Is this considered cruelty?

Discussion in 'Opiates' started by IllCanabillyVanilly, Jan 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Burnt

Burnt Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

The way I see it is medication or not, or anything that may be withheld. If drugs or possessions are more important than family, than do what you believe is right whether it causes harm or not. To me it sounds like there is another reason other than ignorance of the pain this young man feels. It appears she may be worried that abuse may occur. It is a parents job to protect their child and just maybe she believes she is protecting him. But to burn bridges and harm the family relationship over a petty issue as this seems absolutely absurd to me.

2. Feelings Of U4ia

Feelings Of U4ia Senior Member

He is 21.

I am sorry, but it's absolutely absurd for a parent to still be deciding when and what someone can take at that age. Sure, it's their job to protect their child, but at 21 you need to be able to make your own decisions.

3. bekyboo52

bekyboo52 52~unknown~52

i think that calling the police is the most logical thing to do.. but then again that is a bit extreme especially if you are close...... maybe you could get an officer to talk to her about it without them arresting her or something?

4. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

I am actually studying pharmacy, I work at CVS. We have a lot of people that we know are addicts, and we communicate with the other pharmacies in the area when we think an addict is trying to get a refill early or fraudulently. So, I kind of understand what your mother is thinking. She loves you and she doesn't want to see you become like these people. That being said, the doctor prescribed them because you are in pain. What were the instructions. You should follow the doctors instructions. But Hydrocodone wears off in several hours, if I remember correctly (Like I said, I'm a student, we haven't gotten to Vicodin yet.) So, call your doctor, and have him/her call your mom and explain what you are going through.

Good luck

5. Burnt

I am not sure you are understanding this, I believe she is protective, a natural response for a mother. If he does not agree with the type of care that she gives, he can leave. But apparently he has chosen not to so he has to deal with it. But arrest this is a family issue not a police issue.

6. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

Wow, um, U4ia, that WAS a little harsh. You keep going on and on about him whining to Mommy, chill man. A brother's in pain. And all you people suggesting that he call the cops need to hang back too. He needs to have the doctor or the pharmacist call his mother and explain the situation. Having his mother arrested; y'all are on crack.

7. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

sometimes the truth is harsh, man.

i'd call the cops on anyone who was fucking with my shit like that, especially if i was in pain.

8. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

Thank you, burnt. That was another thing that I wanted to say. If our man has his mother arrested, then she can have him evicted. True. She would need to give him 30 days? I don't know this as fact, but it sounds reasonable. But that hardly sounds like an acceptable situation. Maybe our man likes living at home for saving money. Nothing wrong with that, so we need to find a situation that is not going to lead to him getting evicted.

9. Feelings Of U4ia

It's 5mg of Hydrocodone. You guys are acting as if the doctor gave him and out of control, illogical prescription like Oxycontin 80mg.

Like I said, would it be any different if we went into our mother's medicine cabinet, and found some benzo's or pain medication, and took them from her, to "protect" her? As a son, you have a want and need to protect your mother, just as she does you.

Like I said, I am not trying to be harsh, but at 21 years old, you shouldn't have to worry about your own prescription being confiscated.

Sorry if people think that is wrong. And like I said, it's 5mg of Hydrocodone, give me a break.

This kid posts new threads everyday about getting high on every non-recreational and recreational substance known to man...5mg Hydrocodone should be the LAST thing she is worried about.

10. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

True, man, true, the truth is harsh. But I would call the doctor first. Resolve the conflict amicably. Let the doctor or the pharmacist explain what is up. It is probably a simple case of his mother not understanding what is going on. Calling the cops is a last resort.

11. seizedbyanger

seizedbyanger Banned

well yeah i thought that was implied :rolleyes:

12. Feelings Of U4ia

What do you think the dentist is going to tell a 21 year old man that calls him stating his mother stole his medications that he wrote?

21 is an adult, the dentist isn't going to ask to speak with the mother to explain...he is going to tell him to call the authorities. Unless it's a family dentist, I can't see him doing anything else. If the kid was 14, it would be a different situation, but his patient is 21, he doesn't have time to be calming down mothers of grown adult men, and justifying the medications he is giving. It's common practice to give pain medication to patients after such a procedure.

