Ladybugs and Pathogens

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by element7, Jan 31, 2005.

1. element7

element7 Random fool

Does anyone know if ladybugs have a history of carrying any kind of pathogen?

2. PhotoGra1

PhotoGra1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have never heard of one. I'm sure they can potentially carry something, but I wouldn't be concerned...

3. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

im interested in finding out what the context of this question is. is there a story you'd like to tell us about a ladybug? :D

4. element7

element7 Random fool

Thanks, I can't seem to find anything negative either, good thing.
    The story: There's a huge Hackberry tree in my front yard. This past fall it got infested with Aphids. Aphids leave a huge sticky mess that drips from the tree all over everything, i't like walking in karo syrup. Ladybugs eat Aphids, so naturally they showed up in force. The Aphids and the big sticky mess are gone but now we have a large ladybug presence. :) ... they don't really bother anything though.

5. Kastenfrosch

Kastenfrosch Blaubeerkuchen!! Lifetime Supporter

actually lady bugs are one of the insects that can be used as natural pesticides/insecticides. They eat the lice off of plants that are infected. So there has even been a movement to breed them in masses and use them in the fields. so.... they wouldn't do that if it had consequences like the chemicals, right? also ladybugs are cute :)

6. Elle

Elle Senior Member

Every year we get an infestation of lady bugs. They got into my home this year. I was freaked out for a little while (so many) but now we co-habitate well together:p They stay up high on the ceiling near the lights anyway, and they live a long time but everyday a whole other bunch dies and so every morning my floor looks like the ladybug holocaust.