khat synthesis w/ dichromate?

Discussion in 'Drug Chemistry' started by khatman, Dec 29, 2004.

1. khatman

khatman Member

ok so ive synthesized khat quite a few times using KMnO4 and gotten it down to where i know almost the perfect amount of it to use but recently a lack of permanganate has caused me to consider using K2Cr2O7 instead. according to the document which provided me with my permanganate synthesis potassium dichromate doesn't work. but i think the douchebag just didn't use sulfuric acid. anybody know whether dichromate works and if so what are the ratios of dichromate : psuedo-ephedrine to use for best results?

2. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

You do know that hexavalent chromium is a potent carcinogen, right? Not something to be screwing around with when there are safer oxidizers that work just as well or better.

BTW, "khat" is a PLANT. The drug made by oxidizing ephedrine is called "Cat", or more properly, methcathinone.

3. khatman

khatman Member

ok so that settles that. probably should have checked on the health rating on that first. yeah i know that khat is a plant but it is also a slang term for the drug(at least here in KS). sorry i put this in the wrong spot won't happen again. thanks for the info.

by the way, do you know of any oxidizers besides KMnO4 i could use? i can buy most things but permanganate is on the DEA's list of watched chems now i believe. i was stealing it from school but i got caught and have been effectively banned from lab(actually i got caught stealing hydrobromic acid but either way it doesn't matter, i'm banned).

4. EllisDTripp

EllisDTripp Green Secessionist

I have read some reports of hypochlorites being used with success.

5. khatman

khatman Member