Is that all there is?

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by sneepsnop, May 1, 2013.

1. sneepsnop

sneepsnop Member

[​IMG]

just gonna leave this here...

2. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

The question seem ridiculous in the wake of the entire universe and dude's only drawn an earthly map.

We are star stuff!

3. FlyingFly

FlyingFly Dickens

I kinda don't get meaning of this

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

5. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Is That All There Is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I8aJTxy8DY"]Is that all there is Peggy Lee Lyrics - YouTube

6. sneepsnop

sneepsnop Member

Well the point was that it can't possibly be all there is
    people like to think that earth is the only relevant area in the entire universe and that there can't possibly be other places
    It was just to make the viewer think about how ridiculous of an idea that is, and to show how tiny we all really are
    Don't overthink it

7. Driftwood Gypsy

Driftwood Gypsy Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

You've only scratched the surface.... there is so much more.... within us and without us. The human mind has no idea what's beyond and within.

8. Dexmethylcap

Dexmethylcap Guest

Good explanation, I think it may also hint at a rapidly growing world of electronics, where once unthinkable things are very attainable now. For example, in 1910 if a boy from Canada wanted to talk to, say, Tariq from Pakistan, it would never happen, but in the media age it seems anything is possible. and the world is growing "smaller".

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Its missing two continents anyway

10. We don't even know what this is. Probably never will. You just can't conceive of your place in the universe, how big it is and what that means.

11. Manservant Hecubus

Manservant Hecubus Master of Funk and Evil

I think we can grasp such notions.

12. To truly comprehend something you have to experience it firsthand. There's no way to have a firsthand experience of the scale of the cosmos. There's no way to comprehend it in that way. A mathematical equation might give some people a better idea than others, but it's still not a direct experience. And direct experience does mean something.

And what the earth means in relation to this thing that can't be directly experienced, who knows? It's like if you're on an archaeological dig and find some strange artifact. You would know what it was if you could directly see it in relationship to its true environment. We can't directly know the nature of our true environment, and therefore the nature of the earth, the artifact, can't be established.

13. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

Plus a few islands.

To a finite mind an infinite universe will always provide more.

14. Just think if the universe were the size of a dodge ball and the Earth was the size of a ping pong ball. Then you'd have some relation in distance. I don't know what kind of sense that would make, but there would be more sense than when you shrink the ping pong ball to the true scale of the earth in relation to the universe. I don't know if we're still talking about the same thing as distance anymore. Or substance anymore. It would just be so vanishingly small -- what even is it? Because if you did the same thing with a ping pong ball and a dodge ball, wouldn't you have to travel to some interspace to reach the ping pong ball if it were shrunken to the relative size of the Earth to the universe? Certainly it's not just that it's too small for our microscope to see.