Is this MY country? God, I hope not...

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by firebird, May 19, 2004.

1. firebird

firebird Member

I can't even think, I am so disturbed. It's bad when you can't respect your own country. Does anyone else feel the same and wat to chat about it? It's not a pity party, and I am beyond rage. I'm just horrified.

2. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Anyone with any moral consistency is outraged and not simply with the illegal warmongering but as well with the abuses of office from the Presidency right through to his cabinet and ancillary institutions overseen by Bush appointees.

Its a cabal of liars and elite corporate cronies who have been allowed to hijack the system, perpetrate the highest crimes against the nation (counting on the myth of the "good American government" to dissuade widespread public demand for full investigations and to justify a perpetual war against the increasingly inflated "terrorist" threat), and proclaim nearly every political decision a matter of "national security" so as to avoid accountability to the people.

We have become a nation of blind, gullible right wing militants with so little comprehension of the repeated repercussions of imperialistic militancy throughout history as to appear an utterly ignorant, brutal and myopic nation to the rest of the world.

But I hold out no hope that the Bushbots will ever educate themselves sufficiently to see the gross error of their ways, hell most of these rampant ideologues think Fox News is a viable news source despite the fact that Fox went to court in Florida a year or two back and won the right "to misinform the public".

Our founding fathers with their liberal vision for our nation are undoubtedly turning in their graves over the systematic domination of our nation by the very mindset they sought to leave behind in Europe of that time.

I truly despair!

3. firebird

firebird Member

Thank you for replying. As, miserable as it is, I'm glad I'm not alone.

4. Sera Michele

Sera Michele Senior Member

I agree Firebird. But I am spreading the word. I make sure the people I know are very well aware of my opinion on our administration and this war. Most people I can get to agree with me. What I have learned is that people are not well informed. They just know what they saw on the news last night between commercials.

5. osiris

osiris Senior Member

well, lickherish, you bring up the founding fathers... what do we really know about them, and the true depth of their vision? We know what the history books tell us, which only serve to further propagate the romanticized idea of the land of the free, home of the brave. but most of them were free-masons. members of a secret society in other words, one that came under a lot of fire and scrutiny by the common people at the time... i mean, how much of what history relates to us about anything can we believe? i have a sneaking suspicion that it has culminated to the point to which it has come because of flaws purposely inherent in the foundation fo the design of our government. flaws meant to utilized, exploited. i may sound like a nutty conspiracy theorist, but i am just not convinced of the humanitarian nature of the founding fathers. it didn't seem that they were any more concerned with the welfare of the natives of this country, or with the slaves that some of them owned, than bush is really concerned with freedom and democracy.

just a thought. maybe an insignificant quibble.... maybe...

much love :)

6. DharmaBum

DharmaBum Old Guard

I Know the Founding Father's or America Grew Their own Hemp ,and smoked it in peace without getting Put in Jail ,that should tell you something!

7. Megara

Megara Banned

they also smoked pipes and cigars without the whole population shunning them and segregating them.

8. Mui

Mui Senior Member

yea ive been horrified at my government for a while... now its just freaking crazy... im ashamed to live in america... hopefuly, i can move out soon..

so much h ypocricy... so much religious zealotry from both sides.... i dont want any blame in this bloodshed... this fude between governments... all of us on this forum never even talked to an iraqi before... yet we feel its necessary to go into their country and murder them...

Fuck this country, fuck the soldiers, fuck everyone.

9. dreamweaver

dreamweaver Member

Lets not fuck the soldiers. Most are only idealistic kids that joined the military because they thought they could make a difference..i can guarantee you a good percentage of soldiers in Iraq do not want to be there.

10. BlackVelvet

BlackVelvet Members

you are definately not alone, I feel ya..I'm not happy with our country anymore either, I'm sick to death of everything that is happening [​IMG]

11. sweatininthesouth

sweatininthesouth Member

LickHerish, are you American, living in Brussels.....or Belgian, or what....

Just curious cuz it says you live in Brussels....

12. LickHERish

LickHERish Senior Member

Yes I am an American living in Brussels. I came over to Europe just after college and got my professional start back in 1990 working for the European Parliament. 4 years later I went independent and have continued to act as a foreign policy consultant since then.

One thing I can say is that being able to see Washington's claims vs. reality from both outside and inside (when back in the US for business or family visits) has disabused me of much of the misinformation i (like all good Americans) are subjected to daily by mainstream media. I can assure you that much is kept from the domestic viewing audience which might otherwise motivate them to demand full accountability by our elected leaders.

13. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

well, i'm not ashamed of my country, because the usa is not only the sum of our actions against other coutries. there's a lot of stupid, misguided garbage going on out there, but we're not the first fuck-ups, and we won't be the last. i think our country has thus far evolved to a spoiled teenager, and we'll weather this and learn from it. there's still a lot of good people here, a lot of good things here, and i don't despair over the state of it, because it seems to me every government goes through it's phase of trickery and total control before it's people get really pissed off and change it. it'll happen again and again, but the world will go on turning. and still the ordinary people will be just trying to go about their lives and get food on the table, sharing what they have with their neighbors, and barbequeing on the weekends if they can.

14. Nick

Nick Member

Let me know what country you would all like to relocate to and I'll buy you a first class ticket.

Nick

PS: I hear Bangladesh is nice this time of year

15. firebird

firebird Member

Oy Vey, I agree. I am ashamed to be American. Though, call me crazy, but does it make ssense to say that I wish weren't ashamed? :confused:

16. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

honestly, firebird, i think it's a mistake to be ashamed of your country, since our sountry isn't just one mind moving in agreement. you can be angry with certain institutions or people, but it's somewhat bigotted (forgive the word) to be ashamed of the whole country. it's like saying that since the taliban ruined afghanistan, all afghanies are worthless and evil and should be ashamed of their country, including the women.

17. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

I don't think there is a reason to be ashamed of the country, considering what we do as individuals did not cause current events. It's easy to get down on it, and to have it affect your mind and daily interactions etc., but that's letting something out of your control contribute to your mood.

I'm not ahsmaed of My America, I guess. I feel alienated here sometimes, but that can happen anywhere.

18. gardener

gardener Realistic Humanist

I put this piece together shortly after the war in Iraq started. I couldn't believe that there was such support for a prememptive war:

http://www.tco.net/~phacker/stand.html

I looked into the backgrounds of the cabinet and found that many that were advising the president (and he probably didn't need to have his arm twisted), that were past executives of oil firms. Condi Rice had an oil tanker named after her...name was changed in 2001. Isn't that convenient.

Most of the Americans bought into the stories and pictures that this was to right old wrongs....yeaah, I'll buy into that when you can't afford to fill your gas tanks guys, and have to walk to work. These guys have made a bundle and continue to make money.

Chalabi had been convicted of financial/economic crimes before we flew him into Iraq at the beginning of the war as our guy in Iraq. Now Bush wants to distance himself. Give me a break.