ISO: Apple Recipes

Discussion in 'Food Allergies' started by homeschoolmama, Aug 27, 2007.

1. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

For the first time in about 6 years we beat the neighbors to harvesting my Mom's apple tree. (big huge rant... they're consummate thieves) Mom's yard is chemical-free, so today I'm going over to help her prepare roughly 4 bushels of haralson (tart & crisp) apples. We split the perfect ones up so I've got about 20 here for eating, and will be bringing home about half of the processed ones as well. We're going to slice most of them up for freezing, and pureeing a bunch along with some of the crabapples (for color & extra tart-ness) from Mom's yard for making fruit leathers & applesauce.

So... by the end of today I'm going to have roughly 75# of tart, crisp apples between my fridge & freezer. I'm working on creating an edible GF apple crisp recipe, and I know I want to save a bunch pf the sliced ones for dipping in caramel sauce. Does anyone have any favorite apple recipes? My deep-freeze is gonna be about half full and I haven't experimented much with allergen-free apple recipes yet. I'm especially looking for meat/egg/dairy/gluten free recipes please :)
    love,
    mom

2. MattInVegas

MattInVegas John Denver Mega-Fan

Well, if you hvae no problem with canned apple pie filling, here's a simple but fast favorite I use every week for my wife.

Filling:
    1 can any flavor pie filling. (16 oz.)

Crumble crust
    1 cup quick cooking rolled oats
    3/4 cup all purpose flour
    3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup low fat butter or substitute
    For apple, i suggest 1 tbsp cinnamon in the dry ingedients. (Assuming you mix dry stuff first, then add wet.

Mix dry stuff together so it mixes better. Then using a fork, press in the 1/2 cup butter. This makesthe topping while it bakes.

Now. in a 9X9 pan, empty the filling and maybe add raisins or even 'craisins'. top evenly with the topping and bake at 11 minutes then turn 180 degrees so it cooks even and bake another 11 minutes.Let cool and serve with ice cream.
    takes maybe 45 miutes total.

3. homeschoolmama

homeschoolmama Senior Member

Uh, thanks? I'm not sure you even read my OP...

4. Olympic-Bullshitter

Olympic-Bullshitter Banned

Apple Crisp (a sweet dessert) topping dry ingredients: 1 3/4 c old fashioned rolled oats, 1/4 c oat flour, 3/4 c brown sugar, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger. Wet ingredients: 1/3 c canola oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract. Apple ingredients: 6 c sliced, peeled apples, 1 c sugar, 1 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp salt. Thickening ingredients: 5 tsp arrowroot flour, 1 Tabsp cold water. Start by making the Crisp Topping: Mix dry ingredients, mix wet ingredients, pour wet into dry,and mix. Oil a 9"x9" cake pan.Preheat oven to 400 F. Put "apple ingredients" in a pan. Heat on medium/low, gently stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture (except for the fruit) has become smooth (about 2 minutes). Although it will be dry initially, it will get wet as it heats. Mix the arrowroot with the water and stir until smooth. Pour into the pan, and stir. Cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequenntly. Use a slotted spoon to scoop the fruit out of the pan into the oiled baking dish, leaving most of the sauce behind.(Do Not discard.) Spread the fruit evenly. Drizzle 1 Tbsp of the sauce over it. Spread Crisp Topping over the mixture. Drizzle 1/4 c of the sauce over the topping.Bake for 20 minutes. Serve warm. Try with Rice Milk Ice Cream.