Jean Auel's Earth's Children Series

Discussion in 'Fiction' started by angelgodiva, Nov 19, 2004.

1. angelgodiva

angelgodiva Senior Member

I recently read the fifth book in the series, Shelters Of Stone, and I am enjoying them immensely. They are well written and, I think, very absorbing. Jean Auel's attention to detail and her research skills are phenomenal.
    The series includes four other titles (so far) beginning with Clan Of The Cave Bear. It's a bit silly that the heroine, Ayla, seems to invent practically everything from the sewing needle and hairbrush to the method of starting fire with flint and iron pyrite, but that's forgiveable when you consider the skill the writer has at drawing you into the ancient world and keeping you there until you absolutely HAVE to tear yourself away from the story because something else DEMANDS your attention.
    Has anyone else read these books, and if so, which was your favorite? As much as I loved the first novel, I think The Mammoth Hunters was the best so far.

2. Soulless||Chaos

Soulless||Chaos SelfInducedExistence

They are alright books, except for as you said, how the mian character invents everything, and also how every couple of pages there's like 20 pages of sex... Just get's old after a bit... :rolleyes:

3. Angelmama

Angelmama Angel Lifetime Supporter

I have read all of them.
    I like the first one best, mainly because the others have far too much sex in them.
    It's almost the point of it all after COTCB. I can no longer see well enough to read and listen to audio books. I can't easily skip the parts I did in reading so can only enjoy book 1 now.
    Pity, too. I liked a lot of stuff from the rest... Like Ayla turning male underwear into fashion!
    I agree that it was ridiculous to have Ayla invent EVERYTHING.