Laundry Day

Discussion in 'Hippie Wisdom' started by Duncan, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

The stereotype of the barefooted dirty hippie is an offensive one to me. I'm pretty meticulous about my clothing, personal hygiene, and surroundings. I share space with a cook who is more into convenience than anything environmentally sound. One of our biggest differences is drying clothing. I opt to hang my garments from a clothesline (or on a chain link fence) with clothespins (these are clothes pegs, if you happen to be British).
    I'm not quite so fussy about my laundry detergent, however. In recent years, I have traded quality of product for price. I'm rethinking my values and wonder if there are any folks out there who have a good quality, earth friendly detergent for clothing?
    BTW, I use a standard top-loading machine. I'm too old to wash by hand!

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There are laundry detergent recipes on line which use castille soap as a base.

3. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

Not to change the subject, but the highlighted statement made me think...I remember folks locally like that, and I'm wondering, did folks at least wash their sexual areas of the body?
    I'm thinking that "Free Love" might not have been so appealing if one doesn't stay tidy. Or am I overthinking things?
    I remember plenty of hippies not washing their hair for a long time. One whom I ended up working with later in life, I remember seeing him in a restaurant once, hair ponytailed and almost down to his ass. It was matted flat, like not washed for some time. I hope he washed his dick more often. Lmao

4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I use a front loader that uses less water and electricity. It is also more gentle with clothes.

Pete's Draggin' likes this.
  5. Lego Batman

Lego Batman Scissors paper rocks

we have a laundry room
    its not inside our apartment
    I am not a hippie

6. everything bagel

everything bagel Banned

I buy whichever detergent is on sale

7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'm resourceful and get tide pods so I can knock out laundry and dinner with one purchase.

soulpoker and everything bagel like this.
  8. I use soap nuts from India. Suitable for hand or machine wash. Check it out! Being who I am I do not feel the need to explain them. Do your homework and you will be well equipped to know how many to use etc. Available on all good internet devices! :grin: By the way cheap as fuck as well!

9. rasta g child

rasta g child flower power

10. Am I what?

Tyrsonswood likes this.