Led Zep or Sabbath?

Discussion in 'Heavy Metal' started by gingerness, Jan 13, 2008.

1. gingerness

gingerness Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

A recent debate amonst my mates in the pub as to who was better for their era Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath or Deep Purple. Would be interested to here your view points.

2. I_kill_emos

I_kill_emos Member

Well to me Sabbath a zeppelin are far ahead of deep purple I enjoy deep purple but there arnt on the same level.

Sabbath and Zeppelin are both greats though Zeppelin had more mainstream success I think correct me if im wrong though, Id pick Sabbath but thats all down to personal taste.

3. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

This depends on which era of Black Sabbath you're speaking of.

Ozzy era early black sabbath takes the win, followed by led zeppelin, and then Dio era sabbath, Deep Purple and then the other vocalists eras of black sabbath.

4. gingerness

Im talking Ozzy era Sabbath and Mark II era Purple really.

Personally i love all 3 but Sabbath is probably my fav, followed by Purple, then Led Zep.

Led Zep did some amzing songs but theres also a load of shit on their albums, Sabbath albums to me have a lot less filler, just classic songs none stop.

5. I_kill_emos

I_kill_emos Member

Haha im only ever talkin Ozzy era Sabbath

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I have no clue who was better for their era, they're all highly influental bands and I love them all three. Personally I dig Black Sabbath the most, with Deep Purple with Blackmore and Gillan and Led Zeppelin on a shared second place :tongue:

7. Metallideth

Metallideth Sir

You're only getting part of the big picture.

8. I_kill_emos

I_kill_emos Member

Sabbath without ozzy just isnt Sabbath for me just as much as ozzy without sabbath is no where near as good.

9. Asmodean

The closer you get to the meaning
    The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming
    It goes on and on and on, heaven and hell
    I can tell, fool, fool!

Well, if it seems to be real, its illusion
    For every moment of truth, theres confusion in life
    Love can be seen as the answer, but nobody bleeds for the dancer
    And its on and on, on and on and on....

:D

That it's not as good as early Sabbath means that it still can be very very good ;). Especially with Dio on the vocals. Generally it's a downward spiral after Sabotage though, and maybe already after Sabbath bloody sabbath. But yeah, if you start as great as them you're bound to dissapoint at some time (like almost all bands)..

10. Azog 150

Azog 150 Member

Sabbath for me, then Led Zep, then Deep Purple...... But I only really listen to Sabbath on a regular basis, not the other two.

11. gingerness

Sabbath with Dio were still fantastic for me, after Dio left i dont really like em. Blizzard of Ozz is one of my favourite albums but after that Ozzys solo stuff just aint as good.

12. Asmodean

Same thoughts here!

13. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

Black Sabbath Vol.4 is the greatest metal album of all time. Ozzy's voice was at it's prime and the riffs were fuckin' amazing. St.Vitus Dance, the best song on the album, ( my opinion ), is a song that Zeppelin could only have dreamed of writing.

14. hailtothekingbaby

hailtothekingbaby Yowzers!

I have to say I only know the albums with Ozzy on vocals. But it sure beats Ozzy's solo stuff by about a thousand miles. I don't think I could choose between Sabbath, Zeppelin or Deep Purple, though. They all have their pros and cons.

15. sman

sman Member

All three are great bands, but I'm going to go with Zepp. Physical Graffiti was the first album I ever bought, and I still think it is one of the best out there. Someone mentioned filler on Zepp albums, I beg ot differ; one of the things I liked about Zepp-no filler.

16. chillwithmikey

chillwithmikey Member

Im going to have to go with zepp

17. Tom P.

Tom P. Member

zeppelin or sabbath for me. I don't know which i prefer. it depends what mood i'm in

18. WallOfSleep

WallOfSleep Member

Alright, well comparing bands is just.. silly cuz they are all so unique really.

However, Led Zeppelin as far as musical talent.... are PHENOMENAL. Talk about some of the best of the best. So in that aspect... I'd say LedZep.

However, 75% of the music I listen to was influenced by Sabbath in one way or another. I actually as sort of a joke made my will a couple years ago and at my funeral I want Planet Caravan playing followed by Hole in the Sky as I'm lowered into the ground. So...

Sabbath, hands down.

19. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

sabbath, led zep, purple, no doubt about it

20. ProggyMan

ProggyMan Member

They're all mediocre, overrated, cliche psuedo-Metal bands. Deep Purple I guess.