junZ's Dreadz......

Discussion in 'Dreadlocks' started by junZ, Jun 12, 2010.

1. junZ

junZ -dreaded puertorican-

edit: forgive me. I'm reading the sticky now. lol.
    good info there.
    :p

Well... i know i'm new and all, but I need expert advice. I just did my dreadies 1 month ago, and I'm not really sure I f they're growing ok?

I use no products. I don't use wax. don't burn the tips or nothing.

I was growing kind of desperate cuz whenever i wake up my hair looks like a battlefield from Vietnam. i have to spend at least 30 mins. in front of the mirror everyday, spinning (twisting) them out like, giving them at least a little shape.

I have naturally NOT-straight hair. (extremely curly [kinky afro] and ugly) so... you can imagine the horrible images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

that is me as of today.... after trying to fix em up a little bit.

like i said, i'm no expert..... i was just wondering if i could have any advice on taking care of em, or making them grow faster? or.... perhaps, doing something @ bedtime so I wont wake up to a friggin' troll. lol

thanks in advance.

junZ :)

2. ChildInTime

ChildInTime Member

I'm all for looking like a troll. The ladies love a bit of mess

3. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Iv'e Looked A Mess Pretty Well All My Life, So When I Started Dreading

Nobody Really Noticed Anything Different....:D.

Cheers Glen.

4. junZ

well i was bald.
    by choice of course.

once i got married i didn't give a fuck about what others thought of me so..... i could finally fulfill my desire of having dreadlocks. :p

5. Enjoy

Enjoy Senior Member

you've got the right idea product wise.
    Being a curly headed freak your hair will knot with relative ease if you don't touch them.

Burning tips? Whats the logic behind that?

6. wameron36

wameron36 Senior Member

Maybe try sleeping with a headband or something on?
    Mine seem to be more presentable in the morning sometimes when I do that.

7. aFoolOnaHill

aFoolOnaHill Proper Villain

junZ, my advice is probably not what you're looking for, but if you just leave 'em alone for a year or so they will probably look badass

I burnt one once on accident while lighting mi spliff on the stove... it made the tip a bit less wispy and more blunt. I'm glad I didn't go up like Ivory :D

8. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

you may think you hair type is ugly, but in this forum you are a golden child. you could do nothing and you locks would turn out probably better than ours. twist every day for a few months, after that give more time between twisting. twisitng will increase circulation which increases growth.

9. junZ

thanks for your replies, guys...

enjoy: yeah, burnt. you won't believe what people do here to try to make insta-dreads. :/
    supposedly it prevents any knot from untying?

wameron: yeah... i just woke up after going to bed with a headband and it worked!!! it looks "bearable" and i can still call em' mini-dreads! thanks! :p

10. Mirithiar

Mirithiar Member

Nice start. I'll tell you what. I'd be happy to exchange my hair for yours - then you'll realise what mess really is and be happy with your locks :D

I feel like my hair decided that now it's a good time to stop all the knotting that normally goes on - so it is just all fuzzy and unbrushed. Sweet.

11. junZ

so..... how do I know exactly when they "lock"?
    im not really sure about that.

12. vigilanteherbalist2

vigilanteherbalist2 Senior Member

...maybe you should look at some pictures of locks...

you just know...lol

13. aFoolOnaHill

aFoolOnaHill Proper Villain

Knowing when they're 'locked' is just one of those things... we could describe what it feels like, but you won't really know until it happens.

14. junZ

I guess that when it happens, they won't have this "fluffly" feeling.... or have scattered random hair running around, like loosened up?

15. sanchobluesy

sanchobluesy Member

dude just palm roll
    or add a lil tea tree oil
    i think it makes your hair grow faster
    or eat banas
    or b12 for growth

or ignore every thing i typed and
    go to the beach wind dry the scalp
    and dont rinse out for
    about 3 days to a week

or rubb resin oil in there it is like a miricle helper(typio yeah ,i kno)

16. junZ

yeah i went to the beach yesterday an let the babies dry out in the hot sun while twisting them. that's how i got them to look like in the pictures. :)

thx for your advice.

17. junZ

new pics! I haven't been attending them quite well lately, and i've been force to "supress" them for work (using caps or vinnies) but.... they have grown a bit :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. beautifulwarrior

beautifulwarrior Member

Ok first of all it's hurts my heart that you called your hair ugly. It's the hair the Universe put on your head and white folks would KILL for our curls. We have some of the most versatile hair in the world. Be proud.

Secondly, what works for most of this forum might not work for your hair because it's different. Your hair will tell you what it needs though so trust it and yourself.

Lastly, check out Brittany's blog about her locks LocRocker. Her method of locking up might not be for you, but she's got a NICE timeline of how her locs developed over time and just other basic info about challenges that many loc wearers face. (Click the links at the top of her blog.) Her blogroll features a lot of other really nice blogs too.

19. junZ

i will check that thread out .... thanks for the post.

and sorry about the ranting before.... i've been......psychologically damaged i guess; my whole life.... with the hair thing. hence the rant.

20. beautifulwarrior

beautifulwarrior Member

I feel you man. I had really thick hair and I NEEDED a relaxer. And then I hated it. It took me a while to come back around to being in a happy place with my hair. ;)