John Paul II Cleared For Sainthood By Pope Francis

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by odonII, Jul 5, 2013.

1. odonII

odonII O

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

And now we wait for Maelstrom to tell us about religion and religious people

3. odonII

odonII O

Maybe I should have put this somewhere where it wouldn't be trolled. Kept in my head, probably.

Do all Popes become saints?

4. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

No. Most of them don't.
    John Paul II was really something special though.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think everyone can speak their opinion about saints, sainthood, religion, catholics etc. Why be bothered by people who don't understand shit about it anyway :p I do have an opinion about sainthood myself though but why spoil it if it's basicly just something for catholics.

No.

6. odonII

odonII O

Thanks. I was being a little lazy.

The short answer is no, not all Popes became Saints after their death. In total, there have been 265 Popes, including Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI. Of those 265 Popes, less than a third (78) are Saints, most of these in the early centuries of the Church; many were martyrs. A further eleven have been named blessed (an intermediate step toward Sainthood), with Pope John Paul II’s recent beatification.

In 1588, the modern Sainthood process the Vatican now follows, began. When Pius X, who died in 1914, was made a Saint in 1954, he was the first Pope so honored in almost 400 years. Pope John Paul II received his blessed recognition exactly six years and 29 days following his death largely due to the papal exemption (waived by Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI) that five years must pass between a person’s death and the opening of his or her Sainthood cause.

It's all very strange to me...

UNLESS YOU BELIEVE,
    YOU WILL NOT UNDERSTAND
    (cf. Is 7:9)

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/f...ncesco_20130629_enciclica-lumen-fidei_en.html

7. odonII

odonII O

[​IMG]

8. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

I liked Pope John Paul II, but don't you have to perform some miracles to be a saint? Making hand glasses isn't a miracle.
    [​IMG]

9. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Isn't he the pope who allowed the raping of little boys for so long? Or was that all handled by other Catholic leaders?

10. odonII

odonII O

Two, apparently. But I'm sure he has performed hundreds of thousands of miracles.

11. odonII

odonII O

:sleeping:

12. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I don't think he allowed it.

13. LetLovinTakeHold

LetLovinTakeHold Cuz it will if you let it

Well I used the term loosely. When you let Priests who have been known to Molest children to continue to mentor Children behind closed doors.....that's allowing it to happen in my book.

14. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

it was the one after him who specifically ignored/covered it up. JP was a pretty good egg, by all accounts.

i wonder what his miracles are going to be? i've heard some fairly pathetic ones when the church were looking for an excuse to beatify(?) someone they felt was "due". Mother Theresa's, for example.

anyway, he seemed like a nice pope, as popes go.

15. odonII

odonII O

The idea of it being 'due' is something I was thinking about...

On May 1, 2011, the late pope John Paul II was beatified as a precursor to sainthood after being credited for miraculously curing a French nun of Parkinson’s Disease. On that day, the family of a severely ill Costa Rican woman reportedly prayed to the beatified pontiff for her recovery. According to Costa Rican daily La Nacion, the sick woman had visited the Calerdon Guardia hospital in San Jose just days before John Paul was beatified and was diagnosed with an aneurism on a major blood vessel in her brain. After the beautification and the family’s prayers, the aneurism miraculously disappeared, according to Alejandro Vargas Roman, the attending physician in an interview with La Nacion. Because there was no logical medical explanation and plenty of proof of the prayers to the pontiff, the miracle was chalked up to the divine intercession of the late John Paul II. It was then submitted to the Congregation for the Causes of Saints, along with scores of others, to be considered as his second miracle, which is necessary for attaining sainthood.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...pe-john-paul-ii-likely-to-become-a-saint.html

?

16. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

He was held in high esteem by those of the faith and was a Pope who was not above those he served.

I think that it is an honour befitting his service.

17. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Just what was needed. More idolatric saints.

18. odonII

odonII O

Meaning?

19. daisymae

daisymae Senior Member

Shit, you mean I can pray to him and he will cure me? I have stretch marks. :(

20. deleted

deleted Visitor

is communication open with the Saint John Paul II .. if not, when will service be connected??