Jump Britain

Discussion in 'U.K.' started by Loki84, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Loki84

Loki84 Member

Did anyone see this on channel 4 last night? Quite weird, really, but strangely attractive. The premise is that it focuses around a newish sport called parkour, where a whole bunch of people are running around a town doing tricks. It's kind like a cross between dancing, running, skateboarding and martial arts.

I've googled around looking at "Parkour" and it looks pretty cool. It seems to be more than just a leisure activity, but a whole philosophical thing as well.

2. Koolaid

Koolaid Member

Yeah I watched it again last night after first seeing it about a year ago..It is amazing to watch and looks very liberating....Probably a lot harder than it looks though..

3. roly

roly Senior Member

yes i saw it! it's amazing. the people doing it look so....free! Its very cool. Yes u must have to be athletic to participate! :eek: I also think it has a balletic quality to it!
    Roly.xxx

4. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

I saw a commercial for the show here in the US, but I havent seen the show. I think I missed it, though. Was on the discovery channel I believe.

5. mart_182

mart_182 Member

i saw the show on it a while back and bits of it last night, i thought it was a bit over rated. i agree that its incredibly athletic and bloody hard to do, but the one i saw about a year ago had about 45mins of build up that got you really excited, then let you right down when you see the guys just running all over the roofs, not doing very much in the way of athletic feats. granted i didnt see the one last night, and it may be competely different, but i hate the way they present these things as some sort of major human event, putting forward the athletes themselves as some sort of supermen, and making everything sound so serious.

bitch over:)

6. roly

roly Senior Member

totally mart...i understand what u mean...i hate that kind of advertising...it tends to be a let down a lot of the time...
    Roly.xxx

7. chickabean

chickabean Senior Member

i thought it was wikkid! some of my mates are into free rnning ...which does seem to be like little boys jumpin down the stairs alot..but the program was filmed amazingly!

8. PeopleAreStrange

PeopleAreStrange Member

oh i was amazed by watching that last night, i could have watched it all night...its amazing!

9. Loki84

Loki84 Member

it looks like such a good idea, and yeah, this is a whole bunch of people who are good at it, but the whole philosophy is that even if you're running to the shops instead of walking, that's free running - It's about using your hands and your feet in an interesting manner.

10. matthew

matthew Almost sexy

Last year was jump London... this year was jump Britain. I caught last years not this years. I liked last years , but it was a little orchestrated for me ..noyt enough danger... i don't think they are nutters so i would always be dissapointed i guess.