Is this why people like The Sopranos?

Discussion in 'TV Dramas' started by Thinking of Cora, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Thinking of Cora

Thinking of Cora Members

I do not get this argument that we're all terrible people who secretly root for the villain! Is that what the success of the show was based on? When you watch a TV shows that you get into, you always imagine yourself in the shoes of one of the actors. Is that fair to say?

So when you watch the Sopranos and you see some waiter get killed on the street and they just laugh and run off, what are you supposed to think? Who in that scene do you identify with? As unlikely as it may be to happen, there's a far higher chance that I might get killed by some randomer on a street for no reason, than there is of me doing the same to someone else. Therefore, I identify with the person on the ground getting murdered. So do I enjoy watching that? No, I do not!

I'm not saying that this sort of stuff doesn't happen; so I guess the fans of the show could say "oh but it's real, life isn't always fair". I know, but what else can I give the directors credit for apart from the fact they went for the 'shock factor'? Certain things will get anyone's attention; i.e, the fact that a murder is portrayed as a "no biggie". But you have to ask yourself why it is somebody would want to sit down and watch somebody who they'd hate in real life commit reprehensible acts and get away with it, and all while considering it to be a way to relax. I think the answer is because they wouldn't hate them in real life. They'd probably admire them. That's what you'd have to wonder about a lot of these Soprano fans.

The other reason I've heard people say this show is so good is because you get to see how murderers are real people too, with they're own insecurities, and that they're not too unlike ourselves. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find it interesting that there could be more that meets the eye with a murderer, other than the fact he's a murderer! Of course there's going to be more to them... like the fact that one of the characters had a model train set. When you consider all of the interests an individual could have, I am not really amazed that a murderer could have a model train set! I mean do people really think that all killers are like Anthony Hopkins' portrayal as Hannibal Lecter?

I think a lot of the female viewers who enjoy the Sapranos probably have have their own bad boy complexes. That's why they keep trying to see the good in Tony, even though they know what he really is. So then when the character does something terrible just after they began to think he might actually be good, they get to have their emotional roller coaster ride.

I don't know much about the show, but I do remember one episode where that Christopher character was in a play and in the end he beat the other guy up. Again, I saw it coming a mile away. So predictable. So I mightn't know much about the show, but it's because of scenes like this that stopped me from watching any further. Fair enough, it has to be somewhat good if so many people like it, but just like with 'Game of Thrones', the fact that most of the people who watched it didn't seem to have much of a mind of their own!

2. princess peedge

princess peedge Members

The violence and misogyny is tough to stomach, but all the psychological stuff on the show was quite interesting. A lot of the dream sequences were amazingly done. Just a really well-written show overall if you can get past the violence. That said, a lot of the violence was done in a comedic and almost cartoonish way, thus softening the blow