Islam, Natural Selection, & the Origin of Life

Discussion in 'Islam' started by Ozy, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Ozy

Ozy Member

The concept of evolution is entirely compatible with islam - the main distinction is that it Islam's belief that God guided the process. Even w/ evolution, there was always a special, distinct line for humans.

The Quran says:

Blessed is He in Whose hand is the kingdom, and He has power over all things;

It is He Who has created death and life that He might try you—which of you is best in deeds; and He is the Mighty, the Most Forgiving,

The Same Who has created seven heavens in stages . No incongruity can you see in the creation of the Gracious God. Then look again: Do you see any flaw?

Aye, look again, and yet again, your sight will
    only return to you tired and fatigued. (67:2-5)
    further, the Quran makes it very clear that all life evolved from water:

http://islam.about.com/od/creation/a/creation_2.htm

this is exactly what modern science tells us about the origin of life: that it started from water:
    http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/309/5731/89

and then from that water, life evolved from the material of the earth (Clay):

"He created man from dry ringing clay like pieces of pottery." (55:15)

Interesting use of words there. Dry ringing suggests layers, it suggests a process, Evolution.

And, surely, We created man from dry ringing clay made from stagnant blackish mud." (15:27)

Quickly, this is one possible hypothesis for the origin of life:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_life#Clay_theory_of_the_origin_of_life

interesting:
    http://alislam.org/library/books/revelation/part_5_section_4.html

The Quran is the only religious book that explicitly supports the theory of evolution.

Salaam, and good day.

:)

2. Assalamu Aleikom

I don't know if it straight-out says that, as such.
    But, I do believe that evolution is entirely compatible
    with Islam as a religion.
    Muslims have always embraced science.
    As near I can tell, there are few religions
    which science is NOT compatible with.
    -And a religion incompatible with scrutiny isn't worth much, I would think.

I'm going to go try to find the ruling on evolution 'theory,'
    I may have it handy in a book.

~~~~~~~~~~
    Thought it might be in Reliance of the Traveller, but it's not.
    These two are, though:

a5.2 "As for learning which is not Sacred Knowledge but is required to sustain wordly existence, such as medicine and mathematics, it too is a communal obligation (ibid., 1.26)."

And, possibly on the other side of the argument,

a7.2 "Unlawful knowledge includes:...

...(5) the sciences of the materialists (dis: w11);
    (6) and anything that is a means to create doubts (n: in eternal truths). Such things vary in their degree of unlawfulness."

[For clarification Purposes:
    w11.1 "(N:) The unlawfulness of the "sciences of the materialists" refers to the conviction of materialists that things in themselves or by their own nature have a causal influence independent of the will of Allah [subhanahu wa t'ala]. To believe this is unbelief (dis: o8.7(17)) that puts one beyond the pale of Islam. Muslims working in the sciences must remember that they are dealing with figurative causes (asab majaziyya), not real ones, for Allah [subhanahu wa t'ala] alone is the real cause."]

I don't see that doubts are created about the validity of the religion by suggesting the evolution "theory." It is my personal believe that it was, for lack of a better way to express it quickly, "guided by Allah (subhanahu wa t'ala)".

3. Ozy

Ozy Member

actually this is a much better way to describe it: saying that it is compatible with evolution. i shouldnt have used the word explicity in my original post, thanks.

i've never seen or heard this before.

you'll learn from me soon enough that i dont take much stock in the words of mullahs. I try to follow what the koran says, and then follow up w/ the hadith & sunnah.

the koran espouses us to look at it, analyze it, and make sure that everything makes sense to us.

i've done that - gone through it to make sure that at the very least, it's scientifically sound. it is - and that's utterly amazing to me. that a book this old is compatible w/ modern science.

"[It is God] who has created the multiple skies, one separate from the other (as layers). You cannot see any flaw in the Merciful (God's) creation. Look again, can you make out any rifts?"(Koran 67:3)

"Those who remember Allah standing, sitting and lying on their sides, and reflect on the creation of the heavens and the earth: "Our Lord, You have not created this for nothing. Glory be to You! So safeguard us from the punishment of the Fire." [3:191].

"He Who created the seven heavens one above another: No inconsistency will you see in the Creation of (Allah) Most Gracious. So turn your vision again: do you see any flaw?" [67:3].

Anas Ibn Malik that the Prophet, sallallahu alayhe wa sallam, said: "Seeking of knowledge is incumbent upon every Muslim." (Ibn Majah and Tirmithi).

From all of these it seems pretty clear that we are supposed to analyze and discuss these. And there's nothing to fear from any of it, b/c it is all very logical and consistent w/ modern science.

analyzing and rationalizing should be something that strengthens faith, not challenges it.

but 1st, muslims have to read and understand what the quran says.

salaam

:)