leg cramps

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by icedteapriestess, Jun 15, 2006.

1. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

Woke up this morning for one of my many, many trips to the bathroom, only to discover that my calf muscle had seized. It is like it is stuck in a stretch, and is INCREDIABLY painful. Don't know why it has done this, but am guessing it has something to do with the pregnancy, as everything medically now has something to do with the pregnancy.

One woman I work with said I need to drink more water... but if I drink MORE water, I won't get any sleep at all... might as well strap myself to the toilet at night if I drink any more water.

Anyone else experiance leg cramps during the third trimester? And solutions?

2. sugrmag

sugrmag Uber Nerd

Oh, leg cramps were probably the worst part of pregnancy for me. They would be horrible and get me up in the middle of the night. Eat more bananas maybe?

3. Critter1223

Critter1223 Member

:) Oh how i hate those! "charlie horses"! Except I always get them in my feet. My mom always told me to put my feet on a cold floor when that happens. It works too. So next time you get one, go to a cold floor, it should help!

4. barefoot_kirstyn

barefoot_kirstyn belly flop

i HATED those!!!!!
    I would always stretch my legs in the middle if the night ands get them....the best thing I can suggest is to quicklly point your foot as far upwards as you can when you feel it coming....like insantly do it. It always worked for me! :D

5. Dakota's Mom

Dakota's Mom Senior Member

Leg cramps are usually caused by a potasium deficiency. Each bananas. I find that heat helps me. I get leg cramps a lot and I'm not pregnant. I have a thing that goes in the microwave. Don't know what it's called. I call it the "Hot Thing". Has rice in it. Anyway, I go back to bed with that on my leg and I can usually go back to sleep.

They suck. Hope yours get better soon.

Kathi

6. icedteapriestess

icedteapriestess linguistic freak

will have to give the banana thing a try... bought a bunch today. thanks ladies.

7. moon_flower

moon_flower Banned

Yea....Charlie Horses. I get them real bad....I did even before I was pregnant. I get them in my feet and calves.
    Eating a banana always take mine away.

8. Maggie Sugar

Maggie Sugar Senior Member

A calcium supplement might help, too. Wow, I remember those leg cramps, hurt like hell. I never gets cramps there when I am not pregnant, either.