Is Syria the New Iraq?

Discussion in 'America Attacks!' started by Chodpa, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Chodpa

Chodpa Senior Member

Are there similarities or differences? Seems we went to Iraq under false pretenses, and this time, other than false pretenses. I know I saw the chemical weapon footage on TV and was sickened and wanted Assad dead for it. But then again I can't totally believe TV or political spin. For all I know the CIA somehow controlled the situation. I admit I don't trust the US government anymore. Is this whole thing another shell game to misdirect American focus away from NSA trampling our right to privacy?

2. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

The Western political class is lining up for 'some sort of intervention' against Syria. Obamas "considering options" , Cameron recalling Parliment early for a vote on Thursday, the Freanch are calling for a 'punishment' attack.

Stange to me that after 100,000 fatalities in the Syrian Civil War,widely known of bombing by the regime of civilian areas & the massacres commited by both sides,we are about to commit an act of war because a few hundred innocents died in a gas attack. Further Our polititians are going to target the Goverment without any proof of their guilt in those vile attacks.

Again the UN Forensic team arnt being given time to ascertain if it was a chemical attack,much less its source. Some reports claim that Assad is shelling those very areas that were chemically attacked so that there will be little evidence left when the Investigators do get there.

Nor does there appear to be any kind of plan,no apparent intention of 'regime change',its about punishment,or letting Assad know that the "West will not accept the use of chemical weapons on civilians". So we deliver that message in a few Cruise Bombagrams,Assad ignores it,then what?

We do not know what we are getting into here. Syria have long said that were they to be attacked by the west they will target Israel. Syria is run by the Baath Party,Assads as ruthless as Saddam ever was,its highly probable that he will move civilians ,maybe chemical weapon stocks,into likely Cruise missile target areas. A catastrophic own goal for the West.

Syrias war is not simply civil,its sectarian too. In that highly unstable region it may be interpreted that the West have 'sided' against the Shi'has & Iran & Hissbulah. Whether or not Assads supposed willingness to act against Israel was/is bluster, that country is surrounded by enemies. The west is commited to defending Israel,were it threatend we could be in a situation that would pale Iraq into insignificance.

The chemical attack on innocents was criminal ,unhuman,indeed beyond words. But we must not let emotion influence judgement or the consequences could be far worse. We need an intelligent,managed approach in the interests of all concerned-not least the Syrian people.

Keep the West out of Syria !

3. thedope

thedope glad attention Lifetime Supporter

No, iraq had no allies

4. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I think Israel is wrong to keep building in the occupied territories, however-------if Syria attacks Israel with chemical weapons-----(remember Zyclon) --that will be the END of Syria

5. AmericanTerrorist

AmericanTerrorist Bliss

Way different than Iraq in that more players are involved. The same as Iraq in the false pretenses. And I agree that how many have been killed over a two year time period and no one wanted to get involved, no one wanted to get involved...until this! And poof! All the sudden Assad's regime has gone too far? Okay?

I don't have a good feeling about this whole situation at all. :(

6. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

Me neither! Okay, this is pure speculation,but suppose the West attacks Syria & the Shi'ahs see that as an act of war against their sect. Its not beyond possibility that Al Qaeda might see an opportunity to unite extreme Islam against in a far more powerful jihad ("my enemies enemy is my friend") against the West as their mutual enemy.

Fanciful perhaps but if Al Qaeda saw such an opportunity do you doubt they would attempt it ?

7. erica lalala

erica lalala Member

How exactly does Russia and China play into all this? If anyone knows, I'm pretty ignorant of this topic but in an attempt to educate myself I saw some articles that mentioned their involvement

8. StpLSD25

StpLSD25 Senior Member

Russia has big connections with syria for their oil, as does China. Putin has also said "I think Assad best represents the syrian people."

However, I think the true goal here is to get to Iran; As Iran and Syria have a pact to protect each other in the event of an outside attack. This is all a big smoke screen, set to bring about a big war.(Much bigger than iraq FYI)

9. Sig

Sig Senior Member

And Iran isn't stupid enough to go to war over Syria.

10. erica lalala

erica lalala Member

This is all pretty frightening

11. Sig

Sig Senior Member

I wouldn't be scared. Right or wrong, the Syrian government is about it get tore the fuck up and there is nothing they or any of their supposed "allies" can do to stop it.

12. Mr. Frankenstein

Mr. Frankenstein Malice...in Sunderland

So if military intervention is justified because of the use of chemical weapons against civilian populations, are "we" planning to move against Bahrain too ?

Oh, I forgot - they're our friends (at the moment). And oil-rich too, some of which is spent buying chemical weapons from Britain, for use against their population...

British Govt. Encourages Chemical Weapons Use In Bahrain, Syria

Among the hundreds of items of weaponry sold to Bahrain from Britain are the following: CS gas, riot-control irritants, smoke generators, smoke canisters, smoke ammunition, stun grenades, “toxins”, and smoke grenades.

This trade with Bahrain is in spite of the stated British policy that it “does not supply weapons to countries where such arms could be used for internal repression”.

full article - http://dandelionsalad.wordpress.com...ns-use-in-bahrain-syria-by-finian-cunningham/

13. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

The British Parliment has debated its proposed part in unilateral Western intervention against Syria all day today. The Cameron Governments motion, that it should take part in action against the Syrian Authorities 'for the protection of its people', was lost. It was an excellent & very democratic debate with a wide variety of view points shared. The 'ghost' of Blair & Iraq was ever present but,its to be hoped,we have now at last left those days behind for good.

