Judy Mowatt says that Bob Marley is Joseph...

Discussion in 'Rastafari' started by natural philosophy, May 30, 2007.

1. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

...the Joseph that was sold into slavery by his brothers yet still redeemed their lives with his food.

Judy Mowatt said in an interview that she believes Bob Marley to be the return of Joseph to redeem his brothers with spiritual food.

i know this forum doesn't get a lot of traffic, but anybody have any opinions?

2. mati

mati Member

Judy should certainly know, probably better than anyone else. I don't see anything particularly surprising about the revelation either, and totally agree.

3. natural philosophy

it makes sense in the whole 'selassie was jesus', 'garvey was john the baptist', 'marley was joseph' kind of thing, but it seems too forced to me. i don't understand the need for the mythology like this. i am just fine praising bob for his work as a world revolutionary, i'm not going to pretend he is a biblical figure.

that is the very thing that rastafarI and i disagree with. that is, placing humans in the position of god, or in the position of 'prophets', greater or lesser, or whatever. i've heard of Leonard Howell being equated with elijah the prohet. all of this seems very forced to me. to be used as an instrument with which to further the message of rastafarI, by making it seem more glamorous than it really is.

4. mati

mati Member

I don't know in what context Judy was saying these things and of course it is best not to try and place too strict parameters. But if she was just trying to draw parallels between Bob and Joseph, I don't see much harm in that. After all, the world is full of archetypes and myths, it helps people to understand when they can relate the story of Bob to the story of Joseph. History keeps repeating itself. But I understand and agree with you that it should not be made too glamorous. There are lots of carpenters around.

5. natural philosophy

well, she actually said that Bob was the reincarnation of the spirit of Joseph. but i guess you do have a point when you say that archetypes help people understand and relate to the story.

i guess my beef with rastafarI is that many times, it's easier for them to give divine qualities to humans, because, after all, the true rasta god is a human. it reminds me of the catholics, with their popes and their saints, though, at least the catholics wait until the saints are dead before calling them holy.

6. mati

mati Member

I don't know much about rastafari. I am sceptical about anything "supernatural" and therefore it may be better to give divine qualities to humans, rather than to something that may not exist. I am defining "divine" in the sense of "to know", rather than some definition of "supernatural" powers

7. Xac

Xac Visitor

:lol:

8. Leave Me Be

Leave Me Be Member

Agreed. Rasta seems to me to be a better way of thinking, and living. Not neccessary worshiping Selassie. Its all what you make it.

9. Puffis

Puffis Member

He very well could be, or he might be a prophet in his own right, I read several biographies of him and he apparently showed signs of great spiritual strength, which is common amongst prophets.

10. Xac

Xac Visitor

Common? In my opinion it's a pre-requisite! Could you imagine a true prophet of 'God' being spiritually weak? it would make no sense at all...

11. natural philosophy

well then, exactly what is a 'prophet'? is it somebody who speaks for god, because god cannot speak to us directly?

12. Xac

Xac Visitor

Well from the 'bible' God uses prophets because he doesn't want to talk to us directly, he is very choosy about who he hangs out with...

13. natural philosophy

or maybe the god of teh_bibble is make believe.

14. Xac

Xac Visitor

Maybe but this is a Rasta forum and we're talking about Jah/Yahweh/Jehovah, sorry if i shot down your smarty pants comment about God not being able to talk to us directly.

Hallelu Jah

15. Puffis

Puffis Member

I am sorry you are right, I was being too vague, what I meant was that since his birth he possessed great spiritual overstanding.