Jerky

Discussion in 'Munchie Recipes' started by Enonemouse, May 11, 2004.

1. Enonemouse

Enonemouse Happy Wanderer

3lbs beef (any wild meat my fav is deer)strips
    1/3 cup Worchestershire Sauce
    1 tsp Onion Powder
    1/4 cup Soya Sauce
    1 tsp garlic Powder
    3 tbsp catsup (optional)
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp hickory smoked salt (optional)
    I use liquid smoke.

I leave out the pepper and the catsup. The catsup makes the meat stick to the dehydrator really bad. If you put it on in the morning, it should be done by evening, if you don't cut the meat too thick.

2. scarlettchasingroses

scarlettchasingroses strawberry tart

guess this would be a good recipe for frequent campers....i just don't handle the whole jerky thing very well....although i have found the homemade kind is way better than the crap you can buy in the store.....

3. Enonemouse

My kids love it. It is sooooooooo much nicer then anything you will ever buy. Not only for campers. My kids carry it in pockets when out playing and things as well far better for them then a chocolate bar or candies!!!

Love & Laughter
    EnonEmouse

4. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

when we make jerky, i usually just sprinkle spices on the meat (pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, or chili powder or whatever i feel like when i'm doing it)

it's easiest to slice the meat thinly if it's half frozen, too.

i dont have a dehydrator, so i hang the meat strips off of the metal rack in the oven and put the oven on around where 100F (there's no marking on the dial, i just eyeball it) would be and leave it until the meat's dehydrated.

5. Enonemouse

Yes I slice my meat when it is still a little frozen as well I just didn't mention it becaue I forgot. You can cut it way thinner when it is still partly frozen. I do like to let me meat swim for a bit first as I love loads and loads of flavour in mine.

The oven idea is a good one. I have to say I wish I had thought of that before I had my dehydrator. I would have to put someing underneath mine to catch the sauce drips but it would work a treat.

Love & Thanks
    EnonEmouse

6. Thethirdbenjamin

Thethirdbenjamin Member

I always get my jerky from the shop, never thought you could make it yourself thought that it could only be made in the factory.

I was wondering if you could do a step by step instruction, lets assume that a person is thinking about this recipe, but that person has absolutely no idea what he's doing, LoL...

7. Enonemouse

First get a cut of meat you want to use for the jerky. The easiest way to cut it thin is to have if partly frozen. Slice it as thin as you can manage (you get better each time you cut it) Place all the meat into a bowl and pour over the jerky marinate and let stand for at least 5 hours or longer. If you place it in the fridge it can marinate for as long as 24 hours really. Once it has set as long as you wish take each piece of meat and place it flat in the dehydrator until you have all the meat in it. It you don’t have a dehydrator try the oven method mentioned previously but do put a tray of some sort underneath as they meat will drip if you use this marinate. Let the meat dry out until it is completely dry. Store in an airtight container and consume within 3 months or so. I have never had any last longer then a couple weeks and that was only by hiding some of it. As it is stated in the recipe if you are using a dehydrator it should take approximately a day.

Hope that helps

Love & Laughter

EnonEmouse