Joe Biden--our new president!!

Discussion in 'Latest Hip News Stories' started by scratcho, Jan 20, 2021.

1. granite45

granite45 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Joe Biden has brought a huge sigh of relief to America; it people, its trees, its animals, all creatures great and small! No longer will greed, profits over people and the environment be the order of the day. On his first day he has done more for our human future than we could even have hoped for. Your Children and children yet to be conceived will cheer for January 20, 2021. You will also as the reality sinks in.

scratcho and wilsjane like this.
  2. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

As I am sure that you know, I qualified as a doctor in 1972 and I worked in cardio thoracic surgery for many periods over the years. My figures for the UK are fairly accurate and inline with the numbers in the mortuary at a major London hospital.

Death is a very unsavoury and as a result, other than doctors, few people understand the process.
    Around 5% of deaths are very rapid. These include serious accidents, murders, Sudden aortic or neurological aneurism and flat line cardiac arrest.
    Viruses do not play a part in these deaths.

The reminding 95% are caused when when the body gives up its fight against a disease, cannot recover after an injury. Heart attacks and serious strokes are included, along with the body simply shutting down at the end of life.
    In these cases a virus is involved.
    Put fairly simply, a highly weakened immune system is attacked by the first virus that comes along and death follows one of two major routes.
    With patients that have a cancer or raspatory condition, the virus attacks the lungs, followed by pathogenic bacteria, leading to pneumonia, septicaemia and then death.
    Patients with digestive illnesses, particularly diabetes can follow a different route. Here the most common is when the virus along with pathogenic bacteria result in renal failure. Without the purification of the body fluids, multi organ failure is the final results.

When either of these processes commence, while with some patients death is very rapid, with others, with the use of ICU ventilation, along with a cocktail of antibiotics, life can be saved. However, with seriously sick patients, their life is mostly only extended by a matter of months.

A virus epidemic causes peaks in the deaths, followed by a trough that evens the annual mortality rate out. Since most viruses epidemics occur in winter the annual increase in mortality will normally be spread over 2 years.
    This is something that has happened for centuries, but few people take any notice.

Now here lies the problem.
    The processes leading from virus to death occurs in a small percentage of fairly healthy people. These people can be saved by ICU treatment and will return to fairly normal health.
    The moment that hospitals are overwhelmed, or diagnoses is slowed down, their will be UNNESSARY deaths.
    This is why we ALL need to slow the spread of covid down in order to protect these people.

A final point.
    Every day their are a few unexplained deaths. They happen all the time, including to one of our friends a few years ago. Since covid is the current virus, it is being blamed for most of these unexplained deaths.

I could continue all night on the fine details, but I hope that my explanation of this unsavoury subject will improve your understanding of the current situation.
    If you have followed the thread by Jennifer, you will realise that life is not all doom and gloom. Surviving covid with only one lung working at 50% should give us all food for thought.

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

:confused::tearsofjoy:

That, my friend, sounds an awful lot like semantics.

Let's see. No. just no

Tishomingo and Tyrsonswood like this.
  4. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

So are posts that seem to minimize the effort against the virus. You seem to suggest that in most cases the virus isn't the primary cause of most of the deaths--which also seems to be the main talking point of our resident Aussie troll and avid Trumpster, VG. Is this even relevant? Were it not for Covid-19, would the deceased have died anyway and as early as they did? And does that matter? I'm sure that if one thing doesn't get me, another will, sooner or later, and that if I should catch Covid-19 my chances of survival will depend on my genetics and general underlying health. So what? I'd rather it be later than sooner, and I'd rather not take my chances with my physical constitution. A seemingly healthy firefighter in Oklahoma contracted the virus and ended up on life support as a result of a previously unknown medical condition. True,it wasn't just the virus. There seem to be an unusual number of Covid-19 cases in my state and community, and an unusually large number of resulting deaths, and the local hospital is so overwhelmed it's putting beds for Covid-19 cases in offices and conference rooms.

In the USA, we have a significant component of the population, loyal to the former president, that minimizes the danger of the virus, believes it's either a hoax or is greatly exaggerated, protests local ordinances mandating masks, etc. Even makes death threats on public officials who are trying to deal with the crisis! Are you agreeing with them, in a circuitous way? What exactly is your point?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2021
    scratcho and Tyrsonswood like this.
  5. Tishomingo

Tishomingo Members

You may be right that we're all screwed. Obama at least had a Democrat majority during his first two years, but Mitch and Republicans armed with the filibuster made certain he could get little done after that except through executive order. Biden faces a Senate split 50-50 and a judiciary packed with Trump appointees. We'll see how well that works, and what the results will be. Americans may need to experience the consequences of their bad choices. How does that Biblical prophecy go? (Ezekiel 5:10).

6. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

This is the REAL problem, since people are frequently panicking with covid and unnecessarily going to the hospital. Only a small number of these people can overwhelm the hospital, putting countless lives at risk, both by delaying admission to people who need ICU treatment, while spreading the virus to other non infected patients. Infecting a patient shortly after major surgery can easily kill them.
    covid is a nasty virus and it is no hoax. Being a first mutation to humans, we have little immunity, so it will undoubtedly cut a few seriously ill patients lives short. However, while we need to slow the spread down, at the same time we are slowing the spread of natural immunity.

Stories from the US deeply shock me. Telling people that it is a hoax is insane, but with the correct understanding and guidance, additional deaths should not exceed a few percent. Statistically, 250,000 additional US deaths in any year equates to sick people dying one month earlier.
    I hate the idea of people feeling that these deaths do not matter to me, I am just trying to paint a more accurate picture.
    Prior to covid, I supported some of Trumps ideas and thought that he was being hounded by the corporations making billions from Chinese imports while draining the US economy.
    Since covid, I now regard him as an idiot and totally unfit to run a country.

Take a look at my #22 post on this thread, it may help you to see the complexity of the situation and why covid is rarely the primary cause of death.
    Take care.
    Wills.
    After mentioning that you have underlying medical conditions, needles to say you should be careful. Taking the CORRECT supplementary dose of vitamins C and D is a good idea if you feel that they may be lacking in your diet.

scratcho and Tishomingo like this.