 - all natural medicines (the main one being marijuana) - getting ready to receive my doctorate in Anthropology living a very full and happy life. I can truly say this would not be the case without marijuana.

2 months ago I was arrested for the possession of marijuana. My medical card had expired and I needed $100 to renew it. I was going to do it - but when I got pulled over by a cop I was caught with 4 ounces in my car (used to make brownies and such). Because of the amount and the fact that I had $100 in my wallet as well as a scale which I keep for personal use only I was charged with 3 Class Felonies of Possession, Manufacturing, and Distribution (the only one I am actually "guilty" of is possession). I had a $50,000 bail and was treated as a criminal.

While I was in jail I saw multiple people in there for DUI's - driving drunk, putting people's lives at danger. All were let go right away. And here I was - a young woman, successful, strong, independent, getting my masters and doctorate - in jail for this "crime".

This all occurred in one of the most marijuana "friendly" states - Oregon.

I hired the best marijuana lawyer in the state and I am feeling very confident in fighting the system, which I have every intention of doing. Nevertheless what has happened to me and thousands of others EVERY DAY is ludicrous and flat-out wrong.

Let me share with you some statistics and information from the NORML website:

ur country's war on drugs places great emphasis on arresting people for smoking marijuana. In the last decade, 6.5 million Americans have been arrested on marijuana charges, a greater number than the entire populations of Alaska, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Vermont and Wyoming combined. In 2006, state and local law enforcement arrested 829,625 people for marijuana violations. Annual marijuana arrests have nearly tripled since the early 1990s, and is the highest number ever recorded by the FBI. As has been the case throughout the 1990s, the overwhelming majority of those charged with marijuana violations in 2006 -- 738,915 Americans (89 %) -- were for simple possession. The remaining 90,710 individuals were for "sale/manufacture", an FBI category which includes marijuana grown for personal use or purely medical purposes. These new FBI statistics indicate that one marijuana smoker is arrested every 38 seconds in America. Taken together, the total number of marijuana arrests for 2006 far exceeded the combined number of arrests for violent crimes, including murder, manslaughter, forcible rape, robbery and aggravated assault.

Like most Americans, people who smoke marijuana also pay taxes, love and support their families, and work hard to make a better life for their children. Suddenly they are arrested, jailed and treated like criminals solely because of their recreational drug of choice. State agencies frequently step in and declare children of marijuana smokers to be "in danger", and many children are placed into foster homes as a result. This causes enormous pain, suffering and financial hardship for millions of American families. It also engenders distrust and disrespect for the law and for the criminal justice system overall. Responsible marijuana smokers present no threat or danger to America or its children, and there is no reason to treat them as criminals, or to take their children away. As a society we need to find ways to discourage personal conduct of all kinds that is abusive or harmful to others. Responsible marijuana smokers are not the problem and it is time to stop arresting them.