landlords

Discussion in 'Cannabis Legal and Security Issues' started by ezyrider50, Jan 20, 2006.

1. ezyrider50

ezyrider50 Member

does anyone know about landlords and renting apartments. Can a landlord just enter your apartment at any time. I assume no cause it would be considered breaking and entering but what about repairs and stuff obiously you wouldn't want him or her seeing your grow room. so if you rent and grow how risky is it?

2. NEMISIS

NEMISIS GONE

When I was at college a bunch of us rented a house.
    The landlord had a really rude and tough guy handyman who
    used to look after 4 student houses in the same street for him.
    This handyman kept showing up randomly wanting to check the
    house for general repairs but truth has it just pushing his weight
    around because we were all students. Anyway he showed up one
    day and I answered the door and told him to more or less sod off
    as the UK law states that the landlord has to give you 24 hour
    notice, ever since that handyman never came back.
    No idea what the law is for other countries.

3. meangreen

meangreen Senior Member

The landlord should give you notice,but simply changing the locks can save your ass,and if he finds out the locks were changed tell him you lost your house keys and were forced to replace the locks as you were concerned with the wrong type people possibly finding them and using to gain access to your place.This will simply deny his access long enough for you to prepare as he will be forced to contact you about why new locks were put on.

4. HerbalTea

HerbalTea Member

As an apartment renter I hafta deal with exactly this, but it might be slightly different where you live, ezyrider. Here in Maryland, the law requires a 24 hour notice before any routine maintenance or service can be carried out in your apartment, unless you call in for specific repairs. I don't think most of them are snoops, they just want to keep to their schedule and do their quota out of umpteen hundred apartments. Get in, do the job, get out. They won't look unless you leave something suspicious out, or they have some reason like the smell, which is my biggest hassle at flowering.
    Needless to say, it's in my lease--and I expect this is standard--that growing, making, or distributing drugs isn't allowed, and could really land me in hot water if I wasn't security minded and got caught. Other sections forbid any modifications to the apartment, so no drilling for vents, OR changing the locks (that's actually specifically in my lease). If you're in a rental house instead of an apartment, I imagine ya might have more leeway in those regards.

5. THEPRO

THEPRO Member

I last year gave,a friend who was rooming with a couple friends at an apartment some wet weed to take home and dry on his own..it was the most stinky shit ever i actually discontinued it because of just that.so he took it home and set it on the dresser to dry.his roomates in reaction to the smell opened the windows.this went on for 3 days untill the weed was gone. on the fourth day no shit the cops with permission from the landlord broke the ff'n door down needless to say the cops did not get shit.it seems every apt. around them complained which got the landlord involved which is all the judge needs to see to sighn that dreded paper we all hope we never see.......moral to my story be friends with your neighbors and use carbon filters also use meangreens advice on the locks and dont be to low key your in an appt.

6. Marclar

Marclar Guest

If you rent you are supposed to tell your landlors to have new keys issues vs changing the locks yourself...this can raise concerns. Generally all landlords issue a notice before they enter but they do enter and normally it has to do with basic maintenance, fire safety inspection. Personally I would never grow in a rented place..to risky. Only grow on your own property.

7. ninfan77

ninfan77 Member

They can enter if there's a maintanence problem. e.g. leaky roof or water pipe or something...

I know when i rented, changing the locks was NOT allowed in the lease. Im sure if i did it, and gave him a key later it'd have been ok. But just a FYI, if its a service that needs done immediately (which are very rare imo) he'll go right in.

Otherwise it should be 24 hour notice.

8. TheGanjaKing

TheGanjaKing Newbie

Yes, they can and do go in whenever they need to. If they go in just to snoop, then thats a problem and illegal. But for basic maintainence or in an emergency, they have every right to enter. My landlord has a key, and can come in at any time, but I'm not worried about anything because I keep my house in good condition, and if something were to break to the point I'd need him here it would be something very catastrophic. In which case he would just send a repair man anyways, and since I'm a contractor, I do all my own repairs so I'd be the person he'd be calling. Win win situation.

