It's getting harder to steal music

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Sitka

Sitka viajera

Once again, stealing deprives somebody else of something. Copyright violation doesn't.

Copyright laws, can, but don't always encourage creative. Often they encourage extreme abuse of market power. See Microsoft, Windows, and antitrust suits.

2. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Once you start stealing and it's so easy, it's hard to stop and ask yourself, "Am I hurting an artist that I would like to encourage, just because I've gotten into the habit of never paying for music?" Then you start justifying your behavior so that you won't feel like a thief.

If you truly only steal music that you would never have paid for, well OK, I can see your point, but I think most of you are bullshitters. Why steal music you don't like?

3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Because you have to listen to it first sometimes in order to conclude you don't like it ;)

4. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

You're doing that Internet "pull a justification of the ass" in order to relieve boredom and continue to excuse (at least in your mind) your behavoir.

Well I don't fucking excuse you and your boredom induced justifications don't float.

Copyright violation/infringement devalues the financial value of someone else's work. Therefore it's stealing and if it happen to you... You would be screaming your head off. If the copyrighted work isn't good enough for you to pay for. It shouldn't be good enough for you to steal.

But oh it doesn't work like that in your mind. It's the reason why you're a hypocrite when it comes to almost slave labour and toxic working conditions in china. Because they too have something you like so "blah blah blah" the justifications fly out of your backside.

Because like so many on the Internet what's right in their mind is whatever they like or makes them feel good. And everyone and everything that says contrary is wrong and they're ready to pull any fucking pseudo excuse out of their butts to they feel protects their interests.

Oh and one other thing
    Fuck... Fuck... Fuck... Fuck... Fuck... Fuck.

5. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I think it helps them as much as any. Nobody is going to buy shit if they don't know who you are, but they might if they hear everybody playing your shit, and realize it's good.

"burn it off the fuckin' internet, and bump it outside" -- immortal technique, offering al alternative to buying his music.

6. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Maybe you got him on china, but as for the rest, you commit grave logical fallacy when you argue on the internet, and use the fact that it's on the internet, to try to devalue your opponent's argument. Where it is or how bored someone is has NOTHING to do with the validity of the argument.

"it's better to be a pirate, than join the navy" -- steve motherfuckin' jobs

"piracy" is not "theft". Get over it, you RIAA toadie.

7. sunfighter

Well, I've heard this argument before, and it probably is the best argument. You know, I just realized that radio used to serve this purpose, but radio today is so crappy. I almost never listen to music on the radio any more. So, reluctantly, I think you may be right. I'll shut up now.

8. sunfighter

True. For me, since stealing is distasteful, I find the extended previews on iTunes to be good enough.

9. I get all my music online but am not prepared to say where.

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I do as well and its free of charge :2thumbsup:

Hotwater

11. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Yeah they don't like it when I apply this attitude at the supermarket produce isle... lol

And in the end, the quality of music available for consumption will reflect just that...

12. deleted

deleted Visitor

audio out to a recording device.. you can take anything you listen to, no downloading necessary..

13. Gongshaman

Gongshaman Modus Lascivious

Yep they already charged a fee on the recording device to cover just that...
    Started in the cassette days.

14. Syd222

Syd222 Member

I use rapidlibrary.com or filestube.com and if there's no good link (i don't try them all when there are lots but all from the same hosting site) I just download them in torrent, in the best quality I can find.

15. Sitka

Sitka viajera

Meh. I know Chinese factory workers. Dated one for a few weeks once upon a time. I live in a development zone.

They aren't slaves. They aren't glamour jobs, but people don't take them because they have no choice - they take them because they're better than whatever farm they came from is.

Obviously there are some that are especially shitty (re: Foxconn). I'd say they are the exception rather than the norm. Even within the factory towns, the workers are always hopping ship from one company to another, and bosses are offering perks (free lodging, whatever) to make them stay.

We aren't abusing helpless Chinese slaves. It's a shit job, but so is McDonalds or being a barista.

16. Resistance isn't futile

Another Just-ass-fication

Today we can't walk in the woods 100ft without finding someone else's garbage. Just as it is today that we are inodated with this "techno-crap" to the point that there's probably more of this junk then there are people on the face of the earth.

What the average dummy wants is to have fun while shitting all over the place at the expense of others. And anyone that doesn't share this narrow point of view should should shut up and go someone place else.

Which might be possible if the Shitters confined their shitting to one area of the planet. But they don't and that means someone has to start cleaning up the mess and it's obvious the shitters won't take responsiblity for anything other than moving on to the next "good time" feeling.

• Fact : People work hard thinking up knew ideas, concepts, art and other things.
    • Fact : People that come up with new ideas, concepts and creations have the right to profit from their work.
    • Fact : They have the right to negotiate and do whatever they want with their property.
    • Fact : Copyright infringement stifles creativity. No one wants to create or financially back anything that's ultimate destination is gang of theives.

• Fact : Fact the gadget generation (my generation) are 90% inept, lazy, narcisstic twits that have never created anything and believe the entire world revolves around them. It's all give us movies, music, apps, gadgets and kiss our asses.
    Well I'm sorry but the world doesn't work like that. If you want someone to respect you.. Then you need to be worthy of respect and you need to earn it. It can NOT be won by "Karma" points on Reddit, "Reputation" points on Hipforums or even "Liked" on Facebook. Those sort of virtual things are nothing more than an ignorance reinfrorcing popularity contest amongst loosers.

And yes boredom does factor into this. It's what the largest underlying driving force is behind the majority of Internet users. Nothing more than a gaggle bored surfers looking to be entertained while having their asses kissed for doing nothing more than sitting on those asses. Because it's boredom that explains the mentality of the bullshit we are dealing with in our societies today.

17. Sitka

Sitka viajera

This isn't coherent, and you're an angry little boy.

18. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

I gave up before getting to the list thing in the middle, you don't seem to be talking about very much at all. I'm fully aware that the globe's going to shit, and that the two "sides", just like on any other issues, are both stupid.

Technology can be done totally responsibly. It's not because it makes money to be irresponsible. But you sure as hell won't get in a position of power to fix it, ranting like a fucking lunatic, like you.

Anyways, it's all somewhat disconnected ad hominem attacks, from what I could see. Not just on us here, but on all sorts of other people you know nothing about. You are paying no attention to how people work psychelogically, and thus you are excrabating the problem, if you have any effect at all.

Shut your virtual pie-hole, you're one of those very people who you whine about, diluting the internet with drivel.

19. Sunshine_Daydream*420*

Sunshine_Daydream*420* Member

All of my music I've either bought the CD myself or have borrowed a friends copy of the CD and copied it to my computer that way. I don't generally down load music off of the internet as I find it to be a pain in the ass. I like to own the album art work and enjoy having a physical copy of said CD.

20. Resistance isn't futile

I find that alot of today's music is canned. I dated a guy who was significantly older. He introduced me to some of the stuff that I was too closed minded to normally listen to. (I used to be caught up on the "that's for old people" mentality)

I find that there's a certain "quality" in older mediums. I like the artwork and the warm sound that goes with the analog recording.

As for CDs it's kind of hit and miss for me. I'm not going to spend money on garbage like Lady Gaga or Bieber. So I stick pretty much to indie bands. But the problem with that is the recording quality isn't always that great and the album art is either fantastic or lousy.