Kent State happened 50 years ago today.

Discussion in 'Remember When?' started by newo, May 4, 2020.

1. stormountainman

stormountainman Soy Un Truckero

NO, we are not going to forget Kent State.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

nah. i went to kent state, and i don't see anyone there gathering to protest anything other than a spike in beer prices these days.

3. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It may not happen again at Kent State but could happen elsewhere. If it could happen under Nixon it could certainly happen under Trump.

WOLF ANGEL, phil1965 and scratcho like this.
  4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Everyone in the picture except the lady on her knees is like "what's going on here?" and the lady at the top left is like "nothing to see here, I gotta get to class" and that dude is like "huh?"

6. newo

SERIOUSLY?! How high are you? Everyone in the photo is in a state of shock over what just happened. And soon the country would be in shock.

stormountainman likes this.
  7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Dude, were talking about Irm here, why would you have expected anything other than the response she gave?

8. phil1965

phil1965 Senior Member

If we forget the past then we will no doubt repeat the same mistakes, and that cannot be allowed to happen, learning from ones past is the only way to move forward.

9. stormountainman

I know four people from Fort Wayne Indiana, Bryan Ohio, Alliance OH, and Akron Ohio who went to school in Kent State and were there on that day. I will never forget Kent State, when the Republicans killed unarmed college students who were protesting against the illegal Viet Nam War. We knew it was illegal and based on a fabricated reason. That fact was confirmed by our Defense Secretary at the time. We will never forget that the President and his buddy the Governor of Ohio had the National Guard go in a kill college students.

snowtiggernd, scratcho and phil1965 like this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Doesn't look like it to me.

11. stormountainman

That's because you are not American.

12. Dax

Dax Members

Nobody expects the family or friends of those killed and injured to forget what happened. There's a big difference between forgetting and re-hashing a subject that was done to death yonks ago.

13. stormountainman

People who live in Hippy communes don't want to forget about it.

granite45 likes this.
  14. Dax

Dax Members

So I guess "people who live in Hippy communities" have contributed thousands or maybe millions of dollars to the victims families?

15. newo

Observing a 50th anniversary is not re-hashing. How can you even think it is?

As for can it happen again, think of this. The Republican National Convention is scheduled for August 24-27. Assuming the lockdown is over by then and they hold the convention, it will be swarmed by anti-Trump protesters. Since the event is being held in Charlotte, North Carolina, Trump country, there will also be a strong presence of counter-protesters supporting our fearless leader in his attempts to make America great again. It could lead to riots, which could lead to gunfire. Yes, Kent State or something similar can happen again.

stormountainman and scratcho like this.
  16. Dax

Dax Members

Yeah right ... Keep smoking weed dude and you'll come up with a better argument.

17. stormountainman

I think he's a Republican operative and only on here to disrupt us. There are several of them on here. I don't know why they do it? They certainly aren't trying to win us over. Early voting starts in about 150 days. After November they'll likely disappear.

18. Dax

Dax Members

Disruption is in your mind Mr Mountain cos maybe you haven't read the First Amendment ... "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

You're right im not, must make my eyesite better. Not blinded to the point that even my personal observations are thwarted by people telling me what to see.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  20. stormountainman

OH! How tragic!