I've been incredibly bothered recently

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by obnoxiously, Feb 12, 2009.

1. obnoxiously

obnoxiously Member

And perhaps this is more of a philosophical question, but I have been wondering (thinking too much, really) about the psychedelic culture

I've always been into that sort of thing, psychedelic music and art and general trippiness, however I've never done any sort of psychedelic drug. I'd been into the Doors and Pink Floyd and such before I even thought of smoking weed.

I know that there are some people whose work is considered quite psychedelic but in fact wasn't a product of drugs (Mati Klarwein for example) and I also know that you can't just give only old idiot acid and magically get Sgt Peppers (and I will thus never lose respect for the great psychedelic musicians) but I still worry.

Am I getting into a culture that is based merely on people taking a drug? Or is the psychedelic culture actually a product of the people themselves?

2. zombiewolf

zombiewolf Senior Member

If you have never tripped before, you are not going to know what trippy really means...You know what? Even the crappiest music can be trippy when you are trippin'. And really good music can occupy entirely new dimensions in your mind. Also since, in the end, the effects of music are only realized in the individual mind, there is no real way of knowing if anyone else hears the things in music that you do.;)

I think you should get some mushrooms( I heard Hawaii has some tremendous strains) and go see some live music with friends at a festival or something. I think if you've got a good head on your shoulders, you will answer these questions perfectly yourself.

I don't normally encourage any kind of drug use, but I don't think anyone should miss out on at least one cool trip in their lifetime.:)

ZW :peace:

3. Humminbird

Humminbird Member

It's likely both - more a product of the people than the drug I think. I would agree with wolfman - acid is an experience that should not be missed - if not just one time. That will likely give you the answer you're looking for.

4. nesta

nesta Banned

these questions are too limiting, and missing the point entirely anyway.

its not either-or.

and NOT everybody should try psychedelics, not by a long shot.

also there is no psychedelic culture, but thats simply splitting hairs.

my advice is trite but true: follow your heart.

5. -beatnick

-beatnick Senior Member

find some lsd or mushrooms, eat them, then think about it.

6. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

Here's your problem

'merely taking a drug'? the renaissance was largely spurred by the introduction of coffee to europe, which allowed people after their working hours to be awake and ponder and create. And that's just a stimulant.

LSD is a revolution in mental landscape, a whole new way to approach life. It lifts boundaries and cures diseases of thinking. Combine that with the attitude of the 60s (freedom, self-expression, self-determination) and you have one of the most liberating forces in human history.

Cultures have revolved around what drugs they did or didn't imbibe. The LSD culture was very short lived unfortunately, and has gone mostly underground now.

Until you take it you won't understand the extent to which this molecule can change your life; it's not just about getting intoxicated.

7. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

on the flipside, there can be a danger of depending on the drug.

8. Hippified_RCer

Hippified_RCer P.L.U.R.

i always wondered wat spurred the ren on. thanks for that writer :cheers2:

9. obnoxiously

obnoxiously Member

yeah, you guys are probably right. i think i over-analyze things. that's probably why i'm so bothered.
    And I came up with an answer, yesterday, for those types of questions: you can't separate a person from their influences (like coffee or acid or growing up in michigan), a person IS their influences
    and otherwise things get confusing
    :p