kauai?

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by celeritea, Jan 5, 2006.

1. celeritea

celeritea Member

anyone know anything about this particular spot on the ocean?
    might be there soon :)

2. Dr. Lecter

Dr. Lecter Member

I've been there many times. I dare say that the north shore is the most beautiful place in the entire USA. A must-do there is taking one of the boat tours to the isolated Na Pali coast. It's around $80 and worth every penny and more. The Na Pali is a geological acid trip if there ever was one.

3. Archemetis

Archemetis Senior Member

dont waste your money one the boat trip....for one thing it dosent stop in kalalou, you can hike the coast if you dont mind walking 12 miles.

4. wavesweeper

wavesweeper Member

I lived on Kauai for just over six years, at Taylor Camp on the north shore. It's changed quite a bit to be sure, but if you go, be sure to hike the Na Pali coast.

It will be a most memorable trip, Lots of waterfalls along the trail and many hanging valleys along the way. In fact, if you got to the 8 1/2 mile marker, then head up the ridgeline, you'll come to a guave grove overlooking the ocean from about 4000 feet (ASL) I spent a lot of time there surfin, fishin and grow'in it. There's plenty of fruit to eat and I also planted several avocado trees.

You'll have a blast! If you're on a tight time line, you can boat to Kalalau and camp on the beach, It's a huge valley and many of us hippy folk made lots of shelter/ houses throughout the valley.

If you want to do a quik hike go 2 miles on the trail to the valley Hanakapai'i This was the sacred valley where the Kahuna's hung out. If you hike up the valley, go to where the old coffee mill was and you'll recognise it because there is a large stand of bamboo, and anothe avacado tree there. Anyways bear to the right and go to the fourth dry streambed on the right and then go up the streambed untill you see the giant lizard head carved out of stone... very cool.

There's just so much to see there on Kauai, not enought time to post all the cool spots.

Ah, one more. Right before you get to the end of the road where the trail starts, there is a "wet cave" on the right. It's marked and it sits under neath the mountain locals know as "Buddha Mountain" swim into the cave and look for a small opening on the right face, tread water through the opening and you'll reach a place called the "Blue Room" very cool colors during the noon day sun.....

wave

5. Duncan

Duncan Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Did you ever go ? What were your impressions ?

6. avoman

avoman Guest

Wavesweeper, Aloha, Just came across your post from 2006 and was wondering if we know each other. I was so excited to hear of someone
    else who was familiar with the lizardhead creek bed. I lived in a little
    square plastic and bamboo house there for a few months in 1975 before moving to taylor camp. I lived in camp for over 2 years till the end. We
    might have lots of mutual friends.

7. wavesweeper

wavesweeper Member

avoman, I'll bet we do! I was there in Hanakapai'i and along the NaPali coast from '75 thru '81. Lots of great memories from Taylor camp and Valley House. There are still quite a few living along the cast today and more than a few old timers still on island.

8. GHOSTCRAB

GHOSTCRAB Banned

There wasn't any your posts back then so it was hard to find your way back to where you'd been when there wasn't a new post.

9. wavesweeper

wavesweeper Member

It's been a while since there was any activity in this thread, so here's a link to some info on the Kauai scene back in the '60's - '70's. Taylor Camp.
    http://taylorcampkauai.com/live/

Cheers!