it's official - global warming is real

Discussion in 'The Environment' started by gib_0101, Apr 2, 2007.

1. gib_0101

gib_0101 Member

The official report on global warming was announced today. Scientists made a formal statement saying that global warming is real, it is escalating at a dangerously high rate and will make life unbearable within a few decades, and it is due to human emissions of CO2.

2. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

which scientists are these? ....there has been a lot of scientist saying its real for years now.

3. Pixieface

Pixieface Member

oh no the end is nigh panick fear run for your lives!!!!!!!!

4. sentient

sentient Senior Member

They didnt do that today, that was last month. But yeah Global warming is real of that there is no doubt only a 100% idiot would doubt it ! that is not the debate anyway. What is the debate can be summarised as "Is the pollution that we inflict on the environment contributing to, or did it cause, global warming"? Again I would say only a 100% idiot would argue that our pollution does not contribute to global warming, but I am not at all certain as to whether human pollution started global warming

5. gib_0101

gib_0101 Member

It was on the news last night. It was the 3rd annual IPCC report issued by over 2000 climate scientists based on over 1000 studies.

But this is exactly the question they're answering. There comes a point when we have to stop saying "well, it's in debate" and accept the fact that all the world's leading scientists are without doubt as to the reality of global warming and that we are the primary cause. Accept it - the facts are in! To continue to deny it at this point is to willingly choose blind ignorance, and to do that is to lead us to distaster. Those of us who choose not to deny it will be forced to defend our health and our lives and that of our children by whatever means necessary against those who continue to deny it.

6. sentient

sentient Senior Member

It doesnt say that at all, it says that human pollution increases the effects of global warming very far beyond, and quicker, than would have been the case if pollution levels were at the mean average to pre-industrial times

In other words the effects of our poloution mean that temperatures have risen significantly more and over a shorter period than if there were no pollution, and to the extent that our pollution is responsible for more severe effects on biological entities and atmospheric conditions that may or may not have arisen at this juncture in time had they not been present

They are saying that carbon emmissions are without doubt the single major cause of this and that other pollutants have added to those effects. They are not saying global warming was caused by human pollution because warming and cooling of the planet happens frequently, they are saying why it is different this time

7. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

Really?...wow thats alot of scientists....now does that include those that are studying peanut butter and how to make it creamier?

So How was this made 'Official' ...did they hold a party?..release balloons, maybe cut a ribbon?

I am just wondering ....the rest of the world has been taking it seriously for over a decade or more now and have begun cutting there co2 emissions.

There has been reports for years with thousands of scientists from around the globe, some of them noble prize winners.....why were they not official?

So what makes it official?...maybe if the US president admits that there is a problem?

It's official, global warming does exist, says Bush

June 4, 2002

http://www.guardian.co.uk/globalwarming/story/0,7369,727202,00.html

I would say its been "Official" for some time now....:rolleyes:

8. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

Oh was it fox news?....we all know that when it is reported on fox ...its "official" ;)

9. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

so your saying your the idiot that will debate whether humans started it?.....;)

10. gib_0101

gib_0101 Member

I doubt these scientist would deny it.

I'm glad you think so. It always has been official when you put it that way. But the point of this conference was to settle the matter as to whether or not there is disagreement between scientists. They are coming forward and unanymously saying "global warming is real and we are the primary cause". This officially answers the question of whether or not there is a debate.

11. purple-moss

purple-moss Member

hey i was only trying to help ...you seam to like the word "official"

but i am glad that you are happy that its "official" now[​IMG]

as for this having an impact on people changing there life styles is doubtful

12. Pixieface

Pixieface Member

It's official, global warming does exist, says Bush

ok ok people just step back and assess the situation bush said it exists humm am i the only person in the world who doesnt believe the lords prayer outta this guy!!!!HE'S A LIAR just look at Iraq and afganistan.im not saying golbal warming doesnt exist im just saying dont let fear and propoganda cloud your judgement and dont believe everything you hear on tv or the NEWS need i mention Rupert Murdock (not exactly a liberal)

13. Mr. Graey Rufur King

Mr. Graey Rufur King Member

Really, you shouldn't take anything Bush says as a confirmation. He slips up, says the wrong thing, or bullshits that he knows things. Maybe he said "Global warming is real, but not an eminent threat, like terrorism or islamist or arabs or all those middle easters!".

14. rainbowedskylover

rainbowedskylover Senior Member

i bet he did, but i guess we have to ignore him and look for ourselves what we can do for the environment