Lana del Rey

Discussion in 'Music' started by Mandykepp, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

Does anyone else think that Lana Del Rey’s album Ultraviolence is maybe not quite, but kinda like Radiohead’s OK Computer? I know some people hate her for some reason, but both albums are capable of transporting me somewhere. I start listening to a song and I just can’t turn it off..
    Any other albums that have that affect??

2. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I was listening to Soccer Mommy on iHeart (it uses an algorhythm like Pandora or I don't know what else) and it played summertime sadness for me. I thought of @Pressed_Rat. He has a Lana Del Rey thread as well.

I don't think she really sounds like Radiohead, but I'm not certain that's what you mean. Also, I don't think I've heard Ultraviolence - but I may have. I bought one of her CDs when it was new in stores two or fewer years ago, but I don't remember the title of the record. I think it had a song on it about Coachella though.

EDIT: Here it is! :)

[​IMG]

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

this is that other band I was telling you about. I first heard them on satellite radio, fell in love with the sound, and now I totally want to hear it on the radio. it's not in rotation though... :(

4. Mandykepp

Mandykepp Banned

Thanks! I’ll check them out. No I didn’t mean they sound alike, just that both albums were more than a handful of songs put together. That they worked so well together that if i listen to the album from start to end it had a way of transporting me, or kind of hijacking my emotions and taking me where it was going. OK Computer does this the best, for me.

soulcompromise likes this.
  5. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Massive Attack's album Mezzanine has that transport me to another place quality. It doesn't have quite the same "universality" I"ll call it as Ok Computer, like it doesn't make (m)any poignant statements on society or anything but the songs weave their way into my mind in a very seductive and entrancing way. The album is entrenched firmly in the realm of trip hop, so while Radiohead and Lana make nods to the genre, there is a more unyielding quality to Mezzanine, which might initially be a bit less accessible.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020