Kent State happened 50 years ago today.

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by newo, May 4, 2020.

1. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i know a majority of military are republicans, but i don't know that we know for sure the political leanings of the idiots who fired the shots.

i'm sure "kill college students" was never part of their orders.

they should not have been there in the first place, and they should have been trained better. but it's a big leap from that to "republicans were sent in to murder people."

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

That's pretty much how I feel when I read American posts like you post. I think what tragic set of circumstances, a nation defined by media lies and an unrealistic expectation that their government controls your life for you and you have the audacity to call my perceptions tragic.

Laughable.

All the way to the bank. And then back home and then to the bank again.

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Okay Irminsul and Dax, reply to this: nothing those college students did justified the national guard firing into an unarmed crowd.

stormountainman likes this.
  4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

Orison likes this.
  6. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

I don't understand how you can be "sure … was never part of their orders?
    During that time period Spiro Agnew was bitching a lot about the Hippies, and the Liberal Media … all the Media's fault. Then there was the Watergate breaking and the Daniel Ellsberg break-in. Spiro Agnew ended up in prison and Nixon resigned. What today's Republican controlled media does not want to talk about is Nixon's plan to bomb the Democrat Party. Check it out. Also to stay on track, I remember phone conversations between Nixon and the governor of Ohio. They should still be available.

7. stormountainman

Now you sound like Ammon Bundy's supporter from Idaho.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I just made a personal observation about the photo, I didn't even know there was a state called Kent.

9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Kent is a city in Ohio. There is a state univercity there.

10. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Question everything :sunglasses:

Running Horse likes this.
  11. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i suppose i can't be sure, but it seems extremely unlikely. not that they had the best ideas at the time, but that sure seems like a counterproductive thing for them to have asked their soldiers to do.

i haven't heard these recorded conversations, but if asking the national guard to murder unarmed civilians was part of them, i would expect them to be a lot more famous.

12. stormountainman

There are several tapes on the internet -- Google. The audio tapes and video tapes are of Nixon talking in public. There is one audio tape where he is talking with Haldemann. There are tapes of Nixon talking about Kent state. Just Google Nixon & Kent State. I am going over the Haldemann tape tonight. So far I'm not sure who Nixon was talking about "killing a few of them" but I'll get back with you on that. Tomorrow I'll go over the Governor Jim Rhodes tapes.

13. deleted

deleted Visitor

14. Mountain Valley Wolf

Mountain Valley Wolf Senior Member

This was our 9-11. This and the John F. Kennedy assassination some 7 years earlier or so.

15. Mountain Valley Wolf

He also waged war on the youth of America---I forget but it seemed to me that this was a passing comment on National TV

16. Mountain Valley Wolf

In the years before Kent State I used to draw peace signs in my school notebooks because it was 'cool.' There was the war going on across the other side of the ocean and I gave lip service about it to my friends, but the idea of our government attacking our own citizens, let alone our own youth was unthinkable. Seeing Kent State on the evening news and then in Life Magazine popped my cherry in terms of American politics. Drawing peace signs was no longer just a cool thing, it was a call to arms----well, not exactly arms because it was about peace----but you know---Revolution!

Could Kent State happen again today? In a different context, yes-----and that is one thing that is very scary about Trump and his cult of followers. Look at the armed protestors that stormed the capital in Michigan. They are not the National Guard, in fact, they are nothing more than domestic terrorists. But that act of armed intimidation did not result in arrests, or any criminal charges. They had the approval of our own president. They may be terrorists, but because of how the President condones it, they have an unwritten implied sanction of the State. As things go bad for Trump these State sanctioned terrorists may very well take up arms and commit violence. We have seen this happen many times in history, especially when and where Nationalism is involved.

17. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

John Lennon, Just wanted to sing Give Peace a Chance. FBI sent time investigating him.

18. Dax

Dax Members

I agree with you 100% dude. Still no reason to bear such a grudge. Wanting to continually remember bad stuff will only make you miserable.

19. Mountain Valley Wolf

Knowledge of what happened will prevent it from happening again. This is what happens when the divisive and hateful rhetoric of a president results in real situations of pain and death for the citizens. It has been 50 years and the nation has already largely forgotten, and Trump's hateful and divisive rhetoric has already resulted in pain and death for the American citizens.

Why do people still dredge up World War II and point out dangerous parallels to the current times in the US? Because, as someone else has pointed out, those who are ignorant of the past are doomed to repeat it.

20. Dax

Dax Members

Well man I don't think what happened at Kent can by any stretch of the imagination be compared to World War Two ...