Kids don't play football anymore

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by unfocusedanakin, Jul 25, 2019.

1. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I hear some smaller towns can not even find a full team. I played football and because of that I got the shit knocked out of me and had a man yelling at me everyday. They are not supposed to grab the face mask I guess now? My coach sure did. He also told me to hit "hard" which is now from what I see in the NFL a penalty if you hit like I did. I never wanted to hurt anyone but I was coached to do that.

I played hockey pretty seriously for a while and those coaches while hard where NEVER like the damn football coaches as far as the yelling and the constant hate on everything you do. And this was like serious hockey not everyone gets a trophy. Yet with them at some point I could practice right and that really stuck with me. I hated my football coaches, I respected my hockey coach.

I was scouted to play football since I'm so tall and I quit after one year even though I was varsity. I'm better at hockey and that coach wants me to not risk injury. I was told I needed to stay since my chances at a college scholarship were better with football vs hockey. My mom told me not to play football too. She was never as nervous when I went to hockey practice.

Kids dont need to risk brain damage like I did. Hockey hits hard but not like football. I'm kind of happy to see young men playing more soccer. Looking back almost all my good sports memories are hockey and the risk was so much less to my health. If I had a son I would strongly steer him away from football and a lot of NFL players say the same thing now. No one wants brain injury for their son.

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

'Soccer' is actually the real football. So etymologicalwise (sp?) this is also a good development

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  3. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

I think that a lot of it stems from the fact that these days kids do not play in the streets after school and spend time kicking a ball around. Thus developing the skills that led to them moving on to join a team.

Parents may think that children a safer away from the streets and sitting on the computer in their bedroom, but obesity, leading to diabetes and heart disease does them a lot more harm than a few minor cuts and bruises.

GLENGLEN likes this.
  4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

^nah, it stems from the fact that there is a lot of evidence now that tackle football can cause brain damage

hotwater, StellarCoon and GLENGLEN like this.
  5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Same with hitting the ball with your head in 'soccer' (the real football :D), albeit likely to lesser extent. Still, its an important part in soccer and doing it for years can cause damage.

Anyway, the OP clearly stated he ment the shift from kids in american football to soccer.
    It's very notable in my country too with girls. They used to play more field hockey (still popular among girls), but now soccer is gaining popularity. Of course among boys it was already sport nr. 1 here for decades

Yes, plenty of kids also stay inside but that's more instead of playing on the streets. Many kids leave the house to play at a sports club they joined.

6. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

We had a great football program in highschool. That said, I would NEVER allow my child to play that sport. Soo many injuries. Severed tendons, concussions, temporary amnesia, dislocations, etc.

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I saw two kids riding bicycles in their driveway a couple days ago...haven't seen that in years.

8. Personally I'm glad there's no kids outside. Kids are bullies.

9. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Brain damage just has a bad reputation, which is why the Pentagon and NFL hid all the medical evidence for decades and suppressed research. Whether people are brain damaged or not, all you have to do to make them happy is throw large sums of cash off the tops of tall buildings. Instant happy brain damaged American idiots, can be found all over the mass media if you just throw a little cash around. Today's kids are eagerly awaiting the next ray traced version Madden Football, which they can now control with their eye-movements if they are paralyzed.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Brain damage doesn't scare off the willing participants, but does the new young millennial mothers.

11. StellarCoon

those silly millennial moms

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Be the same mom's that don't allow a cheese cracker snack because of the plastic film.

13. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

sorry your football coach sucked. mine was probably the best role model/mentor i ever had.

it's unfortunate that parents are forcing their kids to play soccer instead to prevent concussions, even though soccer is shown to have almost as many concussions as football. i enjoy soccer and if people want to play it, that's great news, but it's annoying when they do it under a false premise.

Irminsul likes this.
  14. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I think girl's soccer has comparable concussion rates to Football but I believe boy's Soccer has significantly lower concussion rates than Football.

15. wooleeheron

wooleeheron Brain Damaged Lifetime Supporter

Brain damage scares them off, because the news has gotten out that as few as two minor concussions in a row can cause chronic depression. Your brain doesn't like getting punched around, and can make you regret your choices.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yep, you tell me 7 year old kids watch the news bro. :tearsofjoy:

17. StellarCoon

upload_2019-7-26_18-58-45.png

do you play football?

Tyrsonswood and Irminsul like this.
  18. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I suppose one of the privileges of a women is getting to have a strong opinion what men should do to be me without any of those same expectations placed on you.

Even in the most feminist society you as a women don't have to do what man does as far as warfare or sports. So you are welcome to your opinion but in a way it's like me having strong opinions of the vagina.

American's football's culture for young men is not experienced by German women.

19. I got hit hard after catching a pass once, and that was enough for me. I can't believe that's even allowed. No sooner had I caught the ball when I was hit right in the stomach. Everyone always had it out for me, though. They were/are idiots. Probably brain damaged.

unfocusedanakin likes this.
  20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

And on the opposite hand it could easily be said that many American males who play American football also, don't get the injuries that you did. So I don't really see your point? And also we have women's Gridiron in Germany and Gridiron has been played in Germany for a while in the Euro NFL in the past. So lol.