I've developed a slight obsession with emo music...

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Politics are awesome, May 31, 2006.

1. LK1

LK1 Member

oh man.. i like coldplay... whats wrong with them?

2. lalalamort

lalalamort Fucked up upstairs

Coldplay is the best band to have been formed in the last 20 years

3. KyndVeggie4Peace

KyndVeggie4Peace -[ in.bloom ]-

* I hope nobody reads this *

I <3 ...

- Dashboard Confessional
    - Brand New
    - Jacks Manequin
    - Hot Rod Circuit
    - The Early November
    - Panic! At The Disco
    - Fall Out Boy
    ... Plus alot more

Even Coldplay ... :rolleyes:

This has been the most 'emo' thread I have ever posted.

I'm going to go hide in the corner now and cry about that girl I made with last week at some trashy party ... I might even write a song about it.

P.S. Rayne_Lyric ... Nice 'Brand New' refrence reguarding the fungus from kissing people ... "I hope the next boy that you kiss has somthing terribly contagious on his lips!"

:D

:(

4. all_rhodesian_reject

all_rhodesian_reject Sonskyn Elvis

I absolutely despise emo, and coldplay and this thread as a result :D

5. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Coldplay is not an emo band though. Emo lyrics don't make it an emo band. Is a type of music, it is just that the lyrics usually go hand in hand with it. However, as with Weezer, this is not the case. Coldplay is no more emo than U2!

On another note: KyndVeggi, awesome band you got listed there that I *didn't read* ;) . Yeah, that is deffinately a good Brand New song.

6. jean_genie

jean_genie psychedelic saturday

your emo glasses are really.. emo :D

o_O

7. prismatism

prismatism loves you

i like bright eyes, dashboard confessional, fall out boy, some panic! at the disco... wouldn't my chemical romance and the used fall under emo? it's kind of funny, none of the "emo" bands really sound anything like eachother. their lyrics are nothing alike. the only thing they have in common is that they're sad and stylish.

it's the same conundrum as the cure being the biggest "goth" band, when their hits were songs like Friday I'm in Love and Just Like Heaven. i don't understand how these labels and groups assemble in the first place.

but i do know that taking back sunday is a shit band. a couple songs are good, but some are just unbearably bad. the same with the all-american rejects. i liked most of their first cd though.

it's crazy how much image has to do with the way we interpret music. if you listened to 30 songs by 30 bands and didn't know what any of them looked like, i'm sure you'd seperate them differently than they are now.

i'm jumping around. oh well. emo is the dumbest trend i've ever heard of. what kind of music ISN'T emotional? gangsta rap? is everything that isn't gangsta rap emo?

labels are fucking stupid. especially when they make absolutely no sense.

8. KyndVeggie4Peace

AMEN.

Listen to these words and respect! :D :p :D

9. spooner

spooner is done.

But only one style of music makes you come off like a huge pussy for having emotions.

10. KyndVeggie4Peace

11. spooner

spooner is done.

Personally, I can't stand (for lack of a better term) "effeminate" music.

12. KyndVeggie4Peace

Gee ... I wish I could come up with a great 'emo' song quote for you right now but i'm to intoxicated to make my brain think that much ... I like MUSIC reguardless of it's 'genre' ... I like lyrics and the meaning behid them.

If you can tell me you have never had a girl be a bitch to you and you and can't relate to a good song about that .. then you need to get out more Brad, sorry. :D

13. spooner

spooner is done.

Ahhh my ears don't break with my heart.

Oh god that sounded gay.

14. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Hahaha, thanks. I have actually been wearing emo glasses since before I knew what emo really was. But unlike some emo kids, mine are actually prescription.

15. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Well, if all bands sounded the same, then who would want to listen to that genre? Just like The Clash and The Ramones sound NOTHING alike, but they are both old school punk, Jefferson Airplane and Pink Floyd don't sound alike, but they are both Psychadellic bands, and Led Zeppelin and The Who don't sound a lot alike, but they are both Hard Rock. Oddly enough, not all emo IS sad. I don't even know why Weezer is considered emo. Their music is more like powerpop, their lyrics aren't depressing, few songs are about any heartache and they aren't incredibly poetic.

Well all music does convey some emotion, however that is the backbone of Emo. Heavy Metal always sounds angry (eceptions for those aweful power ballads!), goth is depressing and sad in an angry sort of way, blues is sad, etc. However, unlike those, the emotion in emo is at a higher level. The lyrics are usually more about conveying the emotion than using pretty words and flowing nicely, and a lot of times it seems like the singer is about to start crying in certain parts of the songs.

16. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

"My ears don't break with my heart". Wow, that sounded so damn emo man! No kidding!

17. jean_genie

jean_genie psychedelic saturday

i think, we all would like to see you dress up as a hippie and take lots of pics.. ;P

heh

18. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Already beat you to it! I took several pics of in the approximately 8 or 9 months when I DID dress like a hippie, which are also very recent. For your viewing pleasure, my dear:

[​IMG]
    This was taken shortly after receiving that Baja hododie and thos John Lennon style glassees (I later learned to wear them cooler, as you will see)

[​IMG]
    Me mimicing the famous Hendrix shot. Yes, I did make those flared sleeved by myself!

[​IMG]
    That is an Abbey Road tee shirt, by the way. Also notice the Love Beads I am dawning. Also, the peace symbol you see me wearing in all these pictures.

[​IMG]

I saved this best one for last. It symbolized the height of my hippiedom. American flag bandana sybolizing how I will not bow down to any flag or government that hides behind it, wearing my red lennon style glasses on the tip of my nose, not unlike some shots of Jerry Garcia. You may note that my hair is a differant color (orange-ish). This is because I speant $60 to get the black stripped out and to "try" to get it back to my natural color. Sadly, that is as close as she could get it because all of the black dye screwed up my hair bad.

Is that hippie enough, Jean_genie?

19. rayne_lyric

rayne_lyric Member

Also forgot to note, on the last shot (taken in my room) the strap you see is my guitar strap. Also note the posters on the walls behind me. My huge Bob Dylan poster, The Who, Bob Marley... Yeah, there are a lot of others in my room too.

20. prismatism

prismatism loves you

i was gonna ask about the glasses :). and i have the same peace sign necklace, but mine is pink. and did you go to a salon for your hair? next time you try to get the black out, just buy a stripper/bleach and do it yourself... that's a lot of money to spend on hair.

i'm still saying we seperate them based on their image. and i think you just kind of proved that. in no way would i want all music to sound the same! i listen to music like ween, the flaming lips, bjork, and the moldy peaches, which are all very strange. i'm just saying... for example, jefferson airplane and pink floyd. they sound nothing alike, true. you could say their lyrics make them psychedelic, but then wouldn't aqua be a psychedellic band too? they're psychedelic because of the way the present themselves. and, if i didn't know anything about jim morrison, i'd put the doors in the same category as U2.

most "goth" music i've heard (oldschool goth, not whatever it is now) is actually kind of upbeat and techno-y. how about the jesus and mary chain... are they goth? and then marilyn manson, who i'd say is "goth", would be in the same category as mindless self indulgence and 36 crazyfists.

emo used to be all about poetry. back before it merged with goth/glam, when dashboard was the epitome of emo. okay, so chris does occasionally sound like he's about to cry. but so does ville valo. he's not emo. which i really don't understand... why not?...

sorry if i'm being obnoxious. i'm just perplexed. i want to know, what's the criteria for a band to be emo? and, why aren't there any girls in these emo bands? if you're a girl and you sing the same emo song as a boy, does it turn into folk? because ani difranco comes to mind, but her lyrics are better than most emo bands'. (and the postal service doesn't count)