Killer Wants State To Pay For Sex Change

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Dirk_Pitt, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Dirk_Pitt

Dirk_Pitt Banned

source

You have to be kidding. They are actually considering this and they are already paying for his female hormone treatments and laser hair removal.

2. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

that's ridiculous

food, health care, exercise, safe roof over their head... s'all they should get. A sex change financed by the gov't? Puhlease

3. Rebel_1

Rebel_1 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Yeah, this is totally rediculas, why should the tax payers have to pay for something like that.

4. hippychickmommy

hippychickmommy Sugar and Spice

That's an outrage. If he wants it done, he needs to find a way to get the money himself to do it, not rely on our tax dollars to foot the bill. Ridiculous.

5. hippychickmommy

Oh absolutely. I agree 100%.

6. fitzy21

fitzy21 Worst RT Mod EVAH!!!!

hmm wierd, i just posted the story in another thread...wierd....

but yea, fucking stupid, considering it might be my tax dollars paying for this shit...

7. Samhain

Samhain Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

how does this work in the states?
    in the uk a transexaul has to go under treatment before they have the op, then if its granted, they have it done under the NHS, so basically the tax payer is paying for it.

if the state usually, pays for sex change ops, and it is deemed that this persons mental health will suffer, I don't see any reason why this person can't have it done.
    mental health is just as important as physical health, would the state pay for heart surgery, would you have a problem with this because this person has killed someone.
    the arguement here is wether transexuals should have the op under the state, if you feel that is fine, then it should be fine for prisoners who have undergone the correct mental health treatment.
    transexuals have rights, and they can't be taken away from them just because they're crimminals.
    maybe the people who have a problem with this perhaps have a problem with people having sex changes altogether as overwise whats the problem.
    S

8. DancerAnnie

DancerAnnie Resident Beach Bum

I wish I could sue to get some of my abused tax money back :$

9. Raving Sultan

Raving Sultan Banned

I'll be glad to donate $500 so some pervert jailbird can get his nuts sawed off if I can stop paying taxes for a year. I front the cash and in the long run save on non deductable tax!

10. Samhain

this arguement is then more about transexuals and what you feel their rights are over all.
    if you ever become impotant, would you feel that a health care option would be elective or your right to be a healthy male?
    if you feel that it would be elective, then fair enough, if not, then I think your being prejudice towards transexuals and valueing there rights as human beings
    S

11. hippychickmommy

When you're a convicted killer, you should not be allowed to have an elective surgery such as gender reassignment unless you yourself are paying for the procedure. It should not even remotely be expected of the working class to cover the cost! I understand the whole respecting a transexual, but this has nothing whatsoever to do with that (at least, for me, I can't speak for everyone else). It has everything to do with a convicted killer, someone who murdered another human being, who is not in the right frame of mind to begin with. Besides, should we really be rewarding prisoners with so many opportunties?

12. Samhain

do you feel that just because someone has done something wrong and they end up in prision, that they should forfeit all their rights as human beings, because most people give their pets more than those 4 factors.
    if society wants to rehibliatate prisonners, then we should be compaining for prisonners rights. do you have any idea of how many women go to prison for nonviolent crimes and have their kids put into care?
    if as a society we just want to punish people, then by all means just give them the basic requirments for living, however when they are releashed I don't think we should be complaining when they commit the same or worse crimminal acts
    S

13. Samhain

its about how you see transexuals, if a person has gone down the road of having the appropaite mental health assessments, and are then told that they can have the op, it then becomes a matter of looking after their mental health.
    no are you saying that when someones a convicted killer, that they are all evil and can never be in a posistion of being truely sorry and rehilblated, because your view of convicted killers is very black and right.
    are you saying that this person when they commited the crime is no longer a human being, because unless your saying that, I think she has the same rights as everyone else does.
    if they are going to rehold this right, I think they should be very clear that is it classed as part of this persons punishment.
    and not try and hide behind any other arguements
    S

14. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

I don't think that prison should be an all-expenses paid holiday... it's intended as a punishment and isnt' always taken as such.

My big problem with this is that it's an elective surgery. Yes, he should have the right to get it done, but to have someone else pay for it? It's elective! Very few health plans fully cover elective surgery

15. Samhain

it sounds like your giving physical health a higher prioity than mental health.
    if it effects this persons mental health and i would argue that it would, because i am very involued in the transexual movement, then i think the state should pay for it.
    i hope you never have had and never will have erection problems:eek:
    but if you ever do and you can't afford it, I think the state should pay for that too.

in the uk we have the national health service it means that people can be treated in hospital without having to worry about the bills and prisonners have as much a right to that as everyone else
    S

16. Samhain

i don't think it should be elective, and ihmurria if you feel that prisoners have rights as human beings, please have another think about what you think their basic rights should be
    S

17. ihmurria

ihmurria fini

I do.
    Just like liposuction is elective for tubby folks
    and ditto for that surgery that reduces the stomach's size to that of a baseball.
    Face lifts are elective for people with BDD and people who have aged
    Breast augmentation is elective even for playboy models.

It's an expensive and potentially dangerous surgery. Let him get a loan for it and work it off when s/he gets out of prison, or work it off in prison. I just consider surgery for reasons other than saving a life/limb/restoring physical health to be elective.

18. Samhain

i'm thinking that you've never had any transexuals friends that have looked you in the face and told you that they would rather die than continue their life in their body.
    i can live with my big belly, would i get liposuction if i could afford it possibly.
    if you woke up tomorrow and found that you couldn't function as a woman, or god forbid had a breast removed because of cancer, i don't think the health treatment should be elective.
    thank god we have the nhs
    S

19. Samhain

I think this point needs to be made, because there seems to be very little to no understanding of transexuals on this thread.
    transexuals who choose to have a sex change op, or I should really being saying gender reassignment surgery, do so because they feel they are not a true or whole person without it, there are very few people that are tottally happy with their appearence and wouldn't think about changing aspects of themselves if they could, I hate my belly, but my belly doesn't make me feel less of a whole person.

now talking about the surgery, please don't think that when a person has that surgery, they will be walking out a beaming happy person in the sex of their choice.
    people who undergo an operation such of this undergo major physical, emotional, and mental stress, before, during and after and the physical complications and infections are very common.
    no before you all reply and say then why do they bother, they bother going through this trial by fire because they can not live any other way.
    if this person has been taking the hormone treaments and been living as a woman then she has proven that she is serious about it.

gender reisgnment being elective is prejudice, if you agree that it should be elective then you clearly do not understand the implications of what being a transexual is.
    and if you agree that you don't understand it, you can't say that your not prejudice because you are not aware that your denying them their human rights
    S

20. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I think what people are saying Samhain, is that in the USA, nothing is paid for...most medical care is privatized(sp?) and you either pay up front or buy insurance to go to a doctor.

BUT, in prison, medical care is paid for by taxpayers, same as food and shelter. They don't want their taxes to go up so that convicts can get sex changes...if that happened, people would be comitting petty crimes so that they could have free cosmetic surgery...