Is This True?

Discussion in 'Amsterdam' started by Angel_Headed_Hipster, May 23, 2004.

1. Angel_Headed_Hipster

Angel_Headed_Hipster Senior Member

I heard recently that The Amsterdam Government made a decision to illegalize the sale of pot from coffee shops to american citizens, is that true?

Peace and Love,
    Dan

2. velvet

velvet Banned

Not that I know of.... and seems like something that's hard to enforce, 'cause that would mean that Dutch police would have to make a difference between americans and other people.. so.. I'll keep an eye/ear open, but I don't think this is true :)

3. marko

marko Member

There is a lot of talk at the moment that Dutch want to move towards the rest of Europe on current MJ laws - not just stopping the sale to Americans.

Over the past few years under a new mayor (Patijn (sp?)) Amsterdam has cleaned up its image big time after years of residents complaining about drug and prostitution 'tourism'. It was usual on a Friday and Saturday night to encounter problems with groups fighting on the streets and the residents were getting pretty hacked off about it. There are now no new licences issued for coffeeshops these days and those that already trade are under stricter enforcement for stash limits and under age customers.

So, yes there has been a move towards stricter control of the sale of MJ and even talk of stopping the sale of it altogether. The general consensus seems to be that all it will amount to is just talk as in reality the Dutch have far to many tourist Euro to lose if that scenario ever came to pass.

4. velvet

velvet Banned

Well.. although the above isn't untrue.. it's not completely true either. Although the Dutch government has been speaking on restricting weedsale, the local Amsterdam political parties have been talking about legalizing everything about weed, so not only the salespoint (coffeeshops, which have a legal permit at the moment) but also the growing of the plant itself (which is still illegal, though it is legal to have a few plants at home for your own use).

So.. there is some movement, but I honestly think that it'll never come as far as illegalize the whole chabang.. not only because it is good for tourism & economy (since the selling is legal, you pay taxes over it) but also because the goverment has a grip on it, as long as it's legal. If they make it illegal, they'll loose control, the quality will get doubtfull.. you'll get more crime basically.

So.. look on the bright side! We're not bending over for other European countries.. let's just hope they learn from us! ;)

5. marko

marko Member

You are so right Velvet,
    There are many who could learn from the tolerant attitude of the Dutch. Your government has taken a bold, but ultimately sensible veiw on cannabis. People will always smoke weed so far better to have some contol on the whole thing and take the money away from the black market.

6. shrimpgirl

shrimpgirl Member

how strict are they about under aged customers?

7. velvet

velvet Banned

Pretty strict and to be honest, I hope they are. The problem is, that when the police catches underaged people in a coffeeshop, the shop has to face consequenses (closing down for instance).. so I would think it's pretty selfish if you risk spoiling the pleasure of others just for your own satisfaction.

However, this isn't a reason not to smoke. Just let someone else buy it in a coffeeshop for you and smoke it in a park or indoors (somewhere private). Unless you look like a kid or act really stupid, you shouldn't have any problems with the law. If all else fails.. play the 'I'm a tourist and I know nothing' -act of innocence ;)

Enjoy!

8. shrimpgirl

shrimpgirl Member

hehe "I AM a tourist" ;)

my boyfriend will be 18 and i'm 17 (almost 18) so i suppose he could buy it for me... i have pretty good quality fake ID though (and i look a little older than i am) so maybe we could experience one or two coffeshops...

thanx for the advice
    -shrimpgirl

9. Chef Jeff

Chef Jeff Member

That hardly ever works

10. jimmyjoe1

jimmyjoe1 toker Lifetime Supporter

No way if have the money ,nobody will give a rats ass where you come from .just have the cash:) [​IMG]PEACE.

11. travelling high

travelling high Member

This is absolutely untrue.They sell to everybody of age!

12. travelling high

travelling high Member

Don't even attempt to go into a coffeeshop underage!!If a cop walks in and you happen to be sitting there and get asked for I.D and it is found out you are under age the coffeeshop will lose it's license and be forced to shut down.Have your boyfriend if he is of age go in and buy it and you can go smoke it elsewhere!