It's getting harder to steal music

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Pressed_Rat, Apr 6, 2013.

1. themnax

themnax Senior Member

you don't HAVE to "steal" music to get better music for free then anything you will ever hear on corporate media. you just have to forget getting hung up on what is popular. develop your own personal taste instead, learn how to make music yourself, and hang out with people who are generous with their own creations, including musical ones, with each other. that's where all of mine comes from. none of it legally owing a damd fart to the r.i.a.a.

2. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I get all my music from either iTunes or archive.org. I am not a thief.

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i just borrow them by using rapidshare search engines

if i cant find what i want then i go find a good version on youtube and borrow it there by using http://www.listentoyoutube.com/

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm not either. just not a supporter of the theft that is called copyright and privatization.

5. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

If you buy music from the major labels you are supporting the theft from your favorite artist's. The labels don't even give any of the proceeds from copyright lawsuits to the artists.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

well of course not....theyve already paid the artists for the rights in most cases

7. Duck

Duck quack. Lifetime Supporter

But they only pay the artists a minimal fraction of what they themselves make off of the albums. They screw over the artists by forcing them to try to make most of their money touring.

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

artists have the option of signing the contract ...or not signing it

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Pirating music is still very easy. Do you guys have a problem with peer to peer file sharing programs or something? I understand some lame ones are full with viruses but I never ever got a virus on soulseek. And I can find everything I want on there (musicwise).

10. sunfighter

Yes, just because something is easy doesn't make it right. Peer to peer is ethical only if the music has been given away to the fans by the musicians themselves, like for instance, the Grateful Dead soundboards.

11. sunfighter

That is total bullshit for the purpose of justifying illegal activities for your personal gain.

12. Asmodean

Pirating seems not to be right by definition. To clarify: that is not the issue I was reacting to. I was merely replying to the OP. I don't see it getting harder because I rarely look outside soulseek for downloading music. And I rarely do so because it still works so well. I'm mainly downloading obscure and old stuff by the way but yeah I won't hesitate to download stuff that people have just released. If it's good I support the artist sooner or later.

13. Sitka

Sitka viajera

Do they?

Recording companies had a natural monopoly for a long time because of the high-price of recording equipment. That natural monopoly no longer exists.... and profits are disappearing.

Keeping oligopolistic profit schemes and corporate behavior doesn't benefit society or consumers.

14. Resistance isn't futile

Resistance isn't futile Member

If you don't like the way they do business then by all means don't fucking buy their shit. But you shouldn't just fucking steal it either. (2 wrongs don't make a right. )

I hear (and read) more people bitching about the big oliopostic proft corporate music industry but they keep their fucking mouths shut tight when it comes to Iphones and other gadgets built by almost slave labour conditions in China.

15. The Imaginary Being

The Imaginary Being PAIN IN ASS Lifetime Supporter

ungrow your ears and then you wont be able to hear anything anyways.

pretty simple stuff when thinking about it.

16. Asmodean

My issue with Iphones and other gadgets is that they contain polluting elements which people are eager to throw away when the next gadget is available. But perhaps that's better discussed in a thread of it's own.

17. Sitka

Sitka viajera

I don't.

Theft implies I am somehow depriving somebody of something. I'm not.
    You're trying to say I shouldn't violate copyright laws (which are national laws and don't apply to my country of residence).

It was an oligopoly - even more than that, it was a specific type. It isn't some buzzword. And monopolistic situations have well-defined patterns of behavior that don't benefit society.

Mild swearing and even milder intellect isn't intimidating.

"Slave labour" is a misnomer. They sign contracts and are free to quit.

18. sunfighter

So what? Still doesn't justify stealing. Stealing obviously deprives the artist of income and has the long-term effect of discouraging creativity.

19. RooRshack

RooRshack On Sabbatical

Stealing might take some income from the artist. Not in most situations. Especially in a situation where you would not buy the music otherwise, for one of a variety of reasons.

As to music piracy discouraging creativity, we can think for a few seconds and call bull on that one.... If justin bieber is worried about how many people stole "baby", maybe he won't make more music, oh noes.... except that even he, enjoys it, because PIRACY MAKES HIM MORE POPULAR, and thus MORE MONEY.

20. sunfighter

I agree that it doesn't hurt the big stars much, but it can be devastating to struggling artists who deserve to make a living.