Leather from charity shops...

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by John221, Jan 22, 2006.

1. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

Living in a small town in S.E. Michigan...any vegan options are practically non-existant. Like I said previously, I have to drive 30 minutes in order to get any vegan options...and fifteen minutes for any vegetarian options.

I think if the food was more accessable, people might be more open to trying a vegan or vegetarian diet...or if it was more common people would feel it was more accepting and not feel "different". I think that's what stops a lot of people from exploring a different way of life, just the stigma associated with it.

2. Panik

Panik Member

I just can't imagine it being very hard to find vegan food anywhere, let alone vegetarian. veggies,rice,beans? they sell these things evreywhere. I mean if you're looking for organic food, or maybe imitation meat and dairy, that might be a lot harder. But think about all the things in the store that are vegan? You just have to avoid the stuff that's ready made or "instant". I don't usually eat stuff you couldn't find at a regular grocery store. Rice, pasta, (most)bread...all kindsa beans and stuff for your protein....I have never been to a grocery store in any small town that did not sell soymilk ...canned and fresh fruits and vegetables. I just don't see how you could not find any vegan food closer than 30 minutes from you. Unless you live 30minutes from the nearest grocery store?

I mean when I am on the road and the only place to buy food is a truck stop in the middle of nowhere I can still find vegan options.

3. Fifty9

Fifty9 Member

She's probably speaking of vegan convenience food, though I have been in some grocery stores that do not make it easy on vegans. Markets that have the smallest produce section you have ever seen, and the vegetables are old and wilted.

4. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I only eat organic fruits and vegetables...

The nearest regular grocery is fifteen minutes from my house...the nearest market with organic fruits and veggies is 30 minutes away.

5. LaylaSkye_Loves_Geo

LaylaSkye_Loves_Geo Member

hey, dancer, where are you near? I'm in S.E. Michigan too, right next to the Ohio border.

I'm a Vegetarian. I'm always a vegetarian, not just when it's convienient for me. And Panik, you do more harm than any of us vegetarians by making veganism completely unappealing, thus in the long run you end up warding off potential Vegetarians or vegans.

I am vegetarian for the sake of animals (in part), and I do what is best for me- my body and my health. And Dancer is very right, it's hard to be even a vegetarian in the area we live in. I can't afford to go to the dentist or buy a pair of decent winter boots, how can I spend a small fortune on vegan foods? I only like three vegetables- broccoli, potatoes and carrots. So I'd be able to afford that and fruit and beans. Thats about it.

I think you'd do much better to stop being such a high and mighty, condescending prick and start accepting that people have different circumstances and limitations and have to do what is right for them. Being accepting and offering information rather than figuratively grabbing someone and shoving a steaming load of condescending guilt down their throats is a really great way to make everything about being veggie massly unappealing, and therefore hurting the cause far more.

~Layla

6. mrsshf

mrsshf Member

Wow, that kind of attitude makes the A/R movement look REAL appealing.

We should be positively reinforcing people who are making an effort, not telling people they are a complete joke because they aren't doing as much as you.

Don't let the message get lost in the minutia.

DancerAnnie, thank you for helping the animals. And thank you for educating yourself about the AR and environmental issues surrounding the horror that is the factory farming system. Good luck in your transition from vegetarian to Vegan.

7. Kiz

Kiz Member

I'm confused... that's not a long way, not compared to a lot of places. Why not invest in a chest freezer and buy in bulk? Dried products like rice, beans, lentils last for ages. Of course it's harder in some places than others, but with dedication it can be done.

The freezer thing would help with the meals on the run thing, too. You could just take your lunch/dinner whatever with you. Even second hand ones can seem pricey, but believe me, the investment definately pays off for both time and money. Instead of cooking enough for one meal, cook enough for five and freeze the rest. Kind of like your own tv dinners except they taste good, are healthy, are cheap, and you actually know what goes into them.

8. Kiz

Kiz Member

And really.. stuff like vegan mayonaise, icecreams, cheeses et al are pretty unneccessary, even though they can be nice when you can get them.