Isn't Veganism a first world privledge?

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by PlacidDingo, Oct 9, 2012.

1. PlacidDingo

PlacidDingo Member

It's just people in first world who have the luxury of choosing a vegan lifestyle. People in poor areas can't affor the choice they have to do what it takes to survive.

2. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

That Dingo is complete bullshit no offense.Meat is the most expensive foodstuff on the planet...I agree if a population only has access to meat they have to eat that...But we live in a largely globalized economy now and vegetarianism and veganism is very viable and good way to live.

1 person likes this.
  3. PlacidDingo

PlacidDingo Member

I'm not talking about shop purchased stuff.

If I live in a dodgy little hut, I would own breed and eat chickens, eggs, milk my cow etc as well as tending a garden. I would do that because the alternative is to risk starvation.

The first world has the privilege of making a choice.

4. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

I already agreed with you on that point if you read my reply....Sure if you are a subsistence farmer you eat what you can get...But we live in an increasingly globalized economy now and these people are few and far between.

5. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

If your not talking about shop bought stuff then how can you possibly compare a poor farmer living in a hut who grows and rears his own food to an American or english person? A massive massive majority of people in the 'first world' rely on everyone else (as in the supermarket) to get their food source, and the choice is extreme too.

I'm vegan and don't find it a privilege at all.

6. PlacidDingo

PlacidDingo Member

My point IS that adopting Veganism as a lifestyle is a first world privilege. So is it bullshit or are you agreeing with me? Right now you're claiming both.

7. Fairlight

Fairlight Banned

Okay it's a somewhat grey area okay?Do we have to be absolutist about it?But come on admit it...What's to stop someone in poverty stricken India living on a diet consisting purely of vegetables?(As many do.) In fact in many third World countries it is meat that is a rarity and the majority live on cereals and grains.(It they are lucky enough to get that.)

8. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

Why would you ask a point and just not listen to everyone else's points?

A farmer might have better luck growing crops. You never know. It depends on location, mostly, for this.

9. MamaPeace

MamaPeace Senior Member

If veganism is a privilege then what isn't a privilege?

10. TheGhost

TheGhost Auuhhhhmm ...

It is the choices and options we are given that are the privilege not the veganism in itself.

Many people can't exactly choose what to eat. They'll have to take what they can get.

11. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

Yup. Also it's pretty privileged to be able to go to a fast food place or Walmart and just buy meat whenever you want. More so than veganism ever will be.

12. PlacidDingo

PlacidDingo Member

I think this is the right motorcycle.

When you're forced to take what you can get, you don't have the privledge of making a high and mighty moral consumer choice.

13. Thekarthika

Thekarthika Member

Then again some people would rather starve than consume another being or that being's parts.
    Food for thought.
    (Pun intended)

14. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels Member

Definitely not. As Fairlight stated, meats and fish will generally be more expensive than plants. Even when the farmer provides for himself, plants are cheaper to produce.

If anything, people in poor places are forced to be vegetarian/vegan since they can't afford meats most of the time. That's why the staple foods in many poor countries tend to be plants like corn or beans and rice. I lived in Costa Rica for 4 years, and I've seen that the people eating beans and rice every day are the poor locals, while the American/Canadian expats are the ones eating the imported beef.

15. Burnt

Burnt Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

There are places where drought is a common place and raising chickens and other poultry that feed on insects is a food staple, plus there is livestock that feed on scrub bushes used as food.
    But in these drought conditions edible plants may not grow.

16. inthydreams911

inthydreams911 Senior Member

My brother was a vegatarian for like 8 years, and was very dedicated to it. He went to egypt for a few months and came home a meat eater. He said he couldn't choose, so he did what he had to do.

17. wiccan_witch

wiccan_witch Senior Member

He hasn't done any research before posting...unfortunately.

18. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I work with some and we all make the same amount of money, and they choose to still eat that stuff. They surely are used to it but the bottom line is they must be eating it because they like it. They can easily have anything that our well stocked grocery stores sell.

19. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This is the scenario that first came to my mind when I read the OP.

20. PlacidDingo

PlacidDingo Member

People in the third world can easily have anything in your well stocked grocery stores?