is sugar addictive?

Discussion in 'Health' started by tigerlily, Jan 26, 2005.

1. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

i swear i think i'm addicted to sugar.. i crave sweets like no other.. if i manage to not eat any sweets one day, i'll binge on sweet stuff the next day or a few days later... any advice??

2. Epiphany

Epiphany Copacetic

Actually, it is. The more sugar you injest, the more sugar you crave. Sometimes I think it based on more of a psychological level though (such as the correlation between chocolate and the brain). During a sugar high, your blood sugars increase and then drop dramatically. This is what causes the sluggish feeling after the high wears off. In return, your body needs more sugar to experience the effect. It is the same with coffee. You must continually drink coffee throughout the day to feel energized. Once you stop, the tired feeling hits you like a brick.

My advice is to eliminate proccessed sugars from your system. Start off slowly. Ween yourself off of packaged snacks and fat free foods that are primarily made up of sugar. There are some decent cookbooks on the market that focus on making desserts using natural sweeteners such as Stevia or Splenda (which is sugar alcohols).

3. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

yeh, if you have a habit of eating sweet things, going cold turkey is a bad thing because your body will have adapted for larger sugar intake, and if you stop, you could face very low blood sugar levels

4. StonerBill

StonerBill Learn

though you should stop. Most people I know get over sugar durign the teenage years though, i find it horrible eating too much sugar these days, i cant stand the feeling of having too much sugar in me, or having the sticky feeling in my mouth.

5. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

6. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

ps, splenda is chlorinated sugar. some say that it's perfectly safe, i think it's easy enough to live without it.

:D

7. alex714

alex714 To the Left

its posion for ya!!
    same with splenda, stay away from that shit.
    its best to use pure sugar, from sugar cane.

8. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

holy shit. :(

thanks for responding guys... i really think i need to wean myself off the sweet stuff... although i have to admit i'm scared... i know i'm gonna fiend for it like a smoker trying to give up cigs...

9. alex714

alex714 To the Left

its hard, i know
    ive really cut down on it all because i used to get the sweet attacks too.

id try to slowly phase it out and just remind yourself how bad it is for you. but if youre going to have some sugar, do not use sweetners. i dont even know where to start with how bad they are.

10. tigerlily

tigerlily proud mama

okay thanks alex... i usually just get sugar from cookies and ice cream and chocolate... :( i've already gotten rid of sodas and juices... *sigh*

11. Small_Brown

Small_Brown Senior Member

Speaking of sugar...I'm very happily wired on it right now!!! HAHAHAHAH! :) Oh I feel so good.

12. nimh

nimh ~foodie~

haha, we should have a sugar forum in with all the other mind altering drug forums

it's easiest to quit sugar cold turkey, well, maybe not easiest, but the cravings will go away quicker (yumm, turkeyy.....)

ps, really do read that book that i suggested earlier, it's excellent :D

13. kayy

kayy Member

I know a guy who decided to get rid of his sugar addiction (as a first step to loose a lot af weight) and he went on a detox camp, only for sugar addicts! And he said it was really hard.

14. pandiebeer

pandiebeer Member

Deleted...

15. Sugar rush!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!