John Lennon Heroin Smoker.

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Ged, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Did any if you know that for a period John Lennon smoked heroin? I found out in a biography of him I read. It gives songs like 'Cold Turkey' a striking poignancy. Does this surprise you and how does it change your opinion of John? Some say it was heroin arriving on the scene that soured the hippy movement. Many of you may think John was an asshole but he is my favourite Beatle. It is popular opinion that Yoko split the Beatles but I think that was inevitable anyway. I much prefer his solo stuff after meeting Yoko. I was lucky to see her play at the Royal Festival Hall with her son by John, Sean. She gave everyone an 'Ono Chord' which I still have. It's a little torch that we all shone during the performance.

But heroin. What's your opinion?

2. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Heroin is an awful drug. Heroin these days is much worse because a lot of it is laced with deadly fentanyl. People are dying in huge numbers everyday. In my opinion, anyone who buys heroin off the streets pretty much has a death wish.

And yeah, I knew Lennon was into heroin. I didn't know he smoked it, though. I assumed he shot it or snorted it. I actually didn't even know heroin could be smoked.

tjr1964, DiagonalZone and Bilby like this.
  3. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

It is smoked on foil through a rolled foil tube.

I agree that impure heroin is a serious problem, and injecting is very scuzzy. But smoking pure heroin is no more dangerous than drinking in my opinion. I've smoked on and off for years but never been around needles. It is VERY nice.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Sharesrule likes this.
  4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I had heard Lennon got into Heroin, I never cared to look into what extent he used it. From a musical standpoint, it sounds like he was using Heroin circa The White Album. Granted I've never used the drug, but songs like "I'm so Tired" and "Happiness is a Warm Gun" have a sludgy, dark edge to them, which is a stark contrast to their prior couple psychedelic records.

tjr1964 likes this.
  5. deleted

deleted Visitor

smoked heroin smells funny.. like not something I want to inhale funny

tjr1964 and Natepnt66 like this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Doesnt change my opinion about him at all. I still think he was a pretentious d bag

(I love the Beatles but John just comes across as so pretentious and just ugh. George is the best Beatle)

tjr1964, mefesh and Natepnt66 like this.
  7. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

My opinion of Heroin essentially echoes Pressed Rat. Although it is something that has piqued my interest in the past, with how prevalent it is cut with the exponentially more potent fentanyl among other stuff, I have no desire to try it. Plus from what I've read of the Heroin experience, I think Ketamine essentially approximates that for me, but instead of leaving reality with a clear mind, I leave reality with an overactive mind.

8. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

Two people that I know died from heroin overdoses. Also, I didn't know that. Yes, it does change my opinion of him, but not his music.

9. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

More people die in car crashes. But that's an acceptable loss...Sorry about your friends. But why stigmatise something that just helps to ease the pain. Alcohol and tobacco is much worse. It's all a matter of perception. I know of other stars who have smoked heroin but they are still alive so I won't mention them. There is a terrible taboo against anyone enjoying themselves in this society. Sherlock Holmes smoked opium but no one judges him because he is upper class. Screw the establishment. It's all so petty and school marmish.

tjr1964 and FritzDaKatx2 like this.
  10. ~Zen~

~Zen~ Ancient Mariner Administrator

A lot of major musicians of that time, and up to now, have fallen into that same trap of despair and heavy drug use. We all knew about Lennon back then, this thread comes as no surprise.

11. Running Horse

Running Horse A Buddha in hiding from himself

I found out Lennon did heroin back in high school when I did a book report on him. Never been one to judge a person on their personal proclivities so no it never changed my opinion of him

Ged and RainyDayHype like this.
  12. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Happiness is a warm gun

13. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

No. I think you'll find it's a warm bum.

14. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

Did not know this. I still like him the same. Ringo is my fav though.

15. RainyDayHype

RainyDayHype flower power Lifetime Supporter

You reminded me of Central Park..ya know his ashes are scattered there? It made me incredibly sad to see the Dakota. I just stood and sank there for a while.

tjr1964 and Running Horse like this.
  16. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Ringo was very cute.

RainyDayHype likes this.
  17. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

It just adds another dimension to what we know of him. I'm not surprised at all.

18. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

Happiness is a Warm Gun was actually about sex.
    The Heroin came later.
    He abhorred needles and snorted his heroin.
    So did I, years later.
    When I had my amputation, I had a lot of pain for a long time.
    The doctors here are afraid to give painkillers for long term use unless it's for someone terminally ill, though.
    I was on Oxycodone for about 2 months, but still needed it.
    I couldn't afford it at 5 bucks a pill, so I used heroin. Instead of 10 a dose, a bundle, 10 doses, cost $50.
    I remained on heroin, which I snorted, for close to a year.
    It took a few months more to wean myself off the stuff.
    I'm glad my pain was physical. It must be much harder to medicate yourself against emotional pain.
    That was his problem... He couldn't find peace in his heart.
    I know all this to be true because I met him in 1974, during his separation, and he told me about it.
    I never thought I would get addicted, but you never know.

scratcho likes this.
  19. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I had to kick an intravenous meth habit - it's a problem! Omg.. It's hard!

I only ever did H once. China white it was. Probably fentanyl, if that was a thing in 2006.

I'd to pry myself off of booze as well, but that's a different animal being that it's more socially acceptable to drink.

But yeah... the heroin will kill the crap out of you. My friend Ryan keeled of an overdose - intravenous heroin. It's horrific. I still feel for his dad... mom too. And sister...

It's a little hard for me to imagine John Lennon being involved with the same thing, but I believe it.

20. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

Both he and Yoko were hooked.
    His song Cold Turkey was about the experience getting off the stuff.
    He and Yoko used to snort their heroin, never used needles.
    He couldn't understand why everyone was so down on the person he loved, once he'd found her.
    It was hard for her, too, being so hated.

scratcho likes this.