Laundry soap recipe?!

Discussion in 'Home Decor and Household Tips' started by Yell, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Yell

Yell Member

I am looking into getting a washboard and doing laundry by hand. Are they any laundry soap recipes that I can use?

2. smiling_mama

smiling_mama Member

try this:

1 cup liquid castile soap (like Dr. Bronners)
    1 cup washing soda (different than baking soda, but you can usually get it in the grocery store)
    1 cup baking soda
    1 cup vinegar

and to brighten laundry, you can make homemade Oxyclean

1 cup baking soda
    1 cup hydrogen peroxide
    2 cups HOT water

3. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I have made my own laundry soap and it would be perfect for hand-washing. (low suds ;)) I even used it to scrub my big area rug (took it outside, of course) when the cat peed on it. I had tried everything to get rid of the smell...this worked.

I bar laundry soap, grated (I used Sunlight)
    1 cup Borax (I used 20 mule team)
    2 cups washing soda (I used Arm & Hammer)

Put the grated soap bar in a large pot with 3-4 cups of water and simmer until melted. Pour into a large bucket. (at least 2 gallons) Add the Borax and washing soda and fill it up to 2 gallons with water and mix it well. Leave it over night, stirring it occasionally.

It does separate some. I used my old bleach bottles to store it in. It doesn't make too many suds, so with hand-washing you won't be up to your armpits in bubbles..:D

4. *josai*

*josai* Member

GREAT recipes!!!!