just fuckin cook will yer

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by paulfreespirit, Apr 9, 2007.

1. paulfreespirit

paulfreespirit Senior Member

not wanting to cause any break ups in marriages or relationships here like but CAN YOU COOK WITHOUT IT INVOLVING A MICROWAVE ?

2. paulfreespirit

guess its the chippy again then

3. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

Wait, you mean to tell me there's food that doesn't come out of a can? :confused:

4. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I can cook a couple of things. Can do a pretty decent stir fry and curry. I don't like microwaves. They're occassionally handy for heating stuff up, and I have one at my student digs, but I've lived most of my life without one and would quite happily live the rest of it without one too....

5. CrucifiedDreams

CrucifiedDreams Members

I couldn't cook if my life depended on it. I've started fires just using the toaster. :confused:

6. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

the only time i use the micro is if i want to make popcorn, porridge, or quickly heat something up.

i even pride myself in teaching my hubby how to cook (a bit). he used to only be able to open a tin and eat ... now he can make a roast chicken dinner (though i do have to remind him what temp to cook on).

my one massive flaw in cooking though is a slight fear of experimentation. i mean, especially when money is tight you sort of stick to what you know, as if you screw up and it's horrible then you spent all that money filling the bin.

maybe we should have a UK Forum Recipe Swap. :)

7. tomplus

tomplus Member

i hate what microwaves do to food... its alright on liquidy stuff like soup or baked beans

anything else like meat or potato always comes out with this weird texture to it.....

bleeeuuuuuuurrrrggghhhh

8. sentient

sentient Senior Member

whats a "microwave" ?

9. Peace-Phoenix

Peace-Phoenix Senior Member

I hate the way food comes out of microwaves so soggy. It's a brilliant piece of technology, but alas, probably a fine example of where technology has gone one step beyond necessity....

10. phoenix_indigo

phoenix_indigo dreadfully real

when my mom taught me home economics when i was in high school (i was taught at home ... ok) she spent a good week teaching me how to cook various things in the microwave. she had a meat thermometer that plugged into the wall of the microwave and everything and i was forced to learn a bunch of stuff i never used but that one week.

i wish instead she had taught me how to roast a chicken in the oven and make roast potatoes as before i came to England I'd never made a roast potato in my life! luckily that one came easy.

i'd bake so much more too if my kitchen weren't the size of a postage stamp. :p

11. dapablo

dapablo redefining

I use the microwave to precook Jacket potatoes and to reheat my ladies cup of coffee. Occaisionaly used to boil some veg when I run out of rings on the stove.

Frozen products would be bags of vegetables, breaded fish, sausages, vege burgers and ice-cream.

As an aside my son is in a second year at uni but has worked out that food is good and has learnt to improvise and experiment, that has pleased me very much.

12. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

We dont have a microwave. We grow nearly all our own food (yeah i mean nearly all. Were herbivores so no worries theres no room for pigs or cows in our back yard) and cook and prepare it ourselves every evening. Otherwise we mainly eat salads and stuff. Microwaved food is nasty

13. tomplus

tomplus Member

wow, does it take a lot of work? do you have food to eat all year round?

14. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Not much work at all really. We were prepared for it being hard, you wouldnt believe how tiny our yard is, and a lot is closed of from the sun. We have food for the summer months and the winter months...spring is more of a growing time although we have our own seeds and sprouts and things like lettuces. The rest of our food during this time we buy at a shop here called co-op, which sells organic fair trade fruit and veg at a reasonable price. We also buy a few things from health food shops, like soya-based foods.

But far as growings concerned, i actually dont have that much knowledge about gardening. We just thought one day we were sick of being so dependent on companies that rip us off, that dont care for the environment and whose food is full of unwanted stuff, so we planted. I pour water on them every now and then et voila:)

15. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Just noticed youre from the Uk...as would be expected from the UK forum...im so tired! So yeah the big co-ops are good for fruit and veg:D

16. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Our Co-Op is awful for fruit and veg as it happens. I'm up in north-east England. The selection is always quite poor and it's mainly these days, those pre-packaged salad eats.

And aye, I don't use the microwave all that often. Only really use it to re-heat or defrost. Hardly ever use it to cook a meal. Might bake the odd potato in there if I'm feeling exceptionally lazy, but that's a rare occasion.

UK recipe swap sounds like a good idea to me too by the way :)

17. paulfreespirit

yeah man fuck radiation ...........
    • green..........peace ......we have enough microwaveble veggys in goverment man .

18. verseau_miracle

verseau_miracle Banned

Yeah i used to live up north and the co-ops there were bad...maybe its a Cheltenham speciality then? We have a big big one full of organic kiwi fruits and mangoes and different herbs. Lovely

19. bokonon

bokonon Senior Member

Marvellous :) That's more like it.

I think as far as my town goes Sainbury's might be the best place for organic veg. They've made a pretty good effort...They aint half charging for it too of course! I still prefere to shop with the little independant fellas, though it can be a bit hit and miss.