Is this bug harmfull

Discussion in 'Cannabis Pests and Problems' started by Mud_Hunter, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

Actually I have 2 bugs deciding to make my grow home. the first 1 is a small black fly...there on the soil mostly...when i find them on the plant there usually dead and stuck :). The 2nd bug is living on the soil...very fffffing small. there not on the plant.... they look beige or drk gold in color....100's of them. Are they harmfull? Pic of the 2nd bug is center in each pic. No pic of the fly.

2. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

fungus gnats are the little black fly's- the second more than likely the larve because they live in the top 2-3 inches of soil. sounds like an infestation. yes they are harmful to the root systems.
    google fungus gnat .

3. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

the second bug looks like a tick actually.

4. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

I may have added the pics after your reply tiedye0420...So how do i get rid of this google or tick gritter?

5. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

These bugs are extremly small...you have to stare at the soil for awhile before u start to see these little ffffer's

6. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

I am not sure about that "tick" looking bug, but fungus gnats come from soil that it too wet/poorly drained. Let your plants' soil get a little dry between waterings. Mj likes the soil somewhat dry between waterings.

7. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

Did these come from the soil? I still have like a bag left...im thinking of freezing the soil ahead of time...maybe killling anything living? I dont want to use the same soil for my clones if i have the same problem.

8. GuySmiley

GuySmiley Member

What kind of soil are you using? You would have to COOK it to sterilize it if it is crappy soil, not freeze the soil.

9. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

get a hotshot pest strip if your in veg still- nothing survives a hotshot.

10. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

I will look at the brand later today...but the soil was purchased from home debot. Proberly not the smartest place to get soil?

Im 2 weeks away from re-veg. Then im cloning...so ill try the hot then. Will the hot shot hurt my clone?

11. b1v2w3

b1v2w3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Following this a little. MH could you get like a real good picture, real close-up and of high quality so all of us insectologist could see it good? A picture is, after all, worth a thousand words! b1

12. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

These bugs are very very small..i got one on a peice of blk duct tape. My camera takes awsome close ups...but damn this guy is small.

13. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

Miracle grow soil. I know longer have the bag to look at for detail info :(

14. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

those bugs are wierd, i hate to say it, but it is possible, worst case scenario, a tiny oval reddish tick . . . well is a deer tick, which is the type that carries lime deseas, although these seem too big still to be one, as these are almost imposibly to view with the naked eye.

15. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

Soooooo...Hot Shot still a good choice? And what about clones....will Hot Shot hurt them?

16. b1v2w3

b1v2w3 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

an insecticide should be used but I would recommend avoiding petroleum derivative types (like hot shot, they smell real nasty). Chemicals derived from the chrysanthenum plant and other plants, called pyrethrins, are are available and are low in toxicity and break down quickly and are easily made by the big chemical companies as well. One such product is made by Ortho under the name NEW Diazinon. Bayer Advanced Garden Spray(I think is the right name) is another one. Mix at the rate of 1 TBSP/Gallon and pour a small amount over the soil or, if you have a spray bottle, spray the soil until it's damp and the general area as well for those black flies.
    To prevent recurrences I would get some Neem oil and do a general area misting once a week. The stuff interferes with insect and fungus and mite development but is not too effective in killing established populations.b1

17. Mud_Hunter

Mud_Hunter Member

Thanks B1 ...I will look for such products.

Ive read putting a layer of sand (like 1/2") on top of the soil keeps this type of insect away?

18. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

vermeculite works well for knat control, a two inch layer on top- letting the soil dry adequately between waterings is the best control. they need moisture and if the top two or three inches stays dry [for the most part] they cannot breed and live.
    ******** only use the hotshot on vegging plants *************
    but it wont hurt clones. chemicals can be harsh but i have heard rave reviews on overgrow about the hotshots. they kill all in their path. hang it up in the grow and everybug dies.
    the bigger bug, looks an awful lot like these buggs i have been finding occasionally in my grow. they did eat some, but not much damage. i only had one or two though.
    you might have problems if they are as plentiful as you say.

pyrithean [crysanthemum] is a very good control for knats, but not sure what it will do to the 'ticks' , neem is tricky at best and as b1 says generally ineffective, except when used extremely dilligantly. and it can easily do as much or more damage than the mites themselves, if not used properly.
    gnats-your on the right track, and maybe the vermeculite will deterr those ticks since they seem to be on the soil.

if they really are ticks, they will hang from leaves- so they can drop in on critters as they go by the plant.
    i had a tick infestation last year, and there was one container with m.g. soil in it come to think of it.
    makes you wonder.
    try f.f. ocean forest next run.

19. tiedye0420

tiedye0420 Member

weevils dude- you got weevils thats what the little 'ticks' are.
    tiedye

20. WayfaringStranger

WayfaringStranger Corporate Slave #34

diotedatious earth, little sharp particles that cut em up and bleed em to death.