Kids these days (smh)

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by Eric!, Jul 29, 2018.

?

Would you allow your kids to change thier last names?

1. Yes, im ok with that.

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Hell no, are they crazy?

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. Doesn't matter to me either way

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. Eric!

Eric! Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My next door neighbor shared something interesting with me this weekend. His oldest daughter (of five girls) told him that she doesn't want his last name, and that she wants her mother's maiden name to be her last name instead. This is out of retaliation of him being too strict. He's never spanked his daughters for bad behavior or anything like that, just stays on them about typical stuff that parents nag thier kids about all the time. What's even more intriguing to me is he supports his daughter's wishes. Fuckin unbelievable!

I'm not on board with a 15 year old making grown up decisions or telling adults (parents) how things are going to be. If she wants to change her last name, that's something she can do if she wishes, after she leaves home.

What do you think of that?

2. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

I think she should've had a belt taken to her as a youngin'.

Eric! likes this.
  3. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Sounds like she is just acting out, I wouldn't let her do it. I'd feel differently about it if she wanted to carry on her mother's name, however.

Eric! likes this.
  4. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

I wonder what her side of the story is. Sounds a bit drastic and dramatic, though.

5. Eric!

Well, she is that (drastic and dramatic) for sure. At 15 years old, just like my daughter, I'm sure her side of the story is twisted and what you'd expect from a 15 year old who thinks they know more than their parents sometimes.

EloiseAtThePlaza likes this.
  6. Deidre

Deidre Follow thy heart

You're right. I fought a lot with my dad growing up. Damn, I wish I had used this strategy. He might have backed down! :D

I hope that things get resolved. If you know your neighbor to be a good guy, that's sad that he's hurting him like that.

Eric! likes this.
  7. Eric!

Yeah, that's how I was raised. I couldn't imagine telling my dad some crazy shit like that. He would have told me to find somewhere else to live as he was kicking me in the ass on the way out the door.

McFuddy and Running Horse like this.
  8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Would never occur to me to have my name changed. Either my first or middles or surname. Even when I got married I had no intention of taking my partners, mind you she wanted my name anyway so that was easy but you know me, these things are very important to me. :) so if I had a kid at home with me, and they wanted a new name.. They can find a new place to live too and stop calling me mum. :p

Kidding. But probably not really.

BeatinFeet69 and Eric! like this.
  9. Eric!

He's a good dude! He absolutely loves his daughter's and they are the love of his life! The thought of this, does crush him though. I never asked him what his wife thinks though, but I've got a pretty good idea already.

10. Eric!

Yeah, I think the same damn thing Irmi. I honestly would tell her she doesn't have a decision and to shut the hell up with all that. That's just me.

11. Who cares, she's just a kid. If you can't handle your teenager coming up with crazy ideas you've got no business raising one. Let her take her mom's last name. It's just cute.

12. Eric!

You think your dad would have really backed down, or would it have made it worse? Tell him about this and see what he says.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  13. Eric!

Do you have kids?

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i'm not sure what this has to do with kids these days? she sounds like 15 year olds for the last thousand years at least.

now parents these days, that's something else. who the fuck would support that? if she wants to change her name, she can wait until she's 18 and supporting herself.

YouFreeMe, McFuddy and Eric! like this.
  15. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'd have to ask her which name she wants on her tombstone...

Of course, this is why I never had kids.

GLENGLEN, BeatinFeet69 and Eric! like this.
  16. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I can't make any judgement solely based on one side of the story. It's still possible that this teen has a perfectly valid reason as to why she has the kind of wish she has. Plus, one of my pet peeves has always been the attitude that expresses the likes of "kids today are......" in a disapproving fashion. Adults have always said this about youth, so it's not just about today's young generation. I think that most adults tend to forget what it's like to be a kid once they are all grown-up. I remember being a teen and making a serious life decisions that made me who I am today, so it's not like other kids can't do that if they are really serious about something they strongly believe in. If all sides of the story check out, then I for one commend this father for respecting his daughter's wish.

rollingalong, beachbum86 and Eric! like this.
  17. Running Horse

To be completely honest I still struggle to this day which name I should take as my last. See I'm adopted so I dunno if I should represent my birth or adopted family. Or if I should just take my own last name & carry that into the future

Eric! likes this.
  18. Eric!

You know your actual birth family?

19. Running Horse

Not personally no

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Seems weird

Maybe he's just acting relaxed about it to call her bluff because he knows if he gives her pushback it will just make her rebel harder

I dont know that I could even take my child seriously with something like that. I would just laugh and go about my business. Since she's underage her parents have to sign off on this dont they?

Eric! likes this.
Tags: