Is society against creativity?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Gypsy_girl, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Gypsy_girl

Gypsy_girl Member

Hey,

I was just wondering why people have to comment on someone creative who wants to ursue a career as a writer or musician or something creative, has to either have a "Back-up job" or a "Real job"?

Any ideas?

2. clockworkorangeagain

clockworkorangeagain femme fatale

because they are wankers?
    also know as stiffs....

and unimaginative, and unfulfilled and basically they suck...

does that answer your question?

i could also go on to note that they are brought up by people of closed minds also

3. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

maybe because they've supported enough "artists" who really do nothing but sit around and complain about "the state of the world" and how "no one understands them" while looking so tormented. frankly, i know i'm sick of it.

4. Diddy Dreads

Diddy Dreads Member

lol i got 3 jobs i count them all as back up jobs to my "task of enjoying life"

I design power stations, nurse, teach kayaking and walking

they are backk ups to my art, drums,bas, keyboard, social life etc....its only money

5. mynameiskc

mynameiskc way to go noogs!

my best friend is marrying a man who's actually making a living off his music. he busts his ass and works hard. that i can deal with.

6. indescribability

indescribability Not To Be Continued

because you don't just throw some paint on a canvas or some words ina book and make a living. it takes time and money, all of which you need a "back-up job" to have. one of these "back up" jobs keeps food in your mouth and roof over your head while you wait to hit the Picasso, King, Grisham level. i know i sure as fuck wouldn't support somebody that wrote and drew all day and never brought in money with it.....well i would, but not for long if they made no other effort to work. it is just like telling somebody who is into sports to have a backup. only the best make it, and while everybody thinks they are the best it does not mean they will catch the same break as another person

7. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Society is against creativity, which ties into individuality.

From the time we are born, we are taught to be followers. That's why we all go through 12 years of indoctrination to make us good slaves of the system.

8. crummyrummy

crummyrummy Brew Your Own Beer Lifetime Supporter

hmm rat took an anti society stance....go figure......

9. Varuna

Varuna Senior Member

Society (which is really just a bunch of people who, in one way or another, relate to one another socially) does reward creativity. If you want to make a living from your creativity you have to:

1) Create something.

2) Find people who believe that what you create is worth paying for.

3) Be willing to sell, or let someone else own, what you create.

4) Repeat step one . . . obsessively. Create something else. Create again and again and again and . . . Create something different every time, create something newer, better, more insightful, more inspired (or resign yourself to mere manufacture).

This is the real challenge that every artist faces - To be constantly open to real inspiration (instead of what is merely stylish or sensational or shocking for the sake of grabbing one's attention) and be ready to allow real inspiration to guide your creativity. Do not interpret your inspiration, or tell it what it must be, until you have successfully recorded it in some concrete form.

Be aware though - If all you want is respect, then don't expect money. And, of course, if all you want is money, then don't expect respect and don't be surprised if your inspiration begins to be difficult to find. It seems that money ceases to inspire all too quickly.

If you lose your inspiration, don't give up, just remind yourself that the real challenge of every artist is to find inspiration, to be constantly open to real inspiration. Inspiration is the real stuff that the artist works with.

10. seamonster66

seamonster66 discount dracula

Ha, all I've ever had are back up jobs really. The way I look at it anyway. I guess a trust fund helps lots of artists, and if you don't have that then:

keep your day job until your night job pays

Sometimes its funny what people consider a "real job."

anyway, fuck 'em, keep doing what you like.