My impression is that David Cameron would not seek Royal perogative for British military action on this issue without another vote.

14. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

120,000 estimated Syrian deaths ,so far, a large proportion of whom were unarmed innocent civilians, caught in careless Regime ariel & artilary bombing & in massacres by them & the Rebels.How many of those deaths are attributable to Chemical weapons ? Not so long ago we were about to arm the Rebels untill we discovered that Assad had a point in calling them Terrorists. Al Qaeda & their kind are too well infiltrated,their training & experience too valued,to be shunned by the legitimate Syrian Rebels.

Al Qaedas real hatred for Assad is not based in religious sectarian feuding. Assad,untill recently ,had been long courted by the West,frequently wined & dined by the UKs Queen,a pal of Tony Blair,his Wife & her English Girlfriends regular shoppers in Londons Knightsbridge. Assad , whatever his thugs did elsewhere in Syria,protected the Christian & about 20 other minorities there,more or less. For Al Qaeda,Assad is an obstacle to their true goal of uniting the middle east against the west.

Al Qaedas real obstacle to unifying the Middle East under Islam is Israel. If Syrias,& neighbouring counties, turmoil endangers Israels security,then so be it. But ,I suspect, Al Qaedas intermediate goal is to assist the Rebels in their victory in Syria,a convienient means of radicalising comrade fighters in itself,then to infest their Host Country , as a stable, safe haven for their cause.

15. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Islam is in a civil war with the two factions of the Muslim religion. The Shiite are the conservative sect, the Sunni are the more liberal sect. Iran was taken over by the Ayatollah Khomeini, a Shiite cleric.
    Iraq was run by Saddam Husein, a Sunni. The Iran/Iraq war was a religious war, that Raygun supplied both sides, so that they'd kill each other off and destroy both economies.
    When Shrub Jr. invaded Iraq, he took out the Sunni government and installed a Shiite lead government. Now Iran can transport weapons to Syria through Iraq. Syria is also Shiite. Jordan, Egypt and Saudi Arabia are Sunni. Al Qaeda is an enigma, originating in Saudi Arabia by Bin Laden.
    Turkey is the remnant of the Ottoman empire. They're mostly Muslim, but their government is secular.
    Afghanistan is tribal, like the Taliban, but with others like the Shinwari, also very conservative like the Shiite.
    Pakistan is very tribal also. The Taliban is there also in the north, but the Shin is the strongest. Also Shiite conservative.
    There are more tribes in the Muslim world than Native American tribes in the U.S.
    But mainly it's liberal and conservative factions, not unlike the U.S. government. It's all about "my God is better than your god", but it's the same God, just like the Baptists and Catholics.
    The U.S. sticking it's nose it this will be seen as just another chapter of the Crusades. It's like putting a stick of dynamite in one hand of a toddler, and a lit match in the other.

16. Sig

Sig Senior Member

Where do you get this bullshit? Your understanding of history is truly pathetic.

17. celebrating

celebrating Member

Also, the USA attacked Iraq, ALONE, going against the United Nations,
    Of course, they pay for the UN, so in a way they OWN it.

It's the same Blueprint as Iraq with Syria now.

Weapons of Mass Destructions, doesn't that sound familiar to all?

18. deviate

deviate Senior Member

I did a bit of research about Sarin gas after this, and also watched a lot of footage online. The issue I have is that some people were convulsing or dead, while others were helping them and seemed unaffected. Yet had no respiration protection, skin protection, or even nitrile/latex gloves on.

Not that wiki is the word of god but as I understand from there and other sites I visited that it is easily absorbed through the skin. Much like most of the chemicals I work around as a mechanic.

Sarin has a high volatility (ease with which a liquid can turn into a gas) relative to similar nerve agents, therefore inhalation can be very dangerous and even vapor concentrations may immediately penetrate the skin. A person’s clothing can release sarin for about 30 minutes after it has come in contact with sarin gas, which can lead to exposure of other people.[14] People who absorb a non-lethal dose but do not receive immediate appropriate medical treatment may suffer permanent neurological damage.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin

I've also seen a lot of dead people in my life, and the pictures and videos of the groups of dead people lined up.. didn't look dead to me. That was my first thought before I even considered this event might have been a hoax. They looked like they were playing possum as we say in the south.

I think the rebels did the gassing if it was real, or it's an even more sinister false flag.

19. Summerhill

Summerhill Member

I have to say that I share deviates sceptisism & for the same reasons. The point I was trying to make in post above is that are we certain who the real bad guys are here? Sure at the start of the Syrian conflict the Rebels held the moral high ground. Since then theres been massacres commited by both sides. Both sides have been careless of 'collateral damage'. The Rebels have captured chemical weapons & the means to deliver to a target.

Al Qaeda & affiliates are in numbers among the myriad groups that we call the Rebels. There is no united Rebel grouping that can claim to represent even a majority. I'm not sure who offers the best prospects for Syrias future-the Rebels or Assad,the Devil we know. The West should be more concerned with getting Humanitarian aid to the suffering civilians & in protecting them (maybe via 'Peace Corridors' to safety,which would mean western Boots on the ground) & seeking the same of the Arab League than taking sides in this insanity.

20. rjhangover

rjhangover Senior Member

Big Brother, the world dictator, can't even pay it's own bills, feed it's own people, or give them healthcare. The Iraq/Afghan war cost $3 trillion. How much for this one? And who's gonna pay for it? The peasant class of America? To be fair, those that want this war should buy their own ticket over there and take their gun. Go save the world.