leather, strawberries, junior mints ?!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by riverrunsthru, Jan 4, 2005.

1. riverrunsthru

riverrunsthru Member

well, i am not a vegetarian yet and researching about vegetarianism, and i have some questions for all you veggies that have been looming in my mind for a while....

what are your opinions on wearing leather? and if you are against wearing leather products, if someone was to turn vegetarian and have leather things, what would you suggest that they do with them?

while i was reading a vegetarian "how-to" book, they said something about avoiding strawberries and some blueberries because they are "contaminated"...but they failed to explain any further. anyone know what they are talking about?

and last, my friend says that junior mints have bug ligaments in them...i'm not sure what to think about this...?

thanks for any help..i very much appreciate it. peace.

2. Kiz

Kiz Member

I don't wear leather but as to what to do with the stuff you have, just follow your heart. Some people like me just wear it till it give out, others give their leather to charity. Whatever works for you.

Never heard the thing about strawberries.

We do not have junior mints in this country, so I don't know. Maybe they are coloured with carmine, an all natural and even organic food colouring derived from crushed beetles.

3. Roses are Phree

Roses are Phree Member

I don't have anything leather anymore. It's so easy these days to get the fake-leather stuff or just use fabric.

Blueberries and strawberries contaminated... with pestacides maybe? I'm not sure. I was under the impression that they used pestacides on pretty much everything these days.

And I've never heard of there being bugs in junior mints, but I know Kiz is right about a certain food coloring made from beetles. I just thought that the dye was the color red, in which case, I don't know why it'd be in a thin mint.

4. Sage-Phoenix

Sage-Phoenix Imagine

what are your opinions on wearing leather? and if you are against wearing leather products, if someone was to turn vegetarian and have leather things, what would you suggest that they do with them?

I'm against purchasing leather products, when they exist well that's a bummer but the cows already died. Might as well honour it by giving it's death a purpose. Seems such a waste to dispose of perfectly good leather.
    I do have some leather things from pre veggies day, shall just wear them till they're worn out then replace with cruelty free items.

while i was reading a vegetarian "how-to" book, they said something about avoiding strawberries and some blueberries because they are "contaminated"...but they failed to explain any further. anyone know what they are talking about?

Contaminated with pesticides, strawberries are the most because they aren't peeled or washed well enough to get the chemicals off.
    It's best to buy all organic, but if that's not possible then only get non organic things that can be peeled.

and last, my friend says that junior mints have bug ligaments in them...i'm not sure what to think about this...?

We don't have those here, so I wouldn't know. They might have gelatine in, that's cow ligament rather than bug, but same diffrence.

5. squawkers7

squawkers7 radical rebel

Millions of cows, pigs, sheep, and goats are slaughtered for their skin every year. They are castrated, branded, and dehorned and have their tails docked without anesthetics. Then they are trucked to slaughter, bled to death, and skinned. Leather is not simply a slaughterhouse byproduct—it’s a booming industry. The meat industry relies on skin sales to stay in business because the skin represents the most economically important byproduct of the meat-packing industry, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Animal skin is turned into finished leather through the use of dangerous mineral salts, formaldehyde, coal-tar derivatives, cyanide-based oils and dyes, chrome, and other toxins.

People who have worked in and lived near tanneries are dying of cancer caused by exposure to toxic chemicals used to process and dye the leather. A New York State Department of Health study found that more than half of all testicular cancer victims work in tanneries.

When you buy leather products, you may be purchasing leather from Asian dog and cat tanneries; because product labeling rarely indicates where the skins originate, there’s no way to know for sure.

Visit CowsAreCool.com for more information on the leather industry

6. gertie

gertie Senior Member

when it comes to strawberries being contaminated i think that could pretty much be a possibility of any fruits or vegetables, depending on pesticides used. that isn't about merely straawberries, thats just being aware of all the things you put in your body.

7. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Oddly enough, I was against wearing or using leather before my vegetarian days:rolleyes: But if someone were to have leather goods and be wondering what to do with them upon going veg, I would suggest to do whatever you want with them. Throwing them away would do no good. Personally I would give them away to the needy as I feel that as a vegetarian and someone who is opposed to animal cruelty, I should be setting a good example for others. And I dont feel that sportin' leather would be doing that. But it is a personal choice, so each to their own.

8. peacegal

peacegal Member

Junior Mints contain gelatin, which is derived from the boiled-down bones and hooves of slaughtered animals.
    However, the good news is that there are many, many other candies and mints which do no have gelatin. Just look at the ingredients on the package.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

most chocolate has bug parts, the US has a limit on how many can be in your candy bar. yuuuuuuuuuum.

10. Roses are Phree

Roses are Phree Member

I believe you, but I can't say I've ever heard that before. That's seriously gross. *shudder*
    Where does it say this?

11. RainbowCat

RainbowCat Senior Member

i dont wear leather anymore, although i did when i first became vegetarian. i also knew this girl that was vegetarian, and wouldnt eat stuff that touhed meat, but then she wore some leather stuf. i still have my leather around. i dont know what to do with it. i dont want someone who wont see that it's murder wearng it. sometimes, i dont know that somethings leather and i accidently wear it. it's also hard to get away from things that were cooked in animal fat or animals related things. like broth. i wouldnt worry about the strawberries/blueberries. im sure there's much worse in meat products