Kale! (eats your greens, but not spinach!

Discussion in 'Let Food Be Your Medicine' started by nimh, Aug 26, 2006.

1. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

kale, beautiful green, growing all winterlong. sweetened by the frost and so chockfull of nutrients. a lovely addition to hearty winter soups

2. honeyhannah

honeyhannah herbuhslovuh

I love kale, it's lovely in a cucumber/celery juice too, and it can be great in salads if you salt rub and let it moisten. :)

I love spinach too.

3. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

wait, why not spinach?

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

oxalic acid, it's an antinutrient that abounds in spinach. kale is better. a little bit of spinach now and then isnt gonna kill you but there are better options like kale when it comes to the green leafies.

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

[​IMG].

6. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

hmmm okay i'll have to switch to kale then. i eat a lot of spinach normally... i thought it was supposed to be great for me. i don't think i've ever tried it before but i hope it has as many uses as spinach because i put spinach in everything

7. HiatusMcGee

HiatusMcGee Banned

what about canned kale? thats how I cook with it, is it any worse than fresh.....

8. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

if i remember correctly... frozen is the best way to go because it's frozen pretty much immediately, while fresh often gets shipped really far and canned.... well i'm not really sure how canning works.

9. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

sorry, but canned foods are artifacts

my order of preference is:
    1. fresh from the garden
    2. fresh from the farmer's market
    3. locally grown produce from the grocery store
    4. imported produce from the grocery store
    5. choose something else that falls into the first 4 categories
    6. frozen produce
    7. dried produce
    8. canned produce is dead last because it is mostly dead
    canned kale is going to be better for you than junk 'food', but in the grand scale of things, it's not ~living~ anymore. :(

10. HiatusMcGee

HiatusMcGee Banned

hmmm that's the way we use it in my family recipie..... thanks for the info.

:)

11. Avocado Noni

Avocado Noni Member

Hey NIMH. Should we really be knocking a little oxalic acid in spinach when many people out there are still eating Mcdonalds and mac and cheese??? I think theres worse things people could do than eat spinach.

I personally don't like it, and I prefer fresh wild greens like dandelion, red clover, sorrell an dplantain...and organic romaine from the store(so refreshing...)...but I do know that the hybridized farmed spinach has much less oxalic acid than wild spinach...and it is only dangerous in large amounts, if you eat it everyday.

Kale ROCKS. Any plant strong enough to survive during winter is a plant energy I want in ME!

12. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

hey, glad you found my foodie forum, i was going to pm you an invite. :)

13. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Once temperatures rise, older kale plants will start going to seed. Kale plants create hundreds of tiny flowers on stalks that emerge where the leaves attach to the stem. In a couple of weeks, the flowers petals fall off and seed pods form on the stalks. Let the pods ripen and dry on the plant...they'll get brown and brittle...then harvest the largest pods. Remove the seeds from their pods...there will be hundreds...save them in a paper bag, and plant them in early spring.

14. blackcat666

blackcat666 Senior Member

nimh you are 100% WRONG about spinach or, any other members of the goosefoot family of vegetables.

spinach and any other members of the goosefoot family, is the number one vegetables too eat, to pervent blindness.

anyone who developes macula degeneration is perscribed, to eat a lot of goosefoot vegetables.
    they will slow down the degeration of the macula or, stop it all together.

if people were to eat just two (2) ounces of spinach or, other goosefoot vegetables a day from childhood to old age; macula degenration would become a very, very, very, rare disease.

kale is a great tasting veggie.
    i don't grow too much of it.
    i grow one hell of alot of swiss chard, which is a member of the goosefoot family, like spinach is.
    it is easy to grow.
    it grows all year round in this part of texas.
    it has the same therapeutic properies as spinach for the eyes.
    and, it taste one hell of alot better then kale!
    and no, neither carrots, nor kale, have the same therapeutic properies as spinach or, other goosefoot vegetables to pervent macula degeneration.

your opening post just proves that, a little knowledge can have dier consequences.

and, that stuff you said about canned veggies is horseshit also. but, that is for another discussion.

15. neone

neone Member

Oh shit what do i do! Spinnach is bad AND good for me!! I dont want to be blind!! I dont want to eat poison!!

Do you eat poison to stop blindness? What if I have Bowel Disruption? Do I have it with milk?
    I DONT WANT TO BE BLIND!!

16. SunnyHappyVegan

SunnyHappyVegan Member

Eeepp!
    I looove kale! I am absolutely OBSESSED with it right now! :D
    It's currently my favorite veggie :p

17. MissBHave

MissBHave insert clever phrase here

love me some kale
    and kale chips are bomb!!

18. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

kale chips!

tear up some kale leaves (i send the spine of the leaf to the compost) toss with some evoo and seasalt. if youre patient dehydrate them. for more instant gratification roast in a 350F oven until crunchy

divine :)

re oxalates: they block absorption of calcium by the body and form into calcium oxalate which forms kidney stones. ouch

if i was worried about macular degeneration (and im not) i would look at the quality of fats in my diet. too many pufas? not enough O3's? get rid of processed crap. up antioxidant intake. read some abram hoffer.

19. Alternative_Thinker

Alternative_Thinker Darth Mysterious

I drink this stuff made of 100% kale... I guess I'd call it kale shake, it's in the powder form and you mix it with water. It's totally green and actually tastes almost like milk. I drink it at least once everyday, if not twice a day. :)

20. PurpByThePound

PurpByThePound purpetrator

ive been eating hella kale with rice. shit is bomb

just put some garlic and olive oil in the pan, heat up, throw in the kale and cover for a few minutes to wilt a bit.