9. busker alley

busker alley Member

maintenance comes in all the time for this and that...smoke detector batteries, changing heater filters, ceiling leaks, etc...
    locksmith's always check with the office before doing any work
    best bet is odor control so everything appears natural...most are busted by snitches and odor

10. Tisha Mc

Tisha Mc Banned

I have a landlord that is just the type of dick that would walk in unanounced to check things out. I know it wouldn't be for repairs since we've told him about so many things that need to be done, he never does them. But he's the type of guy that blames all the worlds troubles on people not being good christians. He would definitely come and surprise us just to see that we're not sinning.

11. Violent_Ged

Violent_Ged Member

dude just smoke 'em all out & chill W/ 'em lol

12. medicalbud

medicalbud Member

Most landlords at real apt buliding let you know atleast few days when they going into all of them to do a fix or change or check something.
    and if its just your apt they most of the time they give 24 hrs+ notice still.

Now if its a house your rent part of it like 2 family house they pop by when home alot. Unless they rent to others the other part of house which is best for all living there.

I get cop calls on me and others in apt smell,landlord says as long as you have a medical card they ok with and its ok by law.

California is doing it best and they making star bucks like smoking medical pot clubs. You can test before you buy and hang. I use very little helps me take less pills and eat more. Im disable with massive pain to deal with . The clubs have tables and lounge chairs well lit, clean vaporizers to use and many other goodies to buy.Some Just are pick medical pot only no test first.I been to pot places around world and its not becoming a pot state that wants tax money 50$ for Oz legal to all not just medical.

Funny they can make you take tons of pain kills instead taking less with pot1000s of ago many uses pot many reason and uses and things to make.

13. mastercylinder

mastercylinder Banned

not supposed to just walk in---but they do--really fucked if u notice shit disturbed and know someones been in your house

14. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

In my experience It really depends on the kind of area you are living. Lower income areas are where they are going to be looking more for those kind of things.

Anytime I have heard of a grow in a apt it has been a NICE place, and the neightbors were all sort of 420 friendly. As long ss no one complains about a smell or anything, and you don’t case trouble and pay rent on time, you should be ok. But it would be best to have a nice house and basement for that sort of thing.

15. medicalbud

medicalbud Member

GF in early 90 took a closet and set up 12 time frames for nite - day and to sealed door with rubber around the door to keep smell in .it was one huge plant I ever saw for 8 weeks growing,
    I live in california I dont need to keep pot with in apt because so many clubs around just walk 2 blocks all there.

16. rastapasta

rastapasta Member

It is risky. Technically they cant just come in. But they try to all the time. I guess I just dodged bullets. Last landlady I had came in, my lights were set up but luckily i didnt have no seeds yet. suffice to say i couldnt grow until my lease was up. Last House i rented, and if ya wanna grow as a renter, house is the way to go, the landlords lived next door, and turned out were the parent of a kid i went to school with my whole life. They were always tryin to get in, check on this, fix that, but i had half the basement full of crops, so it got tricky keepin them out.

17. medicalbud

medicalbud Member

I rented houses out and stopped because they the landlord think they own it thus going to do what ever.I live in a apt building of 18 and rent laws are very strong the board would come down on them so fast .Pot so ready available here no need to grow .

18. ChronicTom

ChronicTom Banned

Not knowing where you are, makes it hard to answer that question.

Here, a landlord must give 24 hours written notice before entering an apartment.

If for any reason, one walks into an apartment without providing that notice, they are indeed guilty of trespassing. They are not guilty of break and enter however.

Here, the laws are set up to side with the tenant in almost every way. Residential rentals are the worst thing to get into concerning real estate for that very reason.

To check for yourself for your area, google "landlord & tenants (with your state or province), "tenancy act" and/or "tenants rights" to see what you can find.

19. FarmerJ

FarmerJ Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

In Mass. the law says the landlord has to give 24hrs notice to enter, but some landlords are dicks, and that won't save you from a grow charge if they catch you. It is best to know your landlords style before you set up a grow. Growing in a rental is cool if you have a hands off type landlord and you're careful about security. I grow in a rented space even though I own a condo, because if god forbid I get popped I don't want my home to be seized.

20. metalgypsy

metalgypsy Member

I think most places in the US give 24 hours notice, but they don't need your permission when that 24 hour period ends.