LED Lights For Growing

Discussion in 'LED Growing' started by PaperCutx, Dec 31, 2006.

1. PaperCutx

PaperCutx Member

I recently read about the LED lights that seem very suitable for growing. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction when it comes to using these. A store on ebay sells them for $20/ea in only the red and blue colors. Does anyone know if using a solid combination of these two colors could give good results? This is an auction for one of the blue lights:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Best-Blue-100-LED-Grow-Lights-on-the-Market_W0QQitemZ260071068533QQihZ016QQcategoryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

using these would really be ideal for me, and anyone else even

2. podious

podious Member

3. skullkidnate

skullkidnate ナサニエル

led cool idea

4. T.H. Cammo

T.H. Cammo Member

Hey PaperCutx!
    " I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction when it comes to using these. - - - Does anyone know if using a solid combination of these two colors could give good results? - - - Using these would really be ideal for me, and anyone else even. "

I've been trying to learn everything I can about LED grow lights. Over at UK420 they have some real "hard science" information going on in the "Lighting" section the thread is called "All about LED's".

Your link to Groovygrow is the only commercial site I've seen that tells the exact wavelengths of light they are giving off. The problem is that they are only using two wavelenghs 470nm and 630nm (I think). Most plants, including cannabis, absorb, pretty near, all thier light energy into the pigments Chlorophyll A and Chlorophyll B. Both of these have a dual peak of light absorbtion. What that means is - you need four wavelengths not two! The "ideal" wavelengths are 425nm,455nm in the Blue spectrum, and 635nm,660nm in the Red spectrum. I have yet to see a successful marijuana grow with "store bought" LED grow lights, because cannabis is a high energy plant - but the DIY'ers have had success. What we really need is someone on this forum that really knows his shit about working with LED's.

The problem is trying to understand the "Rocket Scientists" who try to explain this stuff. To be honest, anything you can buy "ready made" ain't going to work that well for growing marijuana at this point. We're still working on the "magic" combination. I'm sure when everything is figured out (a year or two) LED grow lights will be more popular than HID's, at least for private grows. There are so many benefits to using LED's, but the kinks haven't all been worked out yet. Just give it time!

5. hfcomer

hfcomer Guest

Try to give some suggestions, i am sorry but can't open the link. More and more people like led fluorescent lights as grow light, you may search them.

6. Tars

Tars Member

Like a lot of new technologies, LEDs are starting out at the high-priced end of the range. They may be the future of indoor growing, but their price needs to come down by a lot before they are widely-used.

I priced them recently, thinking to try one out experimentally. 1000w HPS (high presure sodium) are the most-used lights these days. Around here, one of these costs new $500-$600 per light, which will cover a 4'X4' area. To get LED coverage of the same area looks to cost over $2000. There would ostensibly be a large savings in utility bills over time by using the LEDs, and the hardware itself is said to last alot longer. But the upfront cost is very prohibitive at this point.

7. Naturalhi

Naturalhi Great hairy ape

Tars, don't know where ya got that figure but I got a 90w UFO from a store on eBay for $200 last year and it covers 4'x4' easily.

8. Tars

Tars Member

How's that working for you? Are you using it by itself, or is it used with HPS or other lights?

9. Naturalhi

It worked well when I had a grow room, due to circumstances beyond my control, the light is in storage for a while.

10. hfcomer

hfcomer Guest

Hi, I just want to make lights as low cost as possible, so I used led strips , which give me many different colors and very low at cost. I mainly use royal blue and cold white as grow light. You may have a look at the led aquarium grow light , where I bought my led stirips for home tanks. I bought the wateproof ultra bright version.

11. Naturalhi

HF, can't hardly wait to follow yer Grow Journal!>)

12. OddApple

OddApple Member

Got ours off ebay too and love it.