Is there anyone who can suggest me books that are best for kids to read?

Discussion in 'Children's Books' started by yhelmoon, Apr 28, 2011.

1. yhelmoon

yhelmoon Guest

I'm having a blog that is all about kids reading and books that are best for them. I conducted a little research but I think it's not enough. I'm hoping for any responses from you. Thanks!

2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

what is the age group?

I love the Little House on the Prairie series..written by Laura Ingles Wilder about her family's life on the frontier. The whole series chronicles their journey from New England out west.

I think the series should be required reading for every kid in America. It gives a great picture of the difficulties of the average frontier family settling the midwest and west.

My mom used to read these books to me as a child. I went back recently and reread them all and found them even more enjoyable as an adult. They really have a way of making you crave wide open spaces and a more simplistic way of life.

My mom started reading these books to me when I was 4, although they're probably better suited for an older age group, maybe 8-12. If you tell me the age group you have in mind I can probably come up with a million suggestions. I am a great appreciator of children's books :)

1 person likes this.
  3. uk steve

uk steve Guest

Hi have you tried looking at books by Denys Watkins Pitchford ? Although his books are now highly collectable and very expensive to purchase ( if they are first editions ) it may be worth your time to check them out . Depending on the type of story you want for your child BB or Denys Watkins Pitchford books are a good read and you also get fantastic illustrations drawn by the author himself ! The most famous of his books are The Little Grey Men a story about the last gnomes in Britain and the follow on book Down The Bright Stream both these books are a delight to read and provide an escape from todays lifestyle , the books were written in the 1940s and can be purchased as reprints . Another book is Brendan Chase again written in the 40s and tells the story of children who whilst on holiday at thier aunts decide not to go back to school and run off and live in the forest ( cant tell you more as would spoil the story ) however they manage to survive for a while , again you have to remember this was written in the 40s so it may sound a bit dated when read out !
    I can say that i have read these books and they are ideal as a way to lose yourself in a bygone time and also in tales that will enchant you and your children all i can say is give at least one a try ! UK STEVE . PS Try looking on internet for BB or Denys Watkins Pitchford you can look at illustrations and also the different books he has written

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

The Giving tree by Shel Silverstein.

5. SiAnO

SiAnO Member

Cathy cassidy is an ace woman and a Hippie. Dizzy is her first book. It's bright pink but just ignore that, it's like tweens and above??? i still enjoy it now though!

6. driftwhistler

driftwhistler Guest

For kids that are learning to read, I would suggest anything by Dr. Seuss. Not so much the Hop on Pop-esque stuff as things more like The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (even though I utterly loathe that book). He creates his own words that kids have to sound out instead of recognize, which is most excellent if they've been taught via the memoization method/

If not, these books are wonderful:
    The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke
    Inkheart by Cornelia Funke
    The Giver by Lois Lowry
    A Girl Named Disaster by Nancy Farmer
    Matilda by Roald Dahl
    Mossflower by Brian Jaques
    All-of-a-Kind-Family by Sydney Taylor
    Let the Circle Be Unbroken by Mildred B. Taylor
    The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman

7. Swallow2012

Swallow2012 Guest

I have a blog, the Swallows Nest Children's Books Site, that is on the same topic. If you have a look there, I have loads of suggestions.

8. 1r0n_0x1d3

1r0n_0x1d3 Member

Stephen Colbert's children's book - I am a pole(and so can you)

9. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

10. Applespark

Applespark Ingredients:*Sugar*

Diary of a wimpy kid... Oh so silly

1 person likes this.
  11. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Banned

Well, how old are the kids, because I know I was reading regular adult novels when I was still in elementary school.

12. emilyshopoff

emilyshopoff Guest

I found 'Secrets of Machu Picchu' great for my kids to read.
    The story has its basis on the historical background of Inca civilization which gives my children a general idea of the civilization and at the same time have fun reading a fantasy novel.

the link to the book is:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009NNHUP8

13. pipgirl

pipgirl Member

It depends on their age.
    As a kid, I loved 'The Indian in the Cupboard' series, 'Mary Poppins' series, Roald Dahl books, and 'Harry Potter' :D

14. homeschoolmom

homeschoolmom Guest

I just was talking about this great book that I found on Kindle. It is called The Haunted Lighthouse and it's by Kathryn Kaye. I had already read another one of her books called, True Tales of Ghostly Experiences. That one is not a kid's book, but The Haunted Lighthouse is the first one of a series that follows a bunch of fourth graders that hunt ghosts and investigate paranormal activity. I was really surprised by how good it was cause the cover is not fantastic. I thought it was great and my son loved it so much that we read the whole thing in one setting. He just couldn't get enough.

15. slappysquirrel

slappysquirrel Senior Member

dr. seus,, i know you've heard of him

16. Spectacles

Spectacles My life is a tapestry Lifetime Supporter

The Phantom Tollbooth.

17. desert-rat

desert-rat Senior Member

This post is around 2 years and the o.p. made only one post , so Yheimoon is in my post and split pile . You could take the kid to a lib./book store and ask what do you like ?

18. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Just let them read whatever they are drawn to. I mean, most kids know what they like.

19. *MAMA*

*MAMA* Perfectly Imperfect

Anything by Eric Carle is good for the littles. Love you forever by Robert Munsch is my favorite.

20. mvmcd1950

mvmcd1950 mvmcd1950

the 'anne of green gables' series by L M Montgomery..