its about time....350 million in aid

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by mariecstasy, Dec 31, 2004.

1. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

2. HippyCor$ter

HippyCor$ter Ackamonkey

I think the U.S. should give me 1 million in aid.

3. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

I still think the 350 is nearly useless. Between Bill Gates, Microsoft and Amazon.com alone, 9.5 million has been donated. Come on you shitty government, give us at least one thing to praise you for.

...actually there will be no praise from me. It should not take the motivation of other countries to up our donation.

4. HippyCor$ter

HippyCor$ter Ackamonkey

WTF How much would you want the goverment to fucking GIVE AWAY. If you want the goverment to give more away write bush to rase taxes. Then we can give more money away and bitch more about taxes. A win win situation.

5. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

yeah its sickening that we had no response to the tragedy for 4 days but our towers get blown up and we want the whole worlds sympathy...what hypocrits....its so hard to be apart of a land whos government functions this way...*sticks out lip*

but still 350 million is way better than the 35 mill....
    hopefully we will continue to redeem ourselves and we will do more and more ....

6. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

do you know they are spending 40 million on his inaugeration? we waste money dude but when it is needed, we hold it back....think about it.

7. KozmicBlue

KozmicBlue Senior Member

8. hiro

hiro pursue it

Disgusting. also read what abcnews.com had to say about other countries.

"Several European countries far outdistanced the United States in pledges. They include Britain, $95 million; Sweden, $75.5 million; Spain, $68 million and France, $57 million.

And the World Bank announced it would make $250 million available as an initial contribution for emergency reconstruction. The amount is for the next six months.

With the global death toll continuing to rise, European governments discussed holding an international donors conference Jan. 7."

I don't have much money right now but I am donating $20 dollars to the red cross foundation.

9. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

actully they have been increasing it as the death toll goes up ....in the begining it would have seam bad to tax payers if they promised 100 million for 10-20,ooo dead......as time goes on more money will be given

10. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

i dont have money either but i put 100 on a credit card.i didnt do the red cross cause not all the funds go to the victims...i went through an organization that i know does 100 percent...i went through the church i grew up with....i dont go anymore or have any idea where i sit on the whole religion or religion period, but the lds church is very very honest in their dealings and i know all the money goes where its designated

11. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

but the money is for rebuilding and for the survivors....so as the death toll rises the survival rate decreases therefore needed less aid and not more

12. hiro

hiro pursue it

Do you have the number I can call?

13. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

14. hiro

hiro pursue it

Okay thanks.

15. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

what i meant was when it was first reported they said under 9,000 dead .....so the US says it will donate 15 million ...then as time goes on the full extent of the damage is report and the death toll goes up .....so then congress approves more aide for the region.....you can not expect a huge aide package at first until they know how much damage was done.

another sad fact is ...just because countries say they will donate a certain amount money like china or spain or all the others.....does not mean they will....promises are given out all the time ....and are very rarely kept.

16. mariecstasy

mariecstasy Enchanted

true....but thats a fact of life huh?

17. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

yes, we woulda done it without the criticism and competition. we're not bastards, despite ravings to the contrary.

18. bedlam

bedlam Senior Member

This bickering about not enough vs too much aid is disheartening. Whatever we can give will barely be enough to cover the tragedy.

19. ImmortalDissident

ImmortalDissident Senior Member

You know... if we hadn't spent $90 billion on this bullshit war, we'd have a hell of a lot more money to "give away". I'm sorry, but the fact of the matter is if the US wants to call themselves global leaders, they need to step up to the plate and act as such. The US govt. was pouting about no one helping us when we had hurricanes, but we had the resources to deal with it. This is multiple countries and probably at least twice as many people are dead than what is reported currently.

... and waiting until they heard how much damage there was to send money? That, I'm sure, is true... however, it's ridiculous. All you need to hear is that there was the 9.0 earthquake and a 30+ foot tsunami and it should be pretty clear that it didn't just wipe out a few beach resorts. ...and what do you think about Bush sending Jeb there? Worst president ever!

Another thing I just thought of as I was typing this... do you think that people would be so opposed to raising taxes if they were being spent properly? I certainly didn't vote to lower taxes. Two things need to happen in this country... we need a responsible president who can make a reasonable budget, and people need to realize that you have to give, to get.

Sorry for the rant, but I think this whole disaster is being dealt with in the wrong manner, and I think the news coverage of it is way too fluffy.

Peace

20. whispers

whispers sweet and sour

it only to boosts Jeb's image..................so when he runs for president...he can say he was there helping those poor people.