Knife bin ransacked by street gang

Discussion in 'People' started by 6-eyed shaman, Apr 3, 2019.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The UK government sought to end knife crime by installing knife depository bins in public places.

Great idea :rolleyes:. Now a street gang has ransacked and busted open one of the knife bins and took all the deposited knives!

Hunt for gang who ransacked knife amnesty bin | Metro News

Just imagine if it were a gun depository bin!

You just gotta love how law makers NEVER consider law breakers when writing new laws. :D

I know what the leftists are gonna say: "Time to ban crowbars and hammers"

2. I'm surprised they had to ransack a knife bin. Maybe that's what they weren't counting on, the sheer effort. When you can get a knife pretty much anywhere by much simpler means.

3. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Crowbars and hammers already are "banned" under UK law same as knives in a way as far as I know.

You can own and buy these items. But police will question you if you have them on your person without good reason. Like with knives if you say " I am a chef" it's a good reason to have a butcher knife. Just having a butcher knife is shady.

I think it's great to live someplace where only serious criminals have guns. And chances are they don't want to attract police attention by wasting bullets on anything but other serious criminals and their business dealings.

4. GuerrillaLorax

GuerrillaLorax along the peripheries of civilization

A large percentage of leftists aren't anti-gun.

Hilarious story by the way.

snowtiggernd likes this.
  5. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

We covered the reasons for the rise in knife crime in the UK in another thread

Anyone that has looked into this issue, who isn’t a neoliberal, has come to the conclusion that this is in large part due to the neoliberalist policies that have been enacted in the UK over the last 30 years.

Cuts in Social Services has resulted in problems within families been not spotted early.

Working and welfare policies have put people under greater pressure.

Competition based education systems have resulted with problem students been more likely to be excluded (as they bring down the schools stats) than been helped and squeezed education budgets mean schools often don’t have the resources anyway even if they wanted to help.

Cuts in Social Services has resulted in them not having the resources to help children that have been excluded.

Cuts in grants to community based projects mean many that would have helped have been forced to close.

stormountainman and MeAgain like this.
  6. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

This doesn’t seem to have been a ‘street gang’ more some teenagers involved in a bit of vandalism that didn’t have much to do with the knives which were all “recovered a short distance away, and the whole incident was caught on CCTV”

Thing is that since the Bin a Blade campaign was launched in Suffolk in 2011, 23,856 bladed items have been deposited and destroyed, at the time of the incident some 1,700 knives had already been handed in.

Okiefreak likes this.
  7. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

lorax

And a large number of right wing voters are supporters of more gun control, it depends on what you define as ‘large’ and what you mean by ‘anti-gun’?

I mean polls seem to indicate that as a whole around 70 percent of Americans supporter greater gun control including over 50% of those saying they are Republican voters.

Reuters/Ipsos poll - 69 percent of Americans, including 85 percent of Democrats and 57 percent of Republicans, want strong or moderate restrictions placed on firearms.

Politico/ Morning Consult poll - support for stricter gun laws among registered voters at 68 percent… 53 percent of Republicans indicated they supported stricter gun laws.

The Associated Press/NORC Center for Public Affairs Research - 69 percent of Americans support stricter gun control measures

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Fine I have a gun so let them bring a knife to a gun fight

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Why would they? That's not what a knife is for.
    Besides, you noticed its in the UK? Not your country

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I was just being facetious [​IMG]

I get that way sometimes at 5:45 am

Irminsul likes this.
  11. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I get like that when I'm tired too. It's like. Alright. I've had enough of the internet's shit. :p time to make a funny.

12. Asmodean

I just woke up freshly at 10 am so I'm razorsharp! :D

13. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

Bike gangs seem to be a bigger issue in England anyway.

And that crime feeds right into the pro gun argument. The NRA will say "can we ban cars?"
    No, we can not ban vehicles and in England we see the "bad guys" using them.

I suppose the bike gang uses a knife but they also seem to use hammers and other tools which also can not be banned. Freedom means people can misuse it. If they could use a gun they would. A knife is the weapon you use since it's hard to get a gun. Unless you TOR and find an American vendor.

14. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

One of the main reasons that gun laws work quite well in the UK is that criminals are mostly known by police and regularly stopped and searched.
    Few of them are stupid enough to risk up to 14 years behind bars for illegal firearm possession before they had even had a chance to commit the crime.

Why heavy mandatory sentences are not introduced for knives and other weapons baffles me.

Mustard Tiger likes this.
  15. Asmodean

Most european bike gangs involved in crime have members with guns.

16. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

The government came up with a fundamentally good idea.

Then total idiots employed by local authorities started installing bins in public places, with no security arrangements or regular collections twice or more times a day.
    I doubt that they even bothered to consult local police about their idiotic plans.

17. 6-eyed shaman

I said that in the Brexit thread. May stabbed all her countrymen in the back. My statement you quoted was another metaphor.

You can debate the cause of the high knife crime all you want. But I'm pointing out the idiotic fallacies of prohibitory laws, in that law makers believe banning items will stop people from using them.

18. 6-eyed shaman

Yeah that's true. There are still some people who have a bit of common sense in certain areas (even if they lack common sense in most areas).

19. 6-eyed shaman

How is putting a bin full of contraband in a public place a good idea?

People try to break into ATMs on a regular basis around the world. Why would having an unguarded bin of contraband be any different?

The UK is the first country to become a meme.

20. I saw something odd today. An old Brinks truck, with the logo still visible from where the decal was removed, was pulling out of a bank. This thing was covered with rust and looked more like a barn find than an active armored car. But down the road it went.

I wonder what's up with that?