The harsh reality, is that she isn't going to budge. Did you hear the reasoning behind her taking the medication? "The tooth is already out, you shouldn't have anymore pain, you don't need these anymore."

Does that really sound like someone who is willing to listen to reason? The harsh reality is, if he wants to be able to get his medications and not have to worry about them, he is going to have to move out.

My real question is, why does she even know what medications he has at 21 years of age? It just really makes me think he isn't 21, no offense. If your mother already suspects you are abusing drugs (which obviously she does, if she took them from you) why would you walk in the door and tell her that you even got a medication prescribed to you? Based on the posts you make, you do drugs recreationally, so obviously you hide those from her, why not these, especially at 21 years of age when she doesn't need to know?

It was implied, but it quickly was discovered that either he doesn't get his meds, or he alerts someone to get them back. She obviously isn't willing to reason, or he would have already been able to reason with her while he was writhing in pain begging for his pain medication. She didn't care then, what would change that.

13. Fawkes

Fawkes Member

I agree that mom shouldn't take away his meds. If he were 14, maybe, but not 21. And yes, we all need to be protective of each other. And no, I have never read anything on this page of the forums, I just stumbled across this thread under the "new posts" link. So, I have never read any of his daily posts. Hmmm, 5 mg of Hydro is a small dose. Maybe she knows about his other usages and is simply worried about him getting hooked on Hydro. Doesn't mean she can take it away, though. But it is her house. Her rules. Don't call the cops, call the doctor or the pharmacist.

I am glad, I didn't even need pharmaceuticals when I had my wisdom teeth out. No pain.

14. Feelings Of U4ia

It was a dentist. Like I said, what on earth is a dentist or pharmacist going to do for a 21 year old who claims his mother is keeping his medication from him? Explain to her that he needs them? She should know that already, he just had work done!

15. Burnt

I believe he is 21, Him telling his mother of something such as prescribed medication is called a little thing as trust. There is another scenario such as he did not have the income to pay for the script fill so he asked his mother. I know for a fact pain killers without insurance cost a fortune.

16. Feelings Of U4ia

He has already posted many a threads about how he is worried that his mom found his "stash" and plenty of posts about every drug imaginable. I don't think he tells his mother when and what drugs he does.

Hydrocodone 5mg, 15 of them (I think that is what he received) without insurance is around 14 dollars, at the most. I believe it's actually less.

I am in Pain Management....stronger pain pills DO cost a fortune, but that is the lowest dose of one of the weaker painkillers...it's ridiculously cheap. Cheaper then trying to get an OTC high, which he has posted many times that he does.

EDIT: Just checked, it's around 23 cents per pill (average price based on a couple pharmacies) I pay $1.00 per Oxycodone 30mg pill, this is Hydrocodone 5mg, it's next to nothing.

So that rules out trust, and price.

17. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

That is fucked up. My mother can be paranoid about stuff, but when I was 19 and got my wisdom teeth out, she trusted me to take my pills on a schedule, which I did.

18. Feelings Of U4ia

What would you, at 21 years old, if your mother took your medication and refused to give them to you?

19. Burnt

It also depends on what and where you live. If prescribed named brand compared to generic the price fluctuates. For myself a year ago I pinched a nerve in my back, it cost me 45 dollars for 40 5's of Oxycodone . To me that is a fortune, I contemplated pain next to relief,chose relief . Should have chose pain, the pain only lasted three days and that was with drugs.

20. WanderingSoul

WanderingSoul Free

I'd be very upset and tell her they were MY meds, the doc prescribed them to me and I needed them, and that she had no right to withhold them from me. I'd go the guilt trip route and ask her why she wanted me to be in pain. (But this guy's mom seems unable to listen to reason and doesn't seem to be able to fathom that her son might be hurting) My mother is also not the type to eat pills, so I'd know that wasn't why she was holding them. She's a total health nut.
    Just curious, why are you asking me? What would you do?

And isn't that illegal (unless she paid for them)